PDA

View Full Version : DVD movie sound through Airport Express?

studmed
Jul 29, 2004, 04:28 AM
Ok this is what i want to do....

I would like to use my powerbook to show movies on a projector and stream the audio 5.1 signal to my surround sound receiver....

Can airport express stream the audio to my surround sound receiver?

Thanks for your help.

Kenneth Smith, Norway

Diatribe
Jul 29, 2004, 04:43 AM
Theoretically it could. But since as of today you can only stream through iTunes you won't be able to do so. You'd have to wait for someone to make AE compatible with a dvd player which could take some time.

wrldwzrd89
Jul 29, 2004, 04:45 AM
Ok this is what i want to do....

I would like to use my powerbook to show movies on a projector and stream the audio 5.1 signal to my surround sound receiver....

Can airport express stream the audio to my surround sound receiver?

Thanks for your help.

Kenneth Smith, Norway
Not unless one of two things happen:
1. You can get the audio delivered to iTunes in real-time, which I don't think is possible.
2. Apple updates other applications to use AirTunes, which I also doubt will happen.

Finiksa
Jul 29, 2004, 04:58 AM
I doubt Apple would implement this. You'd have video going via cable and audio via wireless, it'll would be almost impossible to keep them in sync so would be effectively useless.

studmed
Jul 31, 2004, 04:51 AM
Ok thanks for the info.

iNetwork
Jul 31, 2004, 05:44 AM
I doubt Apple would implement this. You'd have video going via cable and audio via wireless, it'll would be almost impossible to keep them in sync so would be effectively useless.

The delay would not be that great. We're talking 10 ms round trip ping times to my Airport Express. I would use this feature if it were available...and I can think of many instances where this will reduce the amount of wiring needed for some AV setups. Think Different... There are also ways to compensate even for 10ms of delay using software....I've done it... If you've read any of Apple's documentation you would realize that Apple states, "this is not supported at this time" That's the problem with apple users, they never read documentation and expect everything to be hand fed to them. You're making the CEO a very rich man for this. One piece of advice: RTFM :D