PDA

View Full Version : 'Simpsons' Will Out a Gay Character

MacNut
Jul 28, 2004, 01:31 PM
'Simpsons' Will Out a Gay Character
By Gary Susman, Entertainment Weekly

Will Smithers officially come out of the closet on 'The Simpsons'?

After 15 seasons, one of the characters on ''The Simpsons'' is finally coming out of the closet, setting the stage for TV's first cartoon gay wedding. So says producer Al Jean, who told fans at last weekend's Comic-con convention in San Diego that an episode in the coming season will address the currently topical issue of gay marriage. ''We have a show where, to raise money, Springfield legalizes gay marriage,'' Jean said, according to the Associated Press. ''Homer becomes a minister by going on the Internet and filling out a form. A longtime character comes out of the closet, but I'm not saying who.''

''It's Homer!'' joked creator Matt Groening. OK, it's not Homer, but who? The obvious guess would be nuclear plant owner Mr. Burns' assistant, Waylon Smithers, who's always harbored a barely veiled crush on his ancient boss, but we doubt that Mr. Burns would want to reciprocate, much less make it official with a walk down the aisle. Could it be a bartender Moe? Homer's pals Larry and Carl? Comic Book Guy, who seems to have no romantic life at all? Or one of the female characters?

Other revelations about the upcoming season: Guest voices will include Ray Romano, Kim Cattrall, 50 Cent, and James Caan. Groening also addressed the reports that a ''Simpsons'' big-screen movie is getting underway, telling conventioneers that work probably won't begin in earnest on the film until the series goes off the air. Given the still-strong ratings for TV's longest-running sitcom, that probably won't be any time soon.

Laslo Panaflex
Jul 28, 2004, 01:38 PM
They should make this season their last, that way they can produce the DVD season sets much faster. The new seasons are getting jaded, and unfortunately I have lost interest in them. The DVDs however are great, and season 4 which was just released is probably one of the best ever.

As for a Simpsons movie, I guess that would be cool, but only if the old writers come back and make it one uber Simpsons outing with numerous cameos by big time actors.

P.S. The gay character is the Old Sea Captain. You heard it here first.

yellow
Jul 28, 2004, 01:48 PM
Dude! I was just going to post that the character coming out was Capt. McAllister, but I'm too late!
So I guess.. you heard it here second. :)

Roger1
Jul 28, 2004, 02:03 PM
pffft! It's Milhouse! :D His love for Lisa is all a ploy so he came come over and see Bart :D Seriously, I think it's Moe.

MacNut
Jul 28, 2004, 02:05 PM
Im gonna say its Milhouse's Father or it could be Lisa's teacher Ms Hover

revenuee
Jul 28, 2004, 02:06 PM
Flanders ... gotta be Flanders -- common -- no one is that Holy without a hidden agenda

yellow
Jul 28, 2004, 02:10 PM
From across the filthy floor of the Krusty Burger...

Otto catches the eye of the Squeaky Voiced Teen.

The music comes up...

MacNut
Jul 28, 2004, 02:10 PM
True but have you seen Marge's sisters, its could be one of them

yellow
Jul 28, 2004, 02:13 PM
Possibly this brings new meaning to "Cletus the Slack Jawed Yokel".

It could be Selma. Married to Patty.

krimson
Jul 28, 2004, 02:15 PM
it's Lenny & Karl

MacNut
Jul 28, 2004, 02:16 PM
Possibly this brings new meaning to "Cletus the Slack Jawed Yokel".

It could be Selma. Married to Patty.

No they are sisters, might it be Skinner

agreenster
Jul 28, 2004, 02:21 PM
Santa's Little Helper?

