PDA

View Full Version : 802.16 WiMAX - how soon?

Grimace
Jul 28, 2004, 10:11 AM
Apple is normally years ahead of the PC makers in terms of Wireless. (Intel almost seemed to "invent" wireless when Apple had the Airport 4 years before!)

With the WiMAX range of up to 30 miles and speeds up to 70Mb - when do you think the earliest adoption of this technology will hit the Powerbooks?

jimsowden
Jul 28, 2004, 10:50 AM
I think it would be integrated into the next powerbooks. 30 miles? That could cause some FCC problems.

Finiksa
Jul 28, 2004, 11:12 AM
The 802.16 standard hasn't been finalized yet, I think it's currently at 802.16e.

However it's not a LAN protocol it's intended for wireless broadband systems. So I wouldn't expect Apple to start including in Powerbooks they'd be pretty much useless.

There are some ISP that are running wireless broadband using 802.16a and their modems are USB and require their own battery packs. I don't know how doable an internal version would be at this point.

osprey76
Jul 28, 2004, 11:43 AM
Anything that has a range of 30 miles would probably have a power need of 50-100 Watts. Powerbooks' batteries would drain in short order with that kind of demand. As Finiksa said, this is for broadband to your house or neighborhood, not your laptop.

mainstreetmark
Jul 28, 2004, 08:53 PM
I had my hands on a 802.16 router for a while (clearwire.com). Everybody hears "wifi" in "wi-max" and assumes they're in small pc-card format. The receiver I had was about 5x4 inches and had to, in my area, be constantly oriented towards the signal. They even suggest sticking it by a window or on the outside of a house.

But, within 5 or so miles of the transmitter, I was able to enjoy broadband, briefly, until I moved further away into even LESS of an internet friendly zone.

I don't think they'll be arriving in powerbooks as standard equipment for a few years, yet.

mcs37
Jul 29, 2004, 06:13 PM
I had my hands on a 802.16 router for a while (clearwire.com). Everybody hears "wifi" in "wi-max" and assumes they're in small pc-card format. The receiver I had was about 5x4 inches and had to, in my area, be constantly oriented towards the signal. They even suggest sticking it by a window or on the outside of a house.

Mark's right. I did a lot of research into WiMax this past semester so I've picked up a lot on it. 802.16a is not designed for personal laptop use but rather broadband at home -- a good alternative to DSL or cable since the reach is so far. However don't expect 70 Mbps at 30 miles. I read that at 5 miles the best bandwidth was something like 30 Mbps, and that was with one user. WiMax is capable of handling up to 1,000 users per access point, but this is of course a best case scenario. At 30 miles away, expect bandwidth far below 1 Mbps.

It's a good stopgap solution between little broadband (cable/DSL) and big broadband (fiber).

You asked for availability. The standards are to be ratified, I believe, this year, and conforming hardware is expected in late 2005 or early 2006. So if you're still using dialup because you're too far away for broadband, don't worry, as a solution is coming.

FYI, 802.16e is in theory much more portable, but more for automobiles. 802.20 is designed specifically for mobility (50 Mbps at 110 mph or so), while 802.16e is rated at a lower speed (around 90 mph). The advantage of 802.16e is that it's downwardly compatible with 802.16a, much like 802.11g with 802.11b. Expect 802.16e plans to be available late 2006 and into mid 2007. If they made vehicular access plans cheap extensions of existing broadband (say an extra $5 per month per vehicle for 1 mbps), we will begin to see the real rise of telematics systems in vehicles that can draw lots of rich data from the Internet to provide services in vehicles not yet possible due to inherent problems with existing systems.

Dr. Dastardly
Jul 29, 2004, 07:52 PM
So we will get the car that drives itself in 2010. I guess thats pretty good. I guess I'll never get my flying car. :(

mcs37
Nov 19, 2004, 12:38 PM
So we will get the car that drives itself in 2010. I guess thats pretty good. I guess I'll never get my flying car. :(

Hey don't give up that easily. There is still hope. (http://www.americanantigravity.com) :)

daveL
Nov 19, 2004, 04:57 PM
Intel has a far amount of info on their site, including what they see as the deployment timeline.