Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solchitlins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Michigan
just bought this monitor :
http://www.staples.com/AOC-2236Vw-2...product_795826?cmArea=SC3:CG4:DP2000:CL142219

for $115

and before it arrived my PC totally broke.

I wanted my next computer to be a mac but can't afford anything expensive right now.

I'm a broke college student.
I see ads like this on craigs list near me.
"
New in box, It's a 1.83GHz Intel core 2 duo and includes everything when new. 1Gb ram, 80Gb HD, combo drive and GMA 950 video.
Cash with no trades. MB138LL/A
$450"

is that a good deal/computer or is it outdated and I can do better?

Should I return the monitor and buy something else instead?

I thought I could squeeze another year out of my pc but it's broken. I hate to invest any more cash into a pc but like I said I'm on a budget.
help please
thanks

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
$450 is a lot for a Mini that old. Try to come up with $550 and get a new Mini with your education discount:

- 2.26 C2D
- 2 GB memory
- 160 GB HD
- 9400M graphics
- SL

That right there is worth the extra $100 difference. These Mini are reasonable new with the education discount. Don't buy a used one for $450.

solchitlins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Michigan
$450 is a lot for a Mini that old. Try to come up with $550 and get a new Mini with your education discount:

- 2.26 C2D
- 2 GB memory
- 160 GB HD
- 9400M graphics
- SL

That right there is worth the extra $100 difference. These Mini are reasonable new with the education discount. Don't buy a used one for $450.

sorry I'm a little clueless
where do I buy the above? From the main apple store? Is there better deals from elsewhere?

and is the monitor I bought a alright match for that system? If so do I need an expensive apple adapter for it?
http://us.aoc.com/lcd_monitors/2236vw
thanks

dextermorgan

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2008
Go to store.apple.com and look at the bottom (small print), click on Education Store, put in the location and name of your university and you can get the student discount. The new mini with ed discount would be much better than the used one you posted.

hndn

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2009
Or get this one, last generation for $429. Link
Thanks...this's all I need: basic web surfing.

Edit: I don't know which to buy: with student discount, I'll get the new generation $549 with free printer (but I already have one) :)

All gone by the time I made my decision hahaha Next time then.

SydneyDev

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
You won't be able to play any 3d games with the GMA950 video. Otherwise it will be fine for iLife apps.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Yeah, I don't recommend ever investing into another PC.
I switched from PCs a year ago, been pretty much more than happy with my computer. Every single PC I ever owned ended up eventually having some problems, so I said screw it, and went with a Mac. Recommend you do the same :)

Okay, so now about the budget issue.
a Mac mini actually isn't a bad computer, however, $450 is a little too much for buying something like that, especially from craigslist.

People usually use Mac Minis for movies and music, so you shouldn't except too much from it, but you can probably find a good deal on one.

But if I were you.. I would take back the monitor and get my money back and use that money to get a low end iMac or maybe a MacBook.

solchitlins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Michigan
Yeah, I don't recommend ever investing into another PC.
I switched from PCs a year ago, been pretty much more than happy with my computer. Every single PC I ever owned ended up eventually having some problems, so I said screw it, and went with a Mac. Recommend you do the same :)

Okay, so now about the budget issue.
a Mac mini actually isn't a bad computer, however, $450 is a little too much for buying something like that, especially from craigslist.

People usually use Mac Minis for movies and music, so you shouldn't except too much from it, but you can probably find a good deal on one.

But if I were you.. I would take back the monitor and get my money back and use that money to get a low end iMac or maybe a MacBook.

what imac would you guys suggest over the basic mac mini?
If I got a smaller one a couple years old would it be as good?

any known deals out there?

Undo Redo

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
Colorado, USA
But a new iMac would...
A new iMac might be a bit faster but it's going to cost a lot more than options being discussed here. The OP is a broke college student.

I prefer systems with separate components, so I think a Mac mini and a nice monitor are always going to be preferable to an iMac, even if the performance isn't quite equal.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
If you're savvy about building computers you could probably build the equivalent of a MacMini and follow some recommendations on parts on InsanelyMac and build a Hackntosh. You can buy a retail Snow Leopard disk even and install it natively so it'd run just like a real Mac. :D

I'm going to build my own "Mac Pro" soon using this method.

If you really want the Mac, definitely go with the student discount and either buy a last gen or a new Mac Mini.

If you can scrounge up the money I'd say the new iMacs are a very nice choice. I just bought the second tier 21.5" iMac with the dedicated video card myself! It looks and runs awesome (with the exception of flash videos... Come on Apple, let's have a patch!).

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
That mini last gen will be fine for basic web browsing, iLife, writing documents etc...

i try to get the most I can out of my Macs, I'm on an iMac G3 at the moment. Its fine for the web, so why throw it out =) though I do need a new computer, so I'm getting a MBP at the end of the year...

solchitlins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Michigan
anyone know if Mac mall does the education discount for college students like the apple store does?

I'm also confused about the $100 off printer offer at the Mac store. I add a $99 printer to my shopping cart and I don't see it coming off my bill. Are those after discount prices or something?

I'm looking at getting the latest basic mac mini new or refurb and trying to get as many freebies/discounts as possible with out going above the original price.

at2wells

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2009
Zed Zed 9 Plural Zed Alpha
anyone know if Mac mall does the education discount for college students like the apple store does?

I'm also confused about the $100 off printer offer at the Mac store. I add a $99 printer to my shopping cart and I don't see it coming off my bill. Are those after discount prices or something?

I'm looking at getting the latest basic mac mini new or refurb and trying to get as many freebies/discounts as possible with out going above the original price.

The free 99 dollar printer isnt an instant rebate. But as soon as you complete your transaction, you can go to apple.com/rebate and enter in your receipt # (its the 11 letter/number combo below the bar code) and the total amount of the purchase on the receipt, and apple will send you a check for the price of the printer. Im not sure why they do it like this, it would seem a lot less of a hassle to give an instant rebate and for them to deal with HP instead of them dealing with us and HP. BUT, then again, like this there is a chance some people wont claim the rebate and thats a free 100 dollars apple gets to collect. So thats probably why.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.