MacNut
Jul 28, 2004, 02:21 PM
Ive always loved the Simpsons, even tho people say its losing its punch, I still think it has its good one-liners, Although I think Family Guy has surpassed the Simpsons in comedy shock value and I hope Cartoon Network makes new episodes. I still think the Simpsons has many more years of laughs in them and this may be enough hype to keep it going kind of like the who shot Mr Burns plot.

poopyhead
Jul 28, 2004, 02:23 PM
No they are sisters, might it be Skinner

cant be skinner
he and miss karbawful almost got married and were walked in on by bart
and for moe
when he got plastic surgery he became a ladys man (which doesnt say much but i would guess agains him)
ill go with flanders
and maybe this episode will have another cameo with john waters

EDIT: flanders marries the sea captin
episode ends with a drunken wedding reception
repeat guest spot of the village people and singing in the navy

kgarner
Jul 28, 2004, 02:48 PM
Can't be Smithers, he is basically out and he even kissed Mr. Burns in the episode about the Angel skeleton they found. That makes it too easy and so it will be someone else.

My money is on either Lenny and Carl (though they did say character not characters, so Lenny), or the Sea Captain.

applemacdude
Jul 28, 2004, 03:09 PM
I think its Lenny and Carl

poopyhead
Jul 28, 2004, 03:11 PM
I wonder if both the charicters will really get married because they are gay or if one of them will do it for tax reasons

gwuMACaddict
Jul 28, 2004, 03:17 PM
i'm thinking flanders or millhouse

Hemingray
Jul 28, 2004, 03:28 PM
I think it's gonna be.... stupid. :rolleyes:

LethalWolfe
Jul 28, 2004, 03:53 PM
I think it's gonna be.... stupid. :rolleyes:

If it was just another episode that's one thing. But they hyped it Comic-con? Geez, just kill the show. Kill the show and destroy every episode made in the past 4 years.

Lethal

rainman::|:|
Jul 28, 2004, 04:13 PM
while i will agree that it's been going downhill for the past few years, i think this season they've gotten better again, going for a bit more adult fare, inside/hidden jokes (if you miss these, you may think it's entirely stupid) and totally random stuff that winds up working pretty well.

But, they've already done at least one gay episode, and it's been a prevalant topic throughout the series. Gay jokes have always been done. Seems like it's getting redundant here.

I don't care who it is, i just hope they don't make a mockery out of gay marriage.

paul

stevehaslip
Jul 28, 2004, 04:14 PM
i think that they should have ended it a while back, they should have gone out with a bang when it was still good. Now it just seems like they're dragging it out for moneys sake. I think they keep it to fill holes in the schedule!!! :eek:

MongoTheGeek
Jul 28, 2004, 04:26 PM
I don't care who it is, i just hope they don't make a mockery out of gay marriage.

I think the Canadian Lesbians who started the divorce process 4 days after getting married beat them to that one. :)

w00tmaster
Jul 28, 2004, 05:06 PM
Come on Duffman, if ever there was a thread for you, this is it!
I'm sure Duffman has the dirt.

virividox
Jul 28, 2004, 05:41 PM
I think the Canadian Lesbians who started the divorce process 4 days after getting married beat them to that one. :)

haha thats true

my vote is lenny and carl; but i wonder how the freemasons would take to gay memebers!!!

King Cobra
Jul 28, 2004, 05:44 PM
I know this is a long post, but I want to address a few things, mostly because I'm a Simpson's fan, and because I want to distinguish some things about the "Jean era," eventually with respect to the change in future episodes based on the new gay character, whoever that is.

Al Jean had a fairly solid first year or two after he took Groening's place. One of his better episodes includes the Y2K horror film. But when I saw the episode where Homer goes from losing his car from a whole bunch of car accessories that started with a cell phone, then went to walking and a follow-up song about walking, then continued randomizing the plot every two minutes, I lost so much interest in the Simpsons. I realized that Al Jean had ran out of energy that was left over from the unusually twisted comical Matt Groening style of humor. Sure, it could happen to anyone that took over Matt Groening's spot. But with desperate attempts to grab the audiance back, such as a revelation, you know that the Simpsons don't have much longer to go.

