PDA

View Full Version : URGENT HELP PLEASE

cmaracz88
Jul 28, 2004, 07:29 PM
Well I was just browsing a flash animation on my iBook when suddenly black lines started appearing on the screen and the mouse froze. So I clicked the power button on the notebook and restarted, I hear the sound of the comp restarting but the screen is black. I try it again, screen is still black. I take the battery out and put it in, still black. After about 100x restarts I notice that it starts loading if I click the open CD drive at exactly the right time when I boot up the comp. But once it's loaded it sometimes freezes up again and same thing happens.

Any idea about what this could be?
Any ideas about what I should do?

Hopefully if it's a unfixable hardware problem that needs to be replaced it's the logic board, because my warranty ran out in May x.x

I thank you for any insight, I'm heading off to Europe in a few days so immediate help is neccessary for me.

BillClinton
Jul 28, 2004, 08:06 PM
Well I was just browsing a flash animation on my iBook when suddenly black lines started appearing on the screen and the mouse froze. So I clicked the power button on the notebook and restarted, I hear the sound of the comp restarting but the screen is black. I try it again, screen is still black. I take the battery out and put it in, still black. After about 100x restarts I notice that it starts loading if I click the open CD drive at exactly the right time when I boot up the comp. But once it's loaded it sometimes freezes up again and same thing happens.

Any idea about what this could be?
Any ideas about what I should do?

Hopefully if it's a unfixable hardware problem that needs to be replaced it's the logic board, because my warranty ran out in May x.x

I thank you for any insight, I'm heading off to Europe in a few days so immediate help is neccessary for me.

Isn't this the infamous G3 iBook logic board problem?

realityisterror
Jul 28, 2004, 08:41 PM
sounds like it is your logic board...
even though you are out of warranty, apple will replace it free if your serial number is a certain range...

this link (http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/) should help you get some general info...

hope you can get it in time for your trip,
reality

magid
Jul 28, 2004, 11:56 PM
As mentioned before, this is def a logic board problem. I had this happen to my iBook 500 twice in the past month, but thankfully mine was under warrenty. Good luck in getting yours fixed before you head out on your trip.

cmaracz88
Jul 29, 2004, 09:43 AM
Thanks everyone. Mine is actually the CD 800 model right before the G4 models. I took it to the store and the tech guy told me that if it's the logic board it's free if it's the cables then it'll cost me a small fortune. I said ok.

I wonder why I would have to pay for cables though. If both cables and logic boards cause the exact same problem and are due to the same design flaws I'd assume they'd both be covered under the pupose of the program x.x

Finiksa
Jul 29, 2004, 10:26 AM
If both cables and logic boards cause the exact same problem and are due to the same design flaws I'd assume they'd both be covered under the pupose of the program
They're caused by different design flaws. The display hinge sometimes cuts through the cable shielding and is considered "wear and tear". The cable problem is far less prevalent than the logic board problem, they just happen to cause similar symptoms.