Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

segundo

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2003
I recently ordered a 12" Powerbook. The original order was canceled and had a description of:
PBG4 12.1/1.33/SD CTO

I was never told why the original order was canceled. Calling the Apple store provided no new information on why it shows up as canceled. However, the new entry shows up as the following:
PBG412.1/1.33GHZ/256/80G/SD/AP/BT/LL

I can understand almost all of this except the LL. The 80G is the harddrive (upgraded), the SD is the Superdrive, the AP is the Airport Extreme, the BT is Bluetooth . . . but what is LL?

Another odd item . . . the part number changed from a standard build-to-order number (Z08C) to a new number (Z08C04K03). Any thoughts on why or what that may mean?

Sorry if this is standard fare, but this order has been delayed a few times and I'm trying to figure out why.

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
My order says the same thing (ll), but it is for a 15" PB and it shipped today (ordered on the 23rd). My only guess is that it might have something to do with the keyboard since that is the only item that isn't shown in the short description.

PS: I finally made it to 500 posts!

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
if it's really buggin' ya, dial up 1-800-MY-APPLE

i'm sure they can tell you what it is, and if they can't, i'm sure it's nothing important...

enjoy the 'book if you ever get it,
reality

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
My New Powerbook 15" Says the same thing:

PBG4 15/1.5/1024/80G/SD/AP/BT/LL

Z0A304G3Z

My old Powerbook G4 12" (gone), about 1 year ago, said the same /LL thing to it too.
I think because its CTO, it has LL?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
At first I though this was just the LL that we always see in Apple product numbers, e.g., M9462LL/A, but you are right - it looks more like a feature of the product, so your question is a good one.

The PowerBook product specs have no feature that has a double L (except maybe "iLLuminated keyboard" :) ). So the mystery remains.

segundo

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2003
realityisterror said:
if it's really buggin' ya, dial up 1-800-MY-APPLE

That's what was really a shame . . . I did call and they couldn't tell me. The woman on the phone really had no idea what it stood for.

When she asked me if there was anything else she could help me with I asked "Yes, could you tell me when the new iMac's will ship?" Needless to say, she responded with "Thank you for calling Apple, goodbye." :rolleyes:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
From THE LEGENDARY LORE OF THE DOUBLE LL'S:

sup204.jpg

It could be that Superman's LL (as in Lana Lang, Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, etc.) has nothing to do with Apple's LL (as in Part #s and PowerBook features), but we don't want to ignore possible connections, do we?

(Sorry. I've been hearing a lot about Comic-Con, held in San Diego last weekend, so this is what came to mind.)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Limited Liability
Lava Lamp
Leisure-suit Larry
(shipping at) Long Last

Been a while since I worked for a reseller but Apple product numbers always had LL in them.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
rdowns said:
Been a while since I worked for a reseller but Apple product numbers always had LL in them.
Right, but in this case there is an LL in the shorthand product description. That's the puzzle.

Chubby Cox

macrumors member
May 2, 2004
i had the same thing happen to me...ordered a 12" powerbook with hd upgrade on the 16th, estimated shipping was the 22nd, then it was pushed back to the 28th, then was pushed back to the 30th and the original one was cancelled and a new one came up with that product description. hopefully when they say it'll ship the 30th they actually mean it this time.

segundo

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2003
Chubby Cox said:
i had the same thing happen to me...ordered a 12" powerbook with hd upgrade on the 16th, estimated shipping was the 22nd, then it was pushed back to the 28th, then was pushed back to the 30th and the original one was cancelled and a new one came up with that product description. hopefully when they say it'll ship the 30th they actually mean it this time.

I think everyone's 12" with a hd upgrade was redone with a new product number.

Thanks for chiming in . . . that clinches it. They must have made that particular configuration a standard part number. I saw a MacRumors thread where that had happened to the iBook/Superdrive models last March. (Man, I dig MacRumors) Mine shipped last night, hope yours did too. :D

Here is a segment of an email I received concerning my order last night:

To Our Valued Apple Customer:
Thank you for your recent order.

We would like to inform you that we have made changes to your
order so that we might better fulfill it. We wanted to make you
aware of the adjustment immediately to avoid any confusion. The
modification to your order affected only the part number and did
not affect the configuration or the price of your computer.​

I guess the LL in the description could be indicating that this is no longer a custom order but rather a standard part now, but it throws me off that it is in the product description. Oh well, I'm just glad it shipped.

Thanks to everyone for the help, it's discussions like these that keep me coming back for more every day.

segundo

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2003
Chubby Cox said:
mine just shipped last night. and i got that email about the product number being changed.

Excellent! Sounds like we are good to go! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.