The twist with the revelation of a gay character of the Simpsons, however, is one of change in the style of the Simpsons. Instead of every episode pretty much ending how it began, this one signals yet another change in the format of the Simpsons. That isn't always a great thing. It's nice to know that each episode begins and ends pretty much the same, even if there is no evolution of a story outside of the episode, because then you don't feel responsible to have to watch every episode to know that the story has changed and from what to what. Of course, some people will follow the story as it changes, but (to all Simpsons fans) if you don't understand why Ned and Homer divorced the Las Vegas girls, much less who the Las Vegas girls are, then you do understand that if you don't follow the story, then there will be confusion and/or a loss of some comical aspect about the changing story.

The change about the gay character can go two ways: It can open doors to more comical references about the gay character while the plot about any one future episode is dedicated in part to the gay character (door #1), or the change can mostly die off after one episode (door #2). Unless the gay character plays an important role from episode to episode, or is seen in most of the Simpsons episodes (examples: Moe, Lenny/Carl, Flanders, most any character mentioned in this thread), then forthcoming episodes will enter through door #1. But if the character is only shown in episodes every so often (example: Comic Book Guy, Skinner's mother, the judge whose name I can't recall), then forthcoming episodes will very quickly resort back to the Al Jean era of the Simpsons. Now, recall that because Al Jean's episodes have ran out of the luster of Matt Groening's twisted humor, Al Jean has ran out of ideas to keep the show as comical and unusual as it was. So Jean will probably be looking for some new change in the Simpsons, maybe even desperately enough to reveal a gay character in an episode. But I don't see Jean keeping the focus of the Simpsons on a gay person for too long, except to say that so[-and-so] is an additional gay person living in Springfield. He has kept the theme of the Simpsons almost the same (i.e. the story pretty much comes back on itself nearly every episode) as it has been and has done so for years, making small changes along the way. Hence, I think the gay character is of little importance to the Simpsons, to Al Jean, or to the Al Jean era of Simpsons episodes, and forthcoming episodes will follow through door #2.

With all that being said, I'm guessing that either Principal Skinner or Dr. Hibbert is the gay character.

Savage Henry
Jul 28, 2004, 05:46 PM
Mo Syzlak: he cries every time he reads Little Women.

Kingsnapped
Jul 28, 2004, 06:09 PM
Hibbert and Lenny (or Carl, not sure who) are both married. Doubt it's them.

I'm guessing Patti. They have been alluding to her being a lesbian for a long time, yet never "came out" with it.

Then again... Duff-Man (or the guy that "plays" him) has always been flamboyant.. could it be?

Abstract
Jul 28, 2004, 06:31 PM
Don't think its Milhouse. Geez, he's only 10 and he's going to get married?

Anyway, I'm going to guess it may be a couple of characters on the Simpsons who get together, so I believe it'll either be Patti (or Selma) and Ms Krabopple (spelling?), or Moe and some other recurring character.

Durandal7
Jul 28, 2004, 06:54 PM
It's Maggie. No one thought she shot Mr. Burns either.

evoluzione
Jul 28, 2004, 07:20 PM
Apu :)

applemacdude
Jul 28, 2004, 07:46 PM
Apu :)

Apu is married

Sol
Jul 28, 2004, 07:51 PM
Hibbert and Lenny (or Carl, not sure who) are both married.

Let me correct you: Lenny once confessed about lying to Carl that he is married to a beauty queen. Everything Lenny ever does in The Simpsons involves Carl and the two have become inseperable over the years. I am 50% certain that it is Lenny who will come out. Having said that, I have a doubt that it is him only because the announcement implied that only one character will come out; who would Lenny get married to if it is not Carl?

Ned Flanders' personality was disected in the episode where he went into a mental asylum. Basically he was a juvenile delinquent whose wild side was spanked into repression by his psychiatrist. He has a moustache and if he did come out, he would want to do it with God's aproval. Ned Flanders gets 25%

I do not think it is Wailand Smithers because his sexuality is an open secret in Springfield. Besides, the only one he would ever get married to is his boss, Montgomery Burns. Having said that, the old chap would get married to Smithers purelly for tax reasons; anything to save a buck. I give Burns a 20% chance.

