PDA

View Full Version : Dual 2.5GHz PowerMac Shipments

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jul 29, 2004, 05:58 AM
Despite scattered reports of Dual 2.5GHz PowerMac shipments (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/07/20040713192655.shtml) in mid July, Appleinsider claims (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=571) that mass shipments of the latest PowerMac are due to begin this Friday (July 30th).

The initial shipment, however, is expected to be "quite limited" according to the rumor site... however, on a positive note, Apple is expected to also ship at least a limited number of the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL graphics cards alongside the new machines as well.

GroundLoop
Jul 29, 2004, 06:10 AM
YAY! Hopefully mine will be in one of the first shipments.

jason3142
Jul 29, 2004, 06:28 AM
If the 2.5Ghz machines are soon to be delivered, including some new graphics cards, can we take it that the 30" monitors are not far behind?

I have an order with apple for 2 x 30", 2 x Graphics card and 1 x 2.5 G5 and they wont get shipped until all is ready :o(

.a
Jul 29, 2004, 06:40 AM
waitingtime in switzerland ...
two days ago i ordered a dual g5 2.5 with 6800 nvidia, two airport express and a 17" powerbook ... i think i'll get this stuff in september, won't i?
.a

iProbot
Jul 29, 2004, 06:41 AM
My personal dreams come true now!!!

:)

SwitchingSoon
Jul 29, 2004, 06:59 AM
weeeee......i posted about the credit card company makeing an authoriziation/pending charge to my account for an apple computer yesterday!

Fall
Jul 29, 2004, 07:22 AM
SEND THEM TO AUSTRALIA!!

jason3142
Jul 29, 2004, 07:31 AM
weeeee......i posted about the credit card company makeing an authoriziation/pending charge to my account for an apple computer yesterday!

Yea they have taken the money from our card, but that includes the cost of the monitors (30") so perhaps they are on the way.

I had an email to say that my express is on its way, even though the estimated shipping date was not until the middle of august, its good to see Apple are being pessimistic with there delivery dates. Or am I being too optimistic?

~Shard~
Jul 29, 2004, 07:35 AM
Although I didn't order one myself, this is great news! I feel happy for all of you who have been patiently (and many impatiently :p) waiting for these beasts to ship. :cool:

g4cubed
Jul 29, 2004, 07:36 AM
If the...

I have an order with apple for 2 x 30", 2 x Graphics card and 1 x 2.5 G5 and they wont get shipped until all is ready :o(
Why 2 graphics cards? :confused: 1 card will run both of the 30" displays. Hope you didn't throw $600 out a window for an extra card you didn't need. But I was just wondering.

madamimadam
Jul 29, 2004, 07:36 AM
Is anything at all shipping atm?

Saying that, my AP Express is pretty cool but I was lucky to get that

milointeractive
Jul 29, 2004, 07:45 AM
We ordered 18 of the new 1.8 DP models on July 2, 2004. The ship date has been pushed back four times now. I am told that the 30th (tomorrow) is our ship date too. Our rep told me that IBM can't make the G5 Chip fast enough to keep up with demand. We'll see what happens!

- Patrick

NainoKami
Jul 29, 2004, 07:58 AM
God I hope they ship soon in the UK... Ordered mine 06-JUL-2004... 2.5GHz, 2GB DDR, GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL, Bluetooth, Airport Extreme, and to top it off a 23" Cinema display! :) CAN'T WAIT! This machine is going to be a wonder-machine for my music... Now all I need is a world class studio to go with it... :D

Have anyone here on the forums from the UK received anything?

Cheers Nai

DWKlink
Jul 29, 2004, 07:59 AM
If the 2.5Ghz machines are soon to be delivered, including some new graphics cards, can we take it that the 30" monitors are not far behind?

The G5 only supports one AGP card - so if you got 2 6800s then only one will work. I don't even think the order page will let you get more than one, so I'm hoping this is just a mistake.

maharajah
Jul 29, 2004, 08:13 AM
mass shipments of the latest PowerMac are due to begin this Friday (July 30th).

The initial shipment, however, is expected to be "quite limited" .

