Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ColinEC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
On my 13" MacBook Pro, the hinge makes a cracking noise on the right side of the computer (near the power button) when the screen is positioned all the way back.

The entire hinge also makes a loud popping noise when I adjust the screen position. The screen seems very tight, and it takes a little bit of effort to move the screen, and when the screen is moved it makes the loud popping noise.

This is probably going to make some of you guys cringe, but sometimes putting pressure down on the top of the case close to where the black hinge meets to unibody enclosure seems to stop the popping noises. Putting downwards pressure on the hinge, or flipping the computer over and putting pressure on it that way, also seems to alter how much popping noise there is.

If I mess around a bit with applying pressure on different parts of the computer around the hinge, I can usually eliminate the noise. But, the cracking noise when I put the screen all the way back is still there.

Any ideas what to do? It's not interfering with the operation of the computer, it's just incredibly annoying and this is only a four month old machine which shouldn't be creaking and cracking already.

Michael York

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2009
I would probably suggest taking it to the nearest Apple store - something obviously isn't right.

Hopefully, they'll be able to sort it out on the spot.

harperjones99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Some consistency would be nice...before lots of people were talking about loose hinges...now seeing too tight or sticking hinges is happening. Come on Apple WTF. It can't be that hard to make things consistent...but then again it's all put together in China and anyone who has been there knows that culture doesn't understand "quality" and "tolerances".

ColinEC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Some consistency would be nice...before lots of people were talking about loose hinges...now seeing too tight or sticking hinges is happening. Come on Apple WTF. It can't be that hard to make things consistent...but then again it's all put together in China and anyone who has been there knows that culture doesn't understand "quality" and "tolerances".

Exactly. It's not like the creaking is totally interfering with my computer use, but the thing is barely four months old.

I can understand that they probably have a tough time with keeping the hinges consistent because it's a mechanical part though, so I don't know if I can realy complain all that much, but it's still a bit annoying when we pay a lot for these things.

harperjones99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Exactly. It's not like the creaking is totally interfering with my computer use, but the thing is barely four months old.

I can understand that they probably have a tough time with keeping the hinges consistent because it's a mechanical part though, so I don't know if I can realy complain all that much, but it's still a bit annoying when we pay a lot for these things.

Yep...I looked for videos on how to adjust or lube the hinges and didn't see any. I am sure someone who knows how to take them apart on the unibodies can tell you if it's an easy DIY thing to save yourself the hassle but short of that I would just take it in.

Ignore anyone who says you are being picky etc as that is easy to say when it's not their stuff not working right. We have a right to expect good quality for the price premium Apple charges. When cheap plastic laptops have QC that is just as good as ones double their cost it's not right.

bingow

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2021
Alto, NM
Ancient thread, but my 2012 Unibody MBP's lid suddenly became harder to open and close. In fact, if closed, it springs back about ½". It does not make any noise, as described above. Nothing appears out of alignment; found two slightly loose screws on the case bottom, but retightening had no affect. I did a thorough cleaning with canned air but no help. Online search offers plenty of help for hinges being too loose, but not much for too tight, except several "do not lube... with anything!" We bought this Mac new in 2013, and it performs perfectly (with new battery and SSD, done a year ago). I really don't want to open it up unless someone has an idea?

Diablo360

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
The screen probably needs to be adjusted and re seated. Might be best to take it into The Apple store

bingow

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2021
Alto, NM
Thanks, @Diablo360 ... That's interesting. I used a 12" steel straight edge and found the following:
the case bottom shows a 1/16" crown in the center (diagonally) as opposed to the straight edge's ends, but flat across the keyboard, including the keys. The Screen itself is countersunk about 1/32" all around the lid rim, and is flat across the screen. The lid top shows the same 1/16" crown as the case bottom. The lid/hinge spaces/gaps all appear exactly even.

If the above observations causes anyone's hair to stand on end, please advise. (the battery is a NuPower, one yr old, 93% health. The lid's stiffness appeared overnight, vs gradually).

I'm 132 miles from the nearest qualified tech, so I'm going to live with it. The lid stays closed if the Mac is turned upside down, due to the extra weight, but stays ½" open upright. So, upside down it is.

Webster's Mac

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2016
Ancient thread, but my 2012 Unibody MBP's lid suddenly became harder to open and close. In fact, if closed, it springs back about ½". It does not make any noise, as described above. Nothing appears out of alignment; found two slightly loose screws on the case bottom, but retightening had no affect. I did a thorough cleaning with canned air but no help. Online search offers plenty of help for hinges being too loose, but not much for too tight, except several "do not lube... with anything!" We bought this Mac new in 2013, and it performs perfectly (with new battery and SSD, done a year ago). I really don't want to open it up unless someone has an idea?
Apple won't replace the hinges on those I believe. Only a full display unit replacement but idk if they do any repairs besides batteries on MacBook Pros from 2012. HOWEVER, if you are handy, you can swap the hinges yourself!

I've used these before: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2916234916...Tz24mKFAsZg/FziszOs/twffmrcv|tkp:BFBMiJmipIpg

Follow iFixit's guide for removing the display assembly: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Display+Replacement/10366

The hinge clutch cover (black piece) should slide off ( I between it slides from right to left?)

Then you have the hinges that are held in with Torx bits. Remove, replace, slide hinge clutch cover back on, then do the reverse of the iFixit guide to reinstall the display assembly (though be sure you line up the display properly...what I do is screw down one screw on each side just snug enough so I can shut the lid, then I unscrew and adjust alignment as needed until it's perfect).

If you don't want to do the repair yourself, a local computer repair shop should be able to do it!

bingow

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2021
Alto, NM
Thanks @Webster's Mac for showing me that what's involved is well beyond my shaky hands (I had trouble installing the SSD). I'll either live with it as long as it doesn't seem to get worse, or start calling around for an estimate. Good to know that those hinges are readily available.

I am tempted, however, to try powdered graphite, available in a small tube that can be squeezed to puff out a small amount (great for car door locks). But it's a conductor! Anyone try it, or hair stand on end at the thought?

Thanks again; I had no idea what was involved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.