Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lasuther

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2004
Grand Haven, Michigan
My old iMac I sold was a 2GHz Core Duo with 256MB ATi x1600, and I've been playing WoWon a 2GHz 2GB RAM 13" MacBook for over a month. Dalaran was a lag fest and my performance was pretty horrible all around.

My new i5 QuadCore showed up last night. I spent most of the evening loading WoW on. The 2560x1440 is absolutely massive and beautiful. I'm not sure I'll ever get used to the amount of work space it provides. Once WoW was updated, I logged into Dalaran with default video settings. FPS where around 100 depending where I was in Dalaran. I turned up all video settings to maximum and it dropped down to 30-60 depending where I was in Dalaran. Overall, I'm very happy with the performance. I plan on leaving the video settings to maximum. The screen is very bright, colors and popping, and the 2560x1440 resolution is huge. I was transfering my iPhoto collection, running 3 Safari windows, Vent, playing music in iTunes, and running WoW; and the 4 Gigs of RAM was pushing it. I plan on going to 6 Gigs soon to help out. The screen size and quality needs to be seen in person to fully appreciate. Hopefully Starcraft 2 gets released in the next year so I can run that on this beast.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
So did you completely max WoW? Resolution, shadows models etc? Every single thing as high as it could go? If so, then I am really impressed. Didn't think it could run WoW with maxed graphics and the massive resolution. Now I want one :(.

dkd0nuts

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
ive been debating for a few weeks now whether or not i should get the i7 imac. the one thing holding me back is whether or not it will run starcraft 2 and diablo 3 with high settings and good resolution. what other games have you tried on your imac and waht frame rates are you getting?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
ive been debating for a few weeks now whether or not i should get the i7 imac. the one thing holding me back is whether or not it will run starcraft 2 and diablo 3 with high settings and good resolution. what other games have you tried on your imac and waht frame rates are you getting?

If you can afford it I would say the i7 is a very good value upgrade. Although not specific to gaming the overall benchmarks on the 17 show it is quite a jump from the i5.

I know we got an i7 iMac for the office as the extra cost for the custom CPU compared to extra power you get from it made it worth while (not something that is usually the case with BTO).

Edwin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.