So...the mass shipments are expected to be quite limited :rolleyes:

mingisback
Jul 29, 2004, 08:19 AM

as others have pointed out. only one card is needed to power both monitors.

i believe his order is nuthin more than a pile of BS.

Applespider
Jul 29, 2004, 08:31 AM
Or he's already got an older G5 and wants to upgrade to the 30" monitor?

DaveClarkOne
Jul 29, 2004, 08:40 AM
Yeah, this missed the editor's review. It would have been more accurate to say "limited supply to ship massively this Friday.."

Does it give anyone pause that the delays are caused by IBM issues with the chip? Makes one wonder about reliability issues with those early machines...

So...the mass shipments are expected to be quite limited :rolleyes:

BWhaler
Jul 29, 2004, 08:47 AM
Screw the shipping date. Seriously.

And yes, I've been waiting for my order too.

But I would GLADLY wait another month if Apple needs it to get the quality right.

When I see the issues in previous PowerMacs with the wind tunnels, loud fans, and the D1.8 issues--still impacting people today--with noisy machines, machines that won't wake, kernal panic city, etc., I will gladly wait for Apple to get it right.

I just spent 6 grand. 6 grand.

On a computer.

And at that price, this machine has to last me for many years. I want it to be perfect, so I don't mind a delay or two.

jason3142
Jul 29, 2004, 08:50 AM
as others have pointed out. only one card is needed to power both monitors.

i believe his order is nuthin more than a pile of BS.

As pointed out by others I have an 'old' 2Ghz G5 for the second monitor/graphics card :p

a_kim
Jul 29, 2004, 09:04 AM
So does this mean we'll see 10.3.5 in Software Update today or tomorrow (since the new Macs supposedly run 10.3.5)? Or will the G5s simply have a different build of 10.3.5 installed on them?

brykken
Jul 29, 2004, 09:13 AM
So does this mean we'll see 10.3.5 in Software Update today or tomorrow (since the new Macs supposedly run 10.3.5)? Or will the G5s simply have a different build of 10.3.5 installed on them?

I don't know that it means either. I may still have 10.3.4.

Jagooah
Jul 29, 2004, 09:32 AM
I ordered my puny 2.0GHz Power Mac on July 5, and I am still without a computer... So my heart does not feel too sad for all you cutting edge people who have stretched all the way to the 2.5GHz. Anyway, the delay over here in Europe is apparently due to the fact that Apple does not have enough Bluetooth modules for the Power Macs. This is a big bummer because my Apple center is now closed until August 18 (most of France shuts down in August... A very odd place...) which means that I am macless for three more weeks... Serves me right for wanting a non-standard configuration I suppose. :(

Kosh66
Jul 29, 2004, 10:25 AM

It could be awhile before you see 10.3.5 in Software Update even if it comes on the new dual 2.5 G5's. There's been times when a new version of MacOS has shipped on new Macs and not been seen by Mac Users in Software Update for weeks after. Sometimes they don't even release the update (the update is specifically for the new Mac sometimes).

donaldfleming
Jul 29, 2004, 10:51 AM
Did you know that a 2.5Ghz cost 2199 Pounds Sterling, thats 3986.79 U.S Dollars, Americans get it for 2999 U.S. It doesn't take a genius to figure thats a 987.78 US dollar (544.83 quid) saving in America. If apple sends them all to europe they'll be quids in.
May mine be the first machine off the production line that works correctly.

whookam
Jul 29, 2004, 10:57 AM
I wonder exactly how many macs will be shipped tomorrow, and where they'll end up.

I mean are we talking 10's, 100's or 1000's? Will they distributed equally around the globe?

Personally I hope that everyone who ordered on the first day, be it from apple or a reseller, gets one of these first few g5's.

I suppose if even one gets shipped then Apple have kept their promise. Just don't know how much longer I can wait!

Wigletbill
Jul 29, 2004, 11:00 AM
I added bluetooth two days ago and it pushed me back fom 8/31 to 9/9. When I called to complain she told me that they had to cancel and reorder the machine because it was already built and waiting to be shipped. I told her there was no way because the new Nvidia card was not even going to be available until next month. She was like, "Hmmm... well it says here it was going out to you in three days. It must be a glitch." Now I know it was not a glitch... Dang.

