Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sstickygreen

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Anyone have advice on making a hacintosh out of a old cube or G4 tower I have both fully working. I want to take out the crapy ppc parts and put some good old intel parts in. For under 200 or 300 bucks it would be a fun project.

sstickygreen

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
:eek: Cube is almost a museum object ! Please choose the PM G4 !

I would think a micro atx board would fit in the cube but the tower has more room for air flow. I think it would just be great to see a fast as hell cube running SL lol

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I would think a micro atx board would fit in the cube but the tower has more room for air flow. I think it would just be great to see a fast as hell cube running SL lol
Maybe a micro ITX the Micro ATX's are way to big for a cube.

With the G4 Tower case Micro ATX board selection is still tricky as the RAM slots can get in the way of the DVD drive. The most slots possible while keeping a DVD drive is two and they must be as close to the CPU (rear ports) as possible. You will still need a new DVD drive since they are much shorter and cut the drive cage down to the length of the new DVD drive for RAM slots and capacitors to fit.

The ports are fairly heavy gauge steel so you will need a Dremel with a good cutting disc. You are also going to need to remove rivets with a drill and need a rivet gun to redo them after the mods are complete. I cut out the entire rear ports and replaced the piece with Acrylic as it is easier to shape the ports blank.

For the front power switch you will need to run some wires as well as cutting the switches circuit board and some soldering.

You will also need to make motherboard standoffs and drill mounting holes. I used small plastic tubing for the spacers.

For close RAM slots I used a Gigabyte GA-EG31M-S2. It is not that great for overclocking though. Luckily for you there are many boards on the market with RAM slots close enough to the Motherboard to keep your DVD drive. At the time I did mine there were only one or two.

Correct
Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Too Far
Untitled-4.jpg

mystic man

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2009
Athens, Greece
Anyone have advice on making a hacintosh out of a old cube or G4 tower I have both fully working. I want to take out the crapy ppc parts and put some good old intel parts in. For under 200 or 300 bucks it would be a fun project.

I would go for ther tower (too sweet), and in fact I am in the process of looking one for my self as we speak, and built a mac mini in the cube, which I m currently (maybe) doing for a friend, using a mini-ITX with onboard atom, nvidia 9400

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.