PDA

View Full Version : Slow playback on iPod

heyadol
Jul 29, 2004, 04:44 AM
i've noticed that when i go running, the songs on my ipod eventually playback at a slower tempo which reminded me of my first walkman when the batteries were low. especially since i was listening to duran duran. nostalgia aside, i'm assuming it is caused by one of two things:

1. ipod is attempting to get more out of it's buffer memory so slowing down the songs makes it play longer before it skips (usually about 25-30 minutes before skipping)

2. the run is hightening my senses to near jedi levels and time is actually slowing down for me

i'm pretty sure i know which one it really is (and if you disagree, i will choke you from here! :rolleyes: ) but i was just wondering if this is common or if i should call apple.

rdowns
Jul 29, 2004, 05:01 AM
Is your iPod a 4th gen? Doesn't it have a speed control. Have you possibly changed the settings?

Horrortaxi
Jul 29, 2004, 10:52 AM
I vote for #2.

fartheststar
Jul 29, 2004, 11:12 AM
I vote for #2.

LOL. It's a digital player, not analogue. I don't think digital songs "slow down" when the batteries are getting low.. the technology is different. When mine gets low on batteries it cuts out.

Weird!

FriarCrazy
Jul 29, 2004, 11:36 AM
It is possible that it is actually slowing down... The 4G allows you to slow down audiobooks. This feature is not available for normal songs, HOWEVER, there have been some recent whispers about hidden features in the 4G iPod, maybe you have stumbled, err... jogged upon one?

mainstreetmark
Jul 29, 2004, 12:34 PM
Are you jogging at near-light speeds?

If so, you could be experiencing a common Einsteinian effect known as Time Dilation. I'd ask you to jog at the speed of light to see if it stops completely, but that would require all the energy in the known universe which would end up wearing down *my* ipod batteries, so I don't want you to do that.

heyadol
Jul 29, 2004, 02:20 PM
Is your iPod a 4th gen? Doesn't it have a speed control. Have you possibly changed the settings?

it's 3rd gen, i am considering upgrading though. my friend has a mini and i dig the click wheel. plus that extra battery life is nice.

LSlugger
Aug 2, 2004, 10:05 PM
I found this thread on Google, because I noticed the same thing this evening. At the end of my work out, the iPod (3G, 20 GB) sounded like a dying Walkman. When I got home, it seemed okay. I even compared the elapsed time to a wall clock.

For what it's worth, I had the EQ set to "treble booster," and I was skipping songs.