Duff-Man
Jul 29, 2004, 11:01 AM
Did you know that a 2.5Ghz cost 2199 Pounds Sterling, thats 3986.79 U.S Dollars, Americans get it for 2999 U.S. It doesn't take a genius to figure thats a 987.78 US dollar (544.83 quid) saving in America. If apple sends them all to europe they'll be quids in.
May mine be the first machine off the production line that works correctly.Duff-Man says...you are comparing an after tax price with a before tax price - sure, there *is* some difference in the price but it is not as big as you are making it sound. Don't blame Apple for your high VAT rate....oh yeah!

Lancetx
Jul 29, 2004, 11:09 AM
Duff-Man says...you are comparing an after tax price with a before tax price - sure, there *is* some difference in the price but it is not as big as you are making it sound. Don't blame Apple for your high VAT rate....oh yeah!

Exactly. With 8.25% sales tax added in Texas, you can tack on another $247.42 to that $2,999 price, so Americans don't get them direct from Apple for $2,999 either. :(

Jagooah
Jul 29, 2004, 11:40 AM
Exactly. With 8.25% sales tax added in Texas, you can tack on another $247.42 to that $2,999 price, so Americans don't get them direct from Apple for $2,999 either. :(

Well, the French Apple Store sells the 2.5GHz for 2.792 euros before tax, which translates into 3.364 dollars at the current exchange rate. So, that's still a difference of 365 bucks...

kgforce
Jul 29, 2004, 12:03 PM

FYI: If you are in Texas and are using your Mac "in the manufacturing of products for resale" (any graphic design such as logo designs, brochures, direct mail, etc. will do) you are not required to pay sales tax.

Just download a "Texas Sales and Use Tax Exemption Certification" from the State Comptrollers office, fill it out (using the above wording as your reason for exemption) and fax it to The Apple Store. They will remove the state sales tax from your order.

The Apple Store still shows my 2.5GHz shipping on or before 7/30. But I'm not holding my breath. I'm hoping they will send all these out overnight or 2nd day Fedex. I can dream, can't I?

JW Pepper
Jul 29, 2004, 12:20 PM
Mine still says 30/7 or earlier too. I find it hard to believe that Apple have stacks of machines held in some loading bay just waiting for the 30/7 to send them all out together, whatever are they thinking? Why don't they just ship them as they come off the line, it makes no sense to me at all.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

DWKlink
Jul 29, 2004, 12:31 PM
Mine still says 30/7 or earlier too. I find it hard to believe that Apple have stacks of machines held in some loading bay just waiting for the 30/7 to send them all out together, whatever are they thinking? Why don't they just ship them as they come off the line, it makes no sense to me at all.

I think that this is normal for any product that is launched. Say Sony was launching a new TV. They wouldn't send them out 50 at a time. They would wait until they had say 5000 and then ship them. I think it would upset customers more to see them trickle out. At least with this first shipment, maybe they can get computers out to all the early orderers. But that's just me guessing. I have no idea how long it takes to put one together - or how many chips they may have to deal with from IBM.

GeckoHD
Jul 29, 2004, 12:35 PM
Waiting for my order of 2.5ghz machine with x2 250gb drives, bluetooth, 256mb XT graphics card, 2gb ram and two lovely 23" cinema displays. Total order value £6,800 sterling.

Order says on of before 16/08. Ive taken the week of work to greet it, so I really hope they can meet that delivery date.

Studio Dweller
Jul 29, 2004, 12:41 PM

I suspect that since these machines are made overseas, it's much more cost effective to ship a large quantity rather than individually. I recently ordered a BTO PowerBook and when I ran the tracking info, it said the destination was New Jersey (where I live), but a day or two before it was to be delivered, the destination changed to Indianapolis. I was concerned so I called FedEx and they said that most likely a group of computers were shipped together and then distributed from Indianapolis. It was a different type of shipment than a traditional FedEx. I believe that the tracking # is unique to your individual computer, but it is also part a larger shipment.