It could also be SideShow Bob, who got married only as a cover to kill Patty. If he was not gay before then he could have turned gay after that experience. ;) I give Sideshow Bob a 5% chance.

Millhouse is gay and has a crush on Bart. He nearly confessed as much in one sleepover at the Simpsons' house but Bart completely ignored him. His school councelor once said (to Marge & Homer) that Milhouse had a lot of homosexual tendencies (the councelor mistook Milhouse's file for Bart's). I think it was the trauma of his parents' divorce that pushed him over the edge. I am certain that Milhouse is gay but he is ten years old and for that reason he gets 0%

Krizoitz
Jul 28, 2004, 07:55 PM
My thoughts

Smithers: Horrible choice. The best part about his character is the allusions they keep making to it but never confirm.

Flanders: Too easy, too boring. Come on. The über religious guy? That would be so uncreative of them. Besides they need him as the conservative religious character. It gives them something to contrast.

I think Selma is the best (or Patty, can't rmemeber which is which)

leftbanke7
Jul 28, 2004, 09:34 PM
The episode is supposed to involve Patty marrying an LPGA golf pro. http://www.snpp.com/upcoming.shtml Go down to the "Unscheduled Episodes On Fox" area.

homerjward
Jul 28, 2004, 10:20 PM
the episode where homer moved in with the two gay guys was hilarious, and also the weird al cameo :D i think it wont be homer cause then he would divorce marge again, tear apart the family and ruin the series...my vote's on...either smithers and flanders w/ rod and todd saying "daddy's sinning." hilarious!! or maybe...ms hoover and milhouse's mom. patty took a vow of celibacy, as told in the episode where she married sideshow bob and selma, well selma...uhh about that. if they show a gay wedding that would be so funny but they'd have gay activist groups ridin their ass so hard! (pun intended) that they'd probably have to make a public apology or something, that is if it's portrayed as a mockery. well, whatever they do it'll be funny as hell. yes, my sn is based on the simpsons. my favorite character is homer, whose middle initial is j, and my last name is ward

Kingsnapped
Aug 5, 2004, 09:10 PM
Did anybody actually watch this episode? I missed it, and can't find an episode capsule for it...

MacNut
Aug 5, 2004, 09:15 PM
You didn't miss it and you can't find it anywhere because the episode hasn't aired yet. It is scheduled for sometime in the 04-05 season.

ColoJohnBoy
Aug 5, 2004, 10:26 PM
Just for the record, it's Krabapple. Ms. Krabapple.

Krabapple. Krab apple. Crap apple...... and so on :p

Kingsnapped
Aug 5, 2004, 11:13 PM
Wow.. for some reason I thought it was last sunday.

I still know it'll be Patti though.

Neserk
Aug 8, 2004, 03:22 PM

Well, they still won't beat the couple (forget who) who were married for minutes.

My guess is that when everything settles down the divorce rates for gay couples will be the same as for straight couples.

In the end we are all human and sometimes make bad choices regarding partners or let our relatinships slip or do stupid things while in them... our sexual orientation doesn't change that at all.

Neserk
Aug 8, 2004, 03:22 PM
Wow.. for some reason I thought it was last sunday.

I still know it'll be Patti though.

Won't that be the easy way out? People generally more accepting of women being gay than they are of men being gay. I'd rather see a gay male couple.

~Shard~
Aug 8, 2004, 04:06 PM
Smithers is too obvious of a choice - I think it will be the 3-eyed fish... ;)

LifeIsCheap
Sep 29, 2004, 10:51 PM
The truth is out!
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004452435,00.html

[Edited to remove spoiler. Sorry for those who saw!]

