PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find the information on which revision PowerBook mine is?

SolidGun
Jul 28, 2004, 02:08 PM
I was just curious as to where the information was stored. I bought mine last week from Apple store, but just wanted to make sure it was the latest revision.....which is C right?

Mord
Jul 28, 2004, 02:12 PM
click on the apple menu and select about this mac and if it says 1.33GHz then you have a rev.c

SolidGun
Jul 28, 2004, 02:14 PM
Thx for the reply Hector, but that's the only way to find out? There is no other documentation or stickers indicating which this is?

Mord
Jul 28, 2004, 02:16 PM
apple never states that it's a rev.c it's just a made up name to say it's the thierd generation of the current form factor.

it should say on the box 1.33GHz 12" powerbook with all the specs

wrldwzrd89
Jul 28, 2004, 02:17 PM
Thx for the reply Hector, but that's the only way to find out? There is no other documentation or stickers indicating which this is?
You could always check sites that list Mac models (such as http://www.apple-history.com/) and look for the one with your specifications.

jane doe
Jul 28, 2004, 02:27 PM
People on these boards often refer to their computers as a "Rev B" powerbook if they have a certain model

going buy the processor speed or the "generation" does not equate to Rev.

For example a 1.33Ghz is not a Rev C powerbook.

Everytime something changes in the hardware it is assigned a "rev letter". for example if you have a 1.33Ghz powerbook that was originally specced for a certain drive, while in the production run they change the drive manufacture, then it gets a new Rev letter.

It is sometimes possible to have several "Revs" of a machine that are of the same family. a 12" powerbook may have 5 revs before it gets an updated processor.

Minor changes count as revs as well. If what is included with the system changes, then it could be considered a new "Rev"

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 28, 2004, 02:29 PM
People on these boards often refer to their computers as a "Rev B" powerbook if they have a certain model

Everytime something changes in the hardware it is assigned a "rev letter". for example if you have a 1.33Ghz powerbook that was originally specced for a certain drive, while in the production run they change the drive manufacture, then it gets a new Rev letter.

It is sometimes possible to have several "Revs" of a machine that are of the same family. a 12" powerbook may have 5 revs before it gets an updated processor.

Minor changes count as revs as well. If what is included with the system changes, then it could be considered a new "Rev"

I thought that back in the Performa days that the stickers on the box or CPU stated the revision letter.

Mord
Jul 28, 2004, 02:30 PM

not really rev. no. indicates a change in spec not manufacturer sometimes the specs change and apple dose not even say (the latter rev.a g5's have 8x superdrives) a rev. change is when apple announces a new line with improved specs not just changeing drive manufacturer which they do constantly.

jane doe
Jul 28, 2004, 02:35 PM
not really rev. no. indicates a change in spec not manufacturer sometimes the specs change and apple dose not even say (the latter rev.a g5's have 8x superdrives) a rev. change is when apple announces a new line with improved specs not just changing drive manufacturer which they do constantly.

Anytime anything changes on the computer it is considered a new rev. The 8X superdrives you refer to were on the last "Rev" of that model G5. It could have been a Rev D that this occurred on.

A new model was introduced with updated processors. In this case it was not considered a new "Rev"

Mord
Jul 28, 2004, 02:38 PM
Anytime anything changes on the computer it is considered a new rev. The 8X superdrives you refer to were on the last "Rev" of that model G5. It could have been a Rev D that this occurred on.

A new model was introduced with updated processors. In this case it was not considered a new "Rev"

your in your own insane world i can tell you for sure that you are wrong.

i think everyone elce on the board will be behind me on this do some reaserch into it.

where were you informed that any tine change changes the rev?

if so the rev letter on the g4 towers must have gone around the alfabet a fair few times the number of different HD's and drives they have used.

jane doe
Jul 28, 2004, 02:44 PM
your in your own insane world i can tell you for sure that you are wrong.

i think everyone elce on the board will be behind me on this do some reaserch into it.

where were you informed that any tine change changes the rev?

if so the rev letter on the g4 towers must have gone around the alfabet a fair few times the number of different HD's and drives they have used.

I'm not going into how I know or what I know. You can choose to listen to the information given. If you choose to disagree thats fine, I'm not going to defend my statement any further. However I am correct.

krimson
Jul 28, 2004, 02:46 PM
I was just curious as to where the information was stored. I bought mine last week from Apple store, but just wanted to make sure it was the latest revision.....which is C right?

What's the product# on the bottom say?

Mord
Jul 28, 2004, 02:50 PM
yes you are the correct one and every one elce in this entire forum is completely silly.

i'm no noob i'm studying for my apple tech exams and have more than 800 posts in this forum, you are new to the forums and have 0 credibility, i suspect you are useing the dictionary definition of the word revision, and unless your an apple technician and you know that apple internaly changes the rev no. for every tiny little change (which i'm certain that they don't) you can take my word that what you have been told is incorrect, look at any mac site (such as www.lowendmac.com) and you will see.