PDA

View Full Version : Stream ANYTHING over Airtunes??

FriarCrazy
Jul 28, 2004, 02:49 PM
I just bought an Airport Express base station, and I was wondering if it is possible to stream ANY audio to it, rather than just music out of iTunes. For example, could you stream audio from a DVD or a video game? I tried to google for information about this, but searches came up dry. Has anyone experimented in this area? Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

robbieduncan
Jul 28, 2004, 02:55 PM
So far the answer is no. The only workaround I can see would be to encode the sound output of the app you want as a stream, have iTunes connect to that stream and send that out to AirTunes.

FriarCrazy
Jul 28, 2004, 03:04 PM
Are there any good apps out there to do that? I've done streaming audio stuff on Windows but never on a Mac.

MattG
Jul 28, 2004, 03:12 PM
I just bought an Airport Express base station, and I was wondering if it is possible to stream ANY audio to it, rather than just music out of iTunes. For example, could you stream audio from a DVD or a video game? I tried to google for information about this, but searches came up dry. Has anyone experimented in this area? Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Not yet, and I was wondering about this myself before I got my APE. But then I thought, how could you stream audio for a DVD or a game? Wouldn't there be problems getting the audio and video to sync up, being that they're each being transmitted via two different mediums (wireless vs. wired)? Technically, it's like you've got two different systems playing your audio and your video--your computer's doing the video, and once it leaves your computer, the APE is taking care of the audio. Not sure how that would work...