On a side note, I was very pleasantly surprised when my PowerBook showed up on a Friday morning even though the tracking info that same day said it was scheduled for the delivery three days later on Monday. That NEVER happens to me.

Calvinatir
Jul 29, 2004, 01:09 PM

In oregon we do!!! NO sales tax baby!!

Soire
Jul 29, 2004, 01:42 PM
In oregon we do!!! NO sales tax baby!!

Anybody wanna fill me in? I live in DC, but am paying with a NJ Credit Card billing address. So why is there $150 sales tax? I thought if there was no physical apple store then there was no sales tax. Any clues? :confused:

KevanDual2.5
Jul 29, 2004, 01:44 PM
May mine be the first machine off the production line that works correctly.

The mathematics of your point all add up perfectly. But you fail to take into account a huge cost incurred by the people/companies importing them into the UK/Europe. Apple UK import the products from outside of the UK (I think i am correct in saying that most UK items are built in Ireland). They incur import tax duty which in the UK, as with 99% of all UK taxes, is obscenely high.

I looked into this whole thing a while back when I set out to purchase my Dual 1.25Ghz G4. I researched it a little on the web but then decided to call Apple to ask for their explanation. The person at Apple i spoke to said that they are often asked that question and he proceeded to read me a pre-prepared statement outlining the difference in price. The facts of the matter are as follows....

Apple do not make any more profit per unit from sales outside the US. We, the customers, pay more for the unit as Apple passes on the import tax to us. You may find that the price charged for an item is different in all of the European countries that currently use the Euro. This is simply due to the differing levels of import tax imposed by each country. If you go through the motions of ordering something from the US, and properly importing it to the UK, the final cost is actually higher than buying from within the UK.

As I said earlier, British people are used to being ripped off by their Governments. We simply put up with it. Our petrol (Gas) prices recently peaked at 90+pence per litre (£4 per gallon approx). Do the math on that to find out how much that is in USD. It will give you a good example of our tax system. We also are subject to a 40% inheritance tax on assets over £263,000 on your death. A quick example.....

Your parents both die with total assets of £363,000....
£263,000 is tax exempt but whoever inherits from them must hand over £40,000 of the remaining £100,000 to our beloved Government.

On a slightly happier note. I just called Apple UK to check up on my order. My ship date is tomorrow, 30th July, and i was told that my machine WILL ship tomorrow. I will post again as and when i receive my confirmation.

GnOm
Jul 29, 2004, 01:49 PM
... Apple UK import the products from Apple US.

I don't think this is true for PowerMacs. AFAIK they are made in Cork, Ireland, no?

cheers.

Calvinatir
Jul 29, 2004, 01:51 PM
Anybody wanna fill me in? I live in DC, but am paying with a NJ Credit Card billing address. So why is there $150 sales tax? I thought if there was no physical apple store then there was no sales tax. Any clues? :confused:

Apple has physical presence in all 50 states. There are resellers in NJ that account for the physical presence. There is no sales tax in the state of Oregon....on anything

KevanDual2.5
Jul 29, 2004, 01:51 PM
I don't think this is true for PowerMacs. AFAIK they are made in Cork, Ireland, no?

cheers.

You are correct. I was editing my post while you replied. It may be different if they were assembled in Northern Ireland.

JDK
Jul 29, 2004, 01:59 PM
For details about sales tax, why you won't get your new Mac on Saturday, and when credit cards preauthorizations *should* appear, check out:

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html

Ishan
Jul 29, 2004, 02:24 PM
The title says it all. I ordered by dual 2.5 on the day it was announced. Today, the "on or before" date changed magically from 7/30 to 8/20. Like for my 2.0, the next change will be for 9/something, ad nausum.

parabolik
Jul 29, 2004, 02:51 PM
Ordered my dual 2.5 on 9/12 with ESD of 7/30. As of 5 minutes ago it says 8/20. This sucks.

JW Pepper
Jul 29, 2004, 02:57 PM
Ordered my dual 2.5 on 9/12 with ESD of 7/30. As of 5 minutes ago it says 8/20. This sucks.

The title says it all. I ordered by dual 2.5 on the day it was announced. Today, the "on or before" date changed magically from 7/30 to 8/20. Like for my 2.0, the next change will be for 9/something, ad nausum.

