Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jialuolu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
Canada
A few days ago, I noticed that my MBA's keyboard and trackpad would suddenly become unresponsive but the button on the trackpad would still work because if the cursor was hovering over a link when it froze,I could still click it. So I would force it to shut down and sometimes after I booted it up, it would still be unresponsive

The interesting part is, it never becomes unresponsive when the laptop is on a level surface like a desk. As soon as I pick it up, the keyboard and trackpad will become unresponsive and sometimes, once I put it back down, it will come back to life and sometimes it won't and I'll have to reboot it. And if it isn't on a level surface while I reboot it, it will be unresponsive as well

Also, don't know if it would be related but I recently had the screen replaced due to a hinge defect but it was only after the repair that this problem started. It's out of warranty and I don't live near an Apple store so it would be really inconvenient for me to bring it in... Do you guys think an archive+reinstall would do the trick?

jialuolu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
Canada
No luck and it's gotten worse now. It took like 5 minutes to get to the login screen (even though I had it set so I wouldn't need to log in on startup) and it refused to let me log in and now it just gets stuck at a blue screen when I restart ugh

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
No luck and it's gotten worse now. It took like 5 minutes to get to the login screen (even though I had it set so I wouldn't need to log in on startup) and it refused to let me log in and now it just gets stuck at a blue screen when I restart ugh

Hmm. Sounds like it could be failing hardware. Can you boot from DVD? Might be worth running hardware diagnostics on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.