PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing between these 2 iPhone cases.

greygray
Nov 12, 2009, 05:27 AM
I need a new case for my white 3GS. Which would you prefer? iSkin Solo FX or Switcheasy Capsule Rebel M?

Sweetbike40
Nov 12, 2009, 07:05 AM
Switcheasy Rebel was my first case. Not sure about the new M one. I currently have the Solo FX on and it hasn't come off in 6 months. After a few weeks with the Rebel on, i felt it added too much bulk to the phone and i also didn't like the design of it at all. The Solo FX adds minimal bulk yet great protection and a great grip. Now it comes in black, clear and pink. I think the Rebel and Solo are two very different cases. If you can, buy both if you like the design of the Rebel.

kicko
Nov 12, 2009, 08:16 AM
I never had a rebel but i do have 2 iskins and i do like them.

If your unsure you can try the $5 solo knockoffs on ebay you can get a feel for the case before you make a bigger purchase. The knockoffs are pretty close to the solos.

search the forums

Jmacman78
Nov 12, 2009, 08:20 AM
I hadn't seen this new Switcheasy case. Only issue I had with them was the sagging bottom, I had 1 rebel, and 2 rebel serpents and after a while they all developed a saggy bottom to different extents, especially if you take the case off a lot.

I only found temporary solutions to that problem. I don't know if it has gotten any better or not recently. It seemed out of my 3 rebels one sagged more than the others. Also, near the volume button, it "sagged" outward too, which was really annoying, so that little area on the side of the case was never flush and left chrome a tiny bit exposed, maybe not a big deal but it drove me crazy after a while.

Other than those couple of things I really did like the rebel serpent cases a lot, I liked the design, the protection. I don't know if they ever addressed the sagging issues, ultimately it's why I am not using my rebels anymore.

V4705
Nov 12, 2009, 12:35 PM
the "M" version was re-designed at the bottom, it's too early to say if it's working but it looks really good to me.
but still it's hard to recommend any of the rebels because of their thickness (especially the M version).

zdblue11
Nov 12, 2009, 07:07 PM
solo because it seems like the majority agrees w/ it

greygray
Nov 15, 2009, 04:03 AM
I never had a rebel but i do have 2 iskins and i do like them.

If your unsure you can try the $5 solo knockoffs on ebay you can get a feel for the case before you make a bigger purchase. The knockoffs are pretty close to the solos.

search the forums

I've searched and nobody compared the iSkin Solo FX SE and the Switcheasy Rebel M. Anyway, thanks for your suggestion.

sunrisedigital
Nov 15, 2009, 05:27 AM
There's a review of the solo FX Special Edition on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L48rpWTNBUY

The matte finish looks nice.

yentrog31
Nov 15, 2009, 07:35 AM
I like the Solo better...dont much like the circular pattern..like a post above said you can try the cheap ones first on ebay to see if you like that look...here is my fav case..I wanted the clear solo but you cant find it anywhere....so i got this set-up and the case is amazing...take a look and you can read my review at the bottom...good luck!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D4ZHLE/ref=ox_ya_os_product

adamjay79
Nov 15, 2009, 08:02 AM
I have the switcheasy and love it, but adds some bulk. For something simple and small http://www.seidioonline.com/category-s/category-s/2460.htm

Blueline29
Nov 15, 2009, 10:01 PM

This. You can get several different colors for the price of one Solo or Solo FX (or just buy one for cheap to see if you even like that style of case.) A Switcheasy Rebel was my first-ever case and I liked it OK, I guess, but I VASTLY prefer the Solo FX (or knockoffs ;) ), both in terms of appearance and fit (I always hated the gaps between the spine and the rest of the Rebel). Unfortunately, I've yet to purchase a Solo FX SE...waiting for a bit of a price drop first after the initial novelty wears off.

greygray
Nov 16, 2009, 12:47 AM
Thank you everybody. I've got myself a red iSkin Solo FX! Great case that is not as rubbery as silicon and it's very protective. Thanks again!

Blueline29
Nov 16, 2009, 01:25 PM
Thank you everybody. I've got myself a red iSkin Solo FX! Great case that is not as rubbery as silicon and is damn protective! :) Thanks again!

Glad you like it! I have the red one, also. It's really sharp.

greygray
Nov 17, 2009, 03:31 AM
Glad you like it! I have the red one, also. It's really sharp.

Yup. Feels great to the touch and offers more flexibility than Switcheasy. Quality = Money. :)

tnnsxace
Dec 8, 2009, 05:04 AM
I used the SwitchEasy Capsule Rebel Serpent for a little bit, but eventually switched to the Otterbox Defender. I liked the Otterbox as it made the phone heavier and gave it more protection. I had to take out the screen protector that came on it though as I didn't like it. However when I saw the new Rebel M, I just had to get it. I got it in white and it looks slick! The design has definitely been improved from the original Rebel. A week later I got the black one. The black I got though showed some chrome and I was not happy with it, so I use the white shell with black spine and chrome's hidden again. I just visited SwitchEasy's site and they now have a red Rebel M. I know I shouldn't, but I'm going to order it now! :D

greygray
Jan 4, 2010, 05:25 AM
now have a red Rebel M.

The Rebel M is rather bulky IMO. I wanted the Solo because it showed off the iPhone's design and color. Off topic: [My 3GS is white in color and having a red Solo matches white iPhones very nicely.]