Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emc2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2004
Either Seattle or Kona...
I was recently appproached by a client that has an older G4 500 AGP. It came with a DVD-RAM drive installed. She would like to install a superdrive and has seen used ones, pulled from older macs on auction sites such as ebay. Is there any reason why I cannot replace her factory installed DVD-RAM drive with an older model (or current) superdrive? I believe that when this machine was released the superdrive was not an option yet, so is there a firmware update that will need to be installed? The G4 is currently running OS X.2.8.
As a follow up question; what kind of DVD-RAM media works in this drive? I have tried (without any luck) Type 2 double sided 4.7GB, and single sided without cartridge. know that it is an older technology, but shouldn't there still be mmedia available for this Apple OEM drive circa 1999-2000?
Thanks for any help you have.

emc2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2004
Either Seattle or Kona...
Thanks for the great tip, she was looking at a DVR-A04 off ebay for around $60...these are 8x burnners and SW and media for about $50 more! Not to mention that you get to buy from a company like OWC.......Thanks again....
Is there anyonre who can help with the second part of my question????
DVD-RAM...apple sold it and supported it....but noone seems to know anything about it. Only a few pages on Apple Tech Support and they didn't solve my problem...I could really use some help on this....I am in Hawaii and there are few to none Apple Techs on the island!
-Eric

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
I suggest you purchase a Pioneer 107 drive. Ebay has them for under $90.00 delivered. I bought two in the past month.

There are a number of companies that sell them., As long as you get the Pioneer 107D it will work fine with a Mac.

Don't settle for less than 8X and pay more than $100.00 for it!

emc2 said:
Thanks for the great tip, she was looking at a DVR-A04 off ebay for around $60...these are 8x burnners and SW and media for about $50 more! Not to mention that you get to buy from a company like OWC.......Thanks again....
Is there anyonre who can help with the second part of my question????
DVD-RAM...apple sold it and supported it....but noone seems to know anything about it. Only a few pages on Apple Tech Support and they didn't solve my problem...I could really use some help on this....I am in Hawaii and there are few to none Apple Techs on the island!
-Eric

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.