MacNut
Sep 29, 2004, 11:08 PM
Damn, you ruined it, but I suspected it might of been. ;)

Abstract
Sep 30, 2004, 02:45 AM
Was there ever any doubt? :p

JLS
Oct 1, 2004, 05:27 PM
Im going for duffman.. tight clothes, lots of women around him but no girlfriend... um... tour bus!

http://www.finalesimpsons.de/content/grab_pics/duffman.jpg

~Shard~
Oct 4, 2004, 05:11 PM
Im going for duffman.. tight clothes, lots of women around him but no girlfriend... um... tour bus!

I don't know if MacRumor's Duff-Man will agree with that one! ;)

solvs
Oct 4, 2004, 07:43 PM
Well, there was that one episode where they had the Gay Pride Parade. There were 2 characters "in-the-closet". Something about "don't tell Mom and Dad". Both are pretty obvious, so clicking on the link doesn't really tell you anything you didn't already know if you watch the show. If true, it makes sense.

I don't know if MacRumor's Duff-Man will agree with that one! ;)
Edit: I'm expecting something like - "Duff-man's not gay... not that there's anything wrong with that. Oh yeah!"

Doctor Q
Oct 4, 2004, 08:25 PM
I'm expecting something like - "Duff-man's not gay... not that there's anything wrong with that. Oh yeah!"You didn't get the prefix quite right. It should be Duff-Man says....Duff-man's not gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that!...oh yeah!

solvs
Oct 4, 2004, 08:44 PM
You didn't get the prefix quite right.
Yeah, I forgot the "Duff-Man says" part. I was going to edit it, but that's ok. You knew what I meant. :p

Though I'm no Duff-Man. Oh yeah!

~Shard~
Oct 4, 2004, 08:46 PM
You didn't get the prefix quite right. It should be Duff-Man says....Duff-man's not gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that!...oh yeah!

Precisely, thanks for that Doctor Q. And I think there needs to be a few more !!!s at the end of the statement just to make it more accurate... ;) :cool:

tveric
Oct 4, 2004, 09:17 PM
i think that they should have ended it a while back, they should have gone out with a bang when it was still good. Now it just seems like they're dragging it out for moneys sake. I think they keep it to fill holes in the schedule!!! :eek:

You are not alone.... I remember reading criticism of the show that sounded exactly like this... in 1997. Oh, and in 1998... and 1999, 2000, 2001..... you get the idea.

It's still hilarious most weeks, and easily better than 90% of the crap that's on TV at any other given time (and better than 99% of what else is on Fox). The "jumped the shark" crowd has become an internet staple, just one more part of the gigantic collection of buffoons online that like to claim all things were better in the past than they are now.

Doctor Q
Oct 4, 2004, 09:24 PM
You are not alone.... I remember reading criticism of the show that sounded exactly like this... in 1997. Oh, and in 1998... and 1999, 2000, 2001..... you get the idea.The same for Saturday Night Live. People imply it was great once and no longer ever is. In truth, some years are better than others, some shows in a given year are better than others, and some skits on a given show are better than others. Much of it was so-so last week, but the stuck-on-an-escalator skit was hilarious, imho. You have to watch these shows regularly to see the very best parts.

solvs
Oct 5, 2004, 06:40 AM
The skit with the debates was pretty funny. And it's always fun to watch Affleck and Baldwin make fun of themselves. But the Debbie Downer sketch wasn't as funny with the straight faces. It was only funny the first time because they were cracking up (thank you Jimmy Fallon).

Much like the Simpsons, some episodes are better than others.

2A Batterie
Oct 5, 2004, 10:41 AM
Why hasn't anyone taken a guess that Disco Stu is gay? What about Hans Moleman?

MacRumorSkeptic
Oct 5, 2004, 12:14 PM
Sounds like a Jump the Shark moment. Even though it already jumped with the death of Maude Flanders.

MacNut
Feb 16, 2005, 08:48 PM
This episode is scheduled to air on Sunday so we shall find out who comes out.

angelneo
Feb 16, 2005, 09:14 PM
This episode is scheduled to air on Sunday so we shall find out who comes out.
Hmm.. Its a pretty old thread, but I think they have already out that person. I think its one of the smoking sisters.