Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2004
heres the situation...g5 dual 2.0 1.5gigs of pc3200 i have 2 mcally firewire/usb 2.0 hubs hooked up to my g5 with 4 ext. hdd's and 1 ext. 52x cd burner....if i leave my mac on all day when i come back from work 8hrs later my mac is frozen and i have a little screen saying to restart my mac (with the fans blowing at full speed)!!!!! i restart the computer and its fine any clues to whats going? please help!!!!! thanx in advance! :confused:

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i had this problem...

it was fixed by a reformat...

i was still a little scared taht it was more of a hardware issue, but it hasn't returned and it's been months.

that's the best i know

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
That's called a kernel panic. Could be your RAM. Especially if it's 3rd party RAM. Star pulling the sticks one set at a time and see if you can reproduce your kernel panics.

derboy

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2004
UK
good luck with that

my g5 has had tempromental freezes from the start. september!!

its impossible to replicate the freeze and so diagnossis cannot be proven by me, to get a repair.

to cut a very long story short. the g5 is now getting its logic board replaced, with the condition that the service centre does not see the machine ever again. this is its second visit for the same problem. has been the result of many letters, calls...blah..blah

i'm based in the uk, and here apple prefer to screw its repair customers hard, and from a distance. hiding behind third parties. you may be lucky in the usa.

hope that message didnt sound too bitter. and the best of luck to you, hopefully a its simple fix!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Freezing? I thought the G5 was all about heat problems? Imagine how cold the liquid cooled model will be.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
I have had a similare issue with my Dual 1.8 rev b G5. Twice i have not been able to boot the thing up. I get the little light flashing 3 times on the front. Supposedly 3 flashed means incompatible ram. HOWEVER, the ram in it is factory installed and 2 Apple sticks. I took it back to the apple store and they reset the PMU as well as removed and reinstalled the ram. Everything worked fine for them (of course). I just had it happen again this week. I reset both the pram and the pmu and things seem to be fine.
When this occurs, I dont even get the start up tone or a screen on my display.

Any thoughts?

newt2mac

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2004
similar problem

I had something similar in my rev a G5 1.8 DP back in May. Got it and I would get a kernel panic every 2 hours, sometimes more. Apple support had my reinstall panther, do a hardware check, nothing found. I wasn't going to settle, I bought a new Mac, not a refurb, so I sent it back and they considered it DOA. I have been happy with the new one. Not one KP, but the hard drive is a bit loud, but I can live with that..

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
have u heard about any of these issues on the 1.6 ghz g5. I am thinking about grabbing one of those refurbs off apple.com (assuming they stay on there til tonight when my dad gets home and can order it :) )

I suppose if they run out ill have to settle with one of the refurb 1.2 ghz ibooks ;)

derboy

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2004
UK
All my problems were on a g5 1.6, early in the run cycle. i would steer clear of all rev a's

-but thats just because i want my g5 to enter the refurb store! finally give me some money back or a replacement! ha

joser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2004
g5 freeze issue..

part2: as for memory heres what i have...all sticks of 256 pc3200.
heres list: dimm0 pc3200u-30330
dimm1 pc3200u-30330
dimm2 pc3200u-25330
dimm3 pc3200u-25330
dimm4 pc3200u-30330
dimm5 pc3200u-30330
would the 25330 make my computer lockup from being on so long?
just did a reformat on hdd (rezeroed hdd) did a fresh install of panther will leave computer on all day and see what happens when i get home tonite and will post !!! thanx in advance for all ur help!! :(

electric

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Bought a Dual 1.8 Rev B, worked for 17 days. Started freezing, no mouse movement, no response. Restarted computer, sometimes display would come on sometimes not. Took all 3rd party ram out and performed a hardware test from Booted CD, froze again. Took G5 to Apple Store, "Genius" ran test, computer froze.

Employees refused to give replacement, sent in for repair, Lost out on contract work that was the justification for buying the thing. I haven't even received Credit Card statement for initial purchase.