Our worst nightmares are now comming true...

SwitchingSoon
Jul 29, 2004, 03:09 PM
yep, same status here. sucks.

iriejedi
Jul 29, 2004, 03:14 PM
I was hopeful - but I am NOT surprised in the least - plus for me I knew it was going to be the 6800 card that screwed me over... but hey my 23 inch came to day will be fun toy for now....

THIS JUST IN:

To Our Valued Apple Customer:

Thank you for ordering the new Dual 2.5GHz Power Mac G5!

The demand for this item has been incredible.

We are shipping them as quickly ***B*LLSH*T*** (*^*&^*^*^*^^*
as possible, but cannot meet the ship date we previously estimated
for you.

We now expect to ship your Power Mac on or before August 20th.

Please rest assured that we fulfill all orders in the order they are
received.
If we do not hear from you prior to shipment, we will assume the
revised date is acceptable, and will ship your order. We will notify you if there
are any changes to the revised ship date.

iriejedi
Jul 29, 2004, 03:16 PM
I would be willing to put up $5 that none ship this week... and the ones that do are essentially prototypes that will have isues....

Now I'm grumpy - but I have to be honest when I look in the mirror and repeat to my self "I told ME so!"

Xenious
Jul 29, 2004, 03:23 PM
I ordered mine on June 28th at 1:04p (CTO w 250gig drive, 1 gig mem, BT and AE) and so far (fingers crossed) it still says "on or before 7/30/04". We'll see if this changes later this afternoon.

Yep 8/20 like everyone else oh well at least I have my 23" monitor connected to my Windows box.

fishtank22
Jul 29, 2004, 03:26 PM
WTF?
I ordered my machine on 06/09/2004. For 2 months it said the ship date was on or before 7/30. I just logged in and checked my status and it just changed to On or before 8/30.

Give me a ***** break. I didnt order the NVIDIA card because I didnt want to wait until August for the machine. Now I have to wait until August anyway and the sales rep that I just talked to said that if I change to the NVIDIA Card now that it will delay my date even further.

At this point I may as well go get a 2.0DP and say screw it.

Rocketfella
Jul 29, 2004, 03:33 PM
"At this point I may as well go get a 2.0DP and say screw it."

This is a really sad day as I thought mine would ship tommorow. I'm thinking about 2.0 as well. But what is the wait for a 2.0DP at this point?

bizilko
Jul 29, 2004, 03:33 PM
Fantastic! I just checked my order status. Ordered on June 14th and now shipping is updated to 8/20? Thanks Apple for making my first experience w/ macs so great. :mad:

Mercury
Jul 29, 2004, 03:34 PM
Yep, mine's shipping 8/20 now too after getting the dreaded e-mail. I'm still on the Radeon 9800XT, should I upgrade to the GeForce 6800...?

At least I have my beautiful 23" to keep me company that arrived yesterday.

child810
Jul 29, 2004, 03:38 PM
I was thinking of upgrading to the 6800 also but I bet that would push our shipdates into September. This Sucks like a fox!

RustyM
Jul 29, 2004, 03:40 PM
Same story here.
I ordered on 6/9 and just got an email from apple.
Freakin' 8/20, I'm pissed off.

klaus
Jul 29, 2004, 03:40 PM
Yep, mine's shipping 8/20 now too after getting the dreaded e-mail. I'm still on the Radeon 9800XT, should I upgrade to the GeForce 6800...?

At least I have my beautiful 23" to keep me company that arrived yesterday.

Don't do it, as your order will be pushed further away, they can't modify an order without closing it, and add you to the queue again

SwitchingSoon
Jul 29, 2004, 03:41 PM
apple: unprepared, unorganized, and irresponsible yet again!

