Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
For some reason I am not finding an answer to this through Google or Macrumors searches.

Anyways I want to increase the amount my Macbooks automatically reduces its brightness when running on battery. Is there a free third party app that lets me set sliders for each option? Or a .plist file that I can edit, if so what lines to look for?

Either option would have to let me still use my brightness keys to change brightness to meet different situations.

It seems silly that Apple did not include custom sliders in the Energy Saver pane. As I would like maximum brightness automatically when plugged in and 2 or 3 from minimum when on battery.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you uncheck the option to adjust the brightness automatically, then plug it in and set your brightness, then unplug and set your brightness, it should switch automatically.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you uncheck the option to adjust the brightness automatically, then plug it in and set your brightness, then unplug and set your brightness, it should switch automatically.

Unfortunately if I change the brightness it would remain at that setting. Where I am looking to make an automatic setting instead.

Would something like Shades suit your needs?

It is interesting but using it. It seems as though it changes the brightness rather than the backlight strength. So if I use this program at minimum with backlighting at maximum. The screen will be nearly blacked out while it seems as though the backlighting is still strong.

I am surprised there is no simple app to set automatic backlight strength for battery and power adapter like Windows has.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.