PDA

View Full Version : Transportation Futuristics

iGav
Jul 28, 2004, 07:16 AM
The future never happened.... :eek: :p :p :p

What is “transportation futuristics”? Many of us are familiar with covers from Popular Science that depict commuters buzzing around in tiny aircraft and landing on rooftops, or fanciful drawings of vehicles that run on roads, float on water and also take to the air. The basic problem many of us face each day-- how to get from Point A to Point B in the least amount of time with the least amount of trouble-- has inspired many to dream of marvelous ways to solve that problem.

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/news_events/exhibits/futuristics/index.html

Thoughts???

jsw
Jul 28, 2004, 07:27 AM
Oh, it happened alright. You're using it now. The internet allows us to "travel" without ever needing to go anywhere physically. I can "get to work" with a simple login. Even faster than a rocket car!

brap
Jul 28, 2004, 08:54 AM
Thoughts???
Fascinating... though very much a whistle-stop tour, rather than a study.

I thought a few of those 'original' images looked very photoshopped; particularly the 'nuclear eel', and the 'triple hull radio powered boat'. Artistic license over historical integrity, I'm thinking...

I'm confused as to why they only made a passing mention of contemporary television; a gallery of, for example, some of the more appropriate Gerry Anderson stuff would have sat very well. They also missed out completely on the late 60s-early 70s hype about space flight, fueled by the moon landings. There were some awesome prototype/marketing drawings of those things.

Doctor Q
Jul 28, 2004, 11:49 AM
The transplanetary subway idea (in the Oddities section) is especially wacky and wonderful. But I can't begin to imagine the safety issues. And since they found that it wouldn't be economically viable unless the entire populations of Los Angeles and New York commuted cross country every day, we're not going to find out!