PDA

View Full Version : iPod laser engraving after purchase?

jackieonasses
Jul 29, 2004, 12:39 AM
Okay i am buying a pink iPod mini for my girlfriends 19th birthday, and her birthday was in 2 weeks so i bought one off of ebay. my question is..

Can you get your iPod laser engraved by a 3rd party company? or is that advisable? i searched around but could not answer my question.

thanks in advance!

stevehaslip
Jul 29, 2004, 02:03 AM
don't think so, i spose you might be able to find a company that will do it but apple won't.

Counterfit
Jul 29, 2004, 02:04 AM
Take it to a jeweler or a local engravery place.

Yes, that's right, "engravery" :D

Kingsnapped
Jul 29, 2004, 02:05 AM
There's gotta be somebody who can engrave it, I know a place in my local mall does it. Just check the yellow pages, or Sherlock if you're feeling adventurous.

plasticparadox
Jul 29, 2004, 06:26 AM
Careful... depending on the tools they use, they could royally mess up your iPod's hard disk. Especially if they use grinding tools that vibrate the insides too much. That's why Apple uses laser engraving.

jackieonasses
Jul 29, 2004, 09:22 AM
Careful... depending on the tools they use, they could royally mess up your iPod's hard disk. Especially if they use grinding tools that vibrate the insides too much. That's why Apple uses laser engraving.
ya i knew Apple could'nt do it. and i really dont want to mess with a regular engraving so thanks to this amazing community on a hard question to ask!

as a final soultion maybe i should just draw on it with a sharpie!!! :p

superbovine
Jul 29, 2004, 11:46 PM

that why you turn in off, it used be when you were transporting your computer you used to have to lock your hard drives. they have fixed that problem.

Elan0204
Jul 30, 2004, 12:40 AM
People definitely do it because Apple support specifically mentions it in one of their support documents. They don't discuss how to have it done, but they say that if you send a custom iPod in for repair\replacement there is no guarantee that the iPod you get back will be engraved. Something to consider before spending a large sum on the engraving.