LeonPro
Jul 29, 2004, 03:53 PM
received the email from Apple today stating my order is delayed to one more month - Aug 20. Why are we not surprised to all see this from Apple.

fishtank22
Jul 29, 2004, 03:55 PM
Ship Different

KevanDual2.5
Jul 29, 2004, 03:57 PM
Like most people who have pre-ordered a Dual 2.5Ghz G5 I very regularly check the Order Status page. I ordered the following;

Dual 2.5ghz G5
512MB DDR400 RAM
250GB SATA
8x Superdrive
RADEON 9800XT

SubTotal: £2,126.81

Estimated Tax: £372.19

Shipping Charge: £0.00

Estimated Total: £2,499.00

Order was placed via the UK Apple Store at 8:44pm on the 8th of July 2004. The following day i received 3 emails from Apple. One order acknowledgment then the corresponding order confirmation as well as a further email to say my order had been declined and cancelled. I called Apple to discuss it and they admitted that the last email had been sent in error and that my order had in fact been accepted and was sent for processing. I asked about the shipping date and after a friendly chat the person suggested that my order would be upgraded in priority to ensure it was among the first batch shipped. He even sent me an email confirming the error AND stating that my machine WILL ship on the 30th.

It is almost 10pm as i write this and the ship date on the Order Status page is still 30th July. I have not had an email to confirm shipping but i do fully expect to receive it tomorrow at some point.

Xenious
Jul 29, 2004, 03:57 PM
WTF?
I ordered my machine on 06/09/2004. For 2 months it said the ship date was on or before 7/30. I just logged in and checked my status and it just changed to On or before 8/30.

Give me a ***** break. I didnt order the NVIDIA card because I didnt want to wait until August for the machine. Now I have to wait until August anyway and the sales rep that I just talked to said that if I change to the NVIDIA Card now that it will delay my date even further.

At this point I may as well go get a 2.0DP and say screw it.

Never fear it just got changed to 8/20 along with everyone else ahha
-jim

fishtank22
Jul 29, 2004, 03:59 PM
I just logged in a set up an order for a Dual 2.0 with the NVIDIA 6800 and the ship date says 5-7 bus.days.

Seriously thinking about just doing that. whats the possible speed difference. 10-15% tops. Once you get the that level of a machine, the speed increase is not linear.

brykken
Jul 29, 2004, 04:05 PM
What upsets me the most is that they sent the email less than 24 hours before they were supposed to ship. I mean do they really even care about their customers?

I didn't want to jump the gun and get angry with apple on pure supposition, but this email is pretty damn concrete. If they don't send ANY 2.5's tommorrow, I'm going to be terribly upset. That's just not right.

wnurse
Jul 29, 2004, 04:11 PM

The graphics card was the delay, not the monitor. Apple can manufacture the monitor at a moment notice. They are waiting for the graphics card i believe.

klaus
Jul 29, 2004, 04:21 PM
I ordered mine the 13th of june through my local reseller, so I can't check my order status, maybe it's for the good, cause I would be refreshing it constantly.

It's pretty normal you are all pretty pissed about that email that set your date back 3 weeks, but keep in mind this thing happened to a lot of customers when they ordered their new displays, I can recall several of them posting a note that their shipping date slipped back a week or more, and then a couple hours later, they got another mail that it had been shipped. So who knows, they may vary well be playing it 'safe'. At least so I hope for you guys, cause I am pretty sure i'll be waiting for a while, cause I don't think orders through a reseller, are hold in the same queue as the ones through apple online. So i'm considering end august..

and think about it: my new 23" is sitting in that warehouse, waiting for my g5 to arrive, cause I refuse to pick it up and attach it to my windows computer.. go figure..

cu

brykken
Jul 29, 2004, 04:21 PM
Okay, I just checked my bank account and they did that pre-auth thing again at the same time they sent me the email! This is insane! If they are f'in with my head, I'm going to be pissed!

BTW I ordered 6:15AM PST on June 9!

GeckoHD
Jul 29, 2004, 04:36 PM
My order is still showing at 16/08/04 (UK order).

Fingers crossed it doesnt change. I will be so dissapointed. This Apple marks my defection to Mac from a lifetime of PC use, and it would be a very bad way to start a relationship. I left PCs to get away from dissapointment...

edgarj
Jul 29, 2004, 04:56 PM
ordered 6/9 (edu), new estimated ship 8/20....

The part that gets me is the 11th hour heads up. OK, so they cant ship my box on time, but I doubt that they just realized it today and these failures are less disruptive to customers if they aren't announced at the last minute. What a bummer, but I don't have any choice but to wait at this point.