I had actually expected the computer to fail because of the numerous Family members and friends that have ALL had to send their iBooks, Powerbooks, eMacs in for repair after having them for less than a month.

Why did I still buy? ............ I really don't know, it was a huge mistake on my part.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
It might have been mentioned in the links above (didn't see it, but didn't read them completely), but my G5 had the exact same problem. In my case, though, it turned out to be my 20" ACD. When I disabled the ability to use the display's power and brightness buttons (System Preferences..., then option-shift-click on Displays, go to Options, disable buttons), it all worked again. Yes, I have AppleCare, and yes, they sent me a box to return the monitor in, but i've opted to deal with this for now (never used the buttons anyway) as opposed to being without a monitor for weeks.

If you have an ACD, this might be of help to you.

BTW, while verifying this, I noticed that - new to 10.3.5 - you can disable the power and display properties buttons independently. As of 10.3.4 and earlier, they were combined.

Attachments

• DisplayOptionsPic.jpg
    DisplayOptionsPic.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 188

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
Buttons?

I have a 20" ACD. Single Processor 1.8.
Installed 10.3.5. Doesn't exactly sleep anymore, but the display is off.

I never knew that those are actually buttons on the display !
There are kinda cool. Any more "hidden" buttons?

joser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2004
UPDATE TO FREEZING ISSUE OR HANGING!!

WELL HERES THE UPDATE!! removed the 3rd party memory and nomore issues for me....seemed that memory ending in 25530 wasnt compatible w/ samsung memory being 30330 or sumthin. have 2nd g5 dual 2.0 removed fact. memory and installed 3 party memory by itself will test to see if i get any kernel panics from memory by its self will keep u informed...thanx everyone!!!!! :rolleyes:

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
joser said:
WELL HERES THE UPDATE!! removed the 3rd party memory and nomore issues for me....seemed that memory ending in 25530 wasnt compatible w/ samsung memory being 30330 or sumthin. have 2nd g5 dual 2.0 removed fact. memory and installed 3 party memory by itself will test to see if i get any kernel panics from memory by its self will keep u informed...thanx everyone!!!!! :rolleyes:

Glad to hear its all working out for you.. anyday you don't have to send a computer into the shop is a GOOD day... :)

electric

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
San Francisco, CA
It's been 8 days since I picked up my 1.8 dual from an Apple store and the machine is working flawlessly. I forgot to mention that Apple replaced one of the processors.
Hope the computer keeps on keepin on.

electric

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Well the G5 stopped keeping on

I have the same issue, I had a good run though. I just hope Apple diagnoses the problem and not symptom. thank Jebus I got Apple Care ...... Cant afford it? Cant afford not to get it.

electric

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
San Francisco, CA
A New one

I finally have some resolve. For 13 days I had the G5 in repair at the Apple Store, they replaced the Logic Board and second processor, That failed. They replaced the 1st processor again and still had problems. They decided to replace the whole computer, now I am starting from scratch. It feels good to have it dealt with properly.

T

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
electric said:
Employees refused to give replacement, sent in for repair, Lost out on contract work that was the justification for buying the thing. I haven't even received Credit Card statement for initial purchase.

It's hard for me to believe that you accepted that here in California, where the consumer is king :D

We are fortunate enough to have one of the best, if not the best, consumer protection in the nation.

What I would have done in your position, especially in light of the fact that the charge hadn't even shown up on your CC yet, is very politely but very firmly said that if they didn't replace it with a new one, consider the sale cancelled.

Something along the lines of "I always believed that Apple was such a professional company, surely Steve wouldn't expect you to pay out good money for a non-working machine etc".

Most corporations, and employees too for that matter, absolutely detest it when you imply that they and their service is unprofessional.

Anyhow, I'm pleased to see that you finally did get a new machine. Hopefully this one is trouble free.

FWIW my daughter has had her 12" iBook over a year now, and except for the occasional MS Word freeze - discussed elsewhere on MR. And yes, it's MS's fault - it has performed absolutely flawlessly. She couldn't be happier, especially as I just bought her a flash iPod for her birthday :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.