Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
My G5 has a superdrive
But i want it to burn dual layer dvd's
there are dual layer burners on the market
can i simple swap one in?

or is there a particular one? that i need

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Lacie recently came out with a dual-layer burner that includes Toast 6 for ~US$240. It's external, and you can just chain it with your other firewire devices. Easier than exchanging drives, gives you an extra optical drive, and not a bad price given that Toast is included.

Edit: It's available at http://store.apple.com, and it's US$239. Just go to the store and search for Lacie DVD. I'd post a link, but the WebObjects stuff makes that difficult to do...

Note also that it is a dual-layer burner, although the Apple Store fails to mention that.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
if it's really bugging you, you could dismantle it and just install the drive internally...i suspect they designed it as external because 1. wider range of users (portable and desktop) 2. adds another optical drive instead of replacing, now you can burn straight from disk 3.heat/space concerns? just trying to make 3 reasons ;).

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
Dr. Dastardly said:
If they had them then why wouldn't they have some sort of built to order option. I know that these are external, but is it that hard to put an internal in there?

My guess is that Apple puts only Pioneer Super Drive in the Powermac. For now Pioneer doesn't have a dual layer drive yet. It announced the DVR-A08XL for August though which should be available for Powermac thereafter.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
just throw one in and there is a patch for unsupported drives to be supported just like regular superdrive from apple so you can use it with itunes idvd ect.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
the lacie drive is either over priced or top of the line.

i bought a NEC dual layer DVD burner (2510A) today for $135 Canadian, roughly $100 USD. BUT, it is internal, although, you can buy enclosures super cheap.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
adamfilip said:
But i want it to burn dual layer dvd's

Is the media even available for those yet? It doesn't do you much good to have a dual layer burner if you don't have any dual layer media--or if a single dual layer disk costs as much as a spindle of DVD-R media.

I'd say you should pick something else to worry about for about a year.

krimson

macrumors 65816
they're out, but they aren't in wide release yet.. best price i've found is $8.36/pc (100 spindle)

I would wait til all the spec are finalized. it really makes no sense unless you want to pirate movies with full quality. (and they dont work in my stand-alone dvd players)

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Mr. G4 said:
My guess is that Apple puts only Pioneer Super Drive in the Powermac. For now Pioneer doesn't have a dual layer drive yet. It announced the DVR-A08XL for August though which should be available for Powermac thereafter.
It says on the spec sheet that this drive will support DVD+RW - something Apple hasn't done. Will this drive really go in the G5s, or will Apple be stupid and have them produce a DVD-RW (only) option??

Crikey

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2004
Spencer's Butte, Oregon
carletonmusic said:
It says on the spec sheet that this drive will support DVD+RW - something Apple hasn't done. Will this drive really go in the G5s, or will Apple be stupid and have them produce a DVD-RW (only) option??

I read somewhere that the existing 8X SuperDrives support DVD+/-RW, but that Apple's software/drivers only enable the DVD-RW functionality. I'm no expert, just repeating received superstition.

Cheers,

Crikey

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
carletonmusic said:

I don't know about the G5 but the super drive in the Powerbook burn the two formats fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.