PDA

View Full Version : Russian buys TVR

iGav
Jul 28, 2004, 10:16 AM
And he's only 23 Wowser! :eek:

I wonder what a Russian buying TVR will do for it's legendary unreliability!! heheheheh

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3932531.stm

evoluzione
Jul 28, 2004, 04:20 PM
wow, unbelievable.

so that was the last true british car manufacturer right? apart from all the "cottage" ones of course.

bousozoku
Jul 28, 2004, 06:26 PM
That's pretty amazing. Hopefully, he'll make a positive go of it. We still need wonderfully crazy cars like those from TVR.

I think I'll buy Morgan next week. :D

robbieduncan
Jul 29, 2004, 03:15 AM
wow, unbelievable.

so that was the last true british car manufacturer right? apart from all the "cottage" ones of course.

TVR are/were a "cottage" manufacturer. They only make 1000 cars a year. I hope that they will now be run a business. Quality issues will not be ignored and they might even try and make more cars!

iGav
Jul 29, 2004, 05:43 AM

Technically MG/Rover are still Sterling. ;) a consortium bought back the rights from BMW a few years ago.

If I were to buy TVR, first thing I'd do is get rid of that horrid '80's badge and come up with something a little more classy! heheh :p

Then I'd get to work on the build quality and reliability issues, that needs to be addressed pretty urgently as having bits fall off your cars when they're being road tested by magazines isn't an especially great advertisement.

stevehaslip
Jul 29, 2004, 04:28 PM
its good news for TVR because now they should be able to make better, more reliable, faster cars! It will be amazing as long as they don't start changing the way they do alot of stuff. I don't want to see ford parts in the cars because they were cheap or something! Everything must still be made themselves ust on a larger scale. The tuscan is the best looking car in the world.... End of story!!

Also...interesting side note.
Did you know that when TVR put the tamora in the wind tunnel, it was as bad as a Land Rover Freelander!!!!! (if you aren't from the UK then thats a small (by US standards) 4x4 offroader type thing) which means it was like a brick on wheels! I think they did something to it after they found out. But the problem was that its shaped like a wing and so all it wanted to do was take off. The reason that it happened is that they don't have a wind tunnel where they make the cars so they put off testing it. but with more !!!!! :D:D:D

Counterfit
Jul 30, 2004, 02:57 AM
so that was the last true british car manufacturer right? apart from all the "cottage" ones of course. What about Jordan, Williams, and McLaren? :D

Oh you mean road cars... ;)

iGav
Jul 30, 2004, 04:45 AM
What about Jordan, Williams, and McLaren? :D

Oh you mean road cars... ;)

Out of those... none are British, Jordan are Irish (soon to be bought out by the Dubai Royal family or something) Williams are partially owned by BMW and McLaren by Mercedes (Mercedes are expected to buy McLaren outright, and use them as their exclusive performance brand) :eek:

We still have Morgan, Noble, Radical, Ultima, Caterham, Bristol and a few others though! :D