PDA

View Full Version : iPod shows magnifying glass on hard drive

Laslo Panaflex
Jul 28, 2004, 09:17 AM
I turned on my iPod this morning (3G 15gig) and it didn't come on, all that showed was a spinning disk with a magnifying glass held up to it. There also is a little progress bar underneath that is mocving, but slowly. Does this mean that the iPod is just performing a consistency check on my drive, or is it dying? I have never seen or heard about this before, and did a search on this board and found no answer.

Has anyone else ran into this or know what it is?

Laslo Panaflex
Jul 28, 2004, 09:32 AM
Well, its done doing its thing now and seems to be working fine. Is it some sort of consistency check, becuase when it was done a check mark appeared on the disk icon.

Anyway, I have never heard of this or seen it and wanted to let other know so if they come across the same thing, they won't freak out like me.

geekHaus
Aug 18, 2004, 07:07 PM
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60943

Apparently normal, takes 15-20 minutes and the icon at the end tells you if there's anything to worry about.

pyrotoaster
Aug 18, 2004, 08:11 PM
I had no idea the iPod had built-in automatic diagnostic software!
Impressive. :cool:

(BTW, the "Dead iPod" icon brings back memories of my trusty Mac Classic II! :D)

Coolvirus007
Aug 18, 2004, 09:00 PM
The ipod built in diagnostic software starts working if your ipod is totally ********* up (such as a drop or if the ipod can't find your music on the disk). My friends ipod had the same problem and it did nothing to help. This also happened to my OLD ipod. And it did nothing to help either. I suggest that you reset the ipod, force it into disk mode and use the ipod restore software.