Blue Velvet
Jul 29, 2004, 05:00 PM
God I hope they ship soon in the UK... Ordered mine 06-JUL-2004... 2.5GHz, 2GB DDR, GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL, Bluetooth, Airport Extreme, and to top it off a 23" Cinema display! :) CAN'T WAIT! This machine is going to be a wonder-machine for my music... Now all I need is a world class studio to go with it... :D

Have anyone here on the forums from the UK received anything?

Cheers Nai

Ordered 3 (std config) from Apple UK within a couple of hours of them being announced. Last I heard, due this week (?) or next. I'm back in the office tomorrow & will find out more...

I wonder who will be first to post the arrival of their new toy?

Soire
Jul 29, 2004, 05:04 PM
We were waiting at the beginning of the year. We waited through the spring. We waited until a year after they were originally released for updates. They came, at half of what was PROMISED. Then we waited two more months, after ordering and Apple putting their hands on the funds. Then Apple waited, until 12 hours before promised shipment time, to say that we must wait another 20 days.

I'm guessing Apple knew they wouldn't ship about two weeks ago. You think they suddenly looked around today and said, "gee aren't there supposed to be thousands of G5s ready to ship? I guess we outta let our customers know they won't be shipped." No, they didn't want people to be rightfully pissed off and cancel their orders because of the actual ETA.

Today is my birthday. So far I've vomited, had my iPod stolen, and found out that my ETA of 8/02 doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of happening.

Thanks Apple.

fowler.
Jul 29, 2004, 05:07 PM
I'm hoping to go to my school on Saturday and pick up a new 2.5. Supposedly they are getting 10 in on friday.. we'll see.

DWKlink
Jul 29, 2004, 05:22 PM
What I don't get is that if you go on Apple's website right now, it says 4-6 weeks for a new machine.

Are you telling me that someone who orders now, almost 2 months after I have ordered (6/09) will get the machine in almost the same amount of time that I will?

Somethings fishy here...

virividox
Jul 29, 2004, 06:09 PM
the local reseller in manila says they will get them in 1 month

videian
Jul 29, 2004, 06:28 PM
show your dissatisfaction here

http://www.petitiononline.com/Apple_G5/petition-sign.html

MilesAhead
Jul 29, 2004, 07:11 PM
People, we are talking a delay of all of three weeks. It's not like the machines were cancelled, or Apple took our money and left town. take a deep breath and try not to act like little kids waiting for Christmas morning. There are a lot of factors involved in getting these things out (new processors, new video cards, system update, a whole new cooling system, etc.) It's not like Apple is delaying these machines to personally taunt us - they will ship when ready. If you can't handle the concept of slipping release dates, then I suggest that the world of computers and software is not for you. Just chill and take a deep breath, they will arrive soon enough.

Miles
(bumped from 7/30 to 8/20 today too)

shadowband
Jul 29, 2004, 07:19 PM
"At this point I may as well go get a 2.0DP and say screw it."

This is a really sad day as I thought mine would ship tommorow. I'm thinking about 2.0 as well. But what is the wait for a 2.0DP at this point?

Don't do it - even the 2.0DP boxes are slipping their estimated ship dates. I ordered a BTO 2.0DP on 6/28 with an estimated ship date of 7/8. On 7/9, the ship date got pushed out to 7/23, but fortunately it shipped on 7/13. Still, that's over two weeks to ship a BTO box. Just hang tight.

Soire
Jul 29, 2004, 07:55 PM
People, we are talking a delay of all of three weeks. It's not like the machines were cancelled, or Apple took our money and left town. take a deep breath and try not to act like little kids waiting for Christmas morning. There are a lot of factors involved in getting these things out (new processors, new video cards, system update, a whole new cooling system, etc.) It's not like Apple is delaying these machines to personally taunt us - they will ship when ready. If you can't handle the concept of slipping release dates, then I suggest that the world of computers and software is not for you. Just chill and take a deep breath, they will arrive soon enough.

Miles
(bumped from 7/30 to 8/20 today too)

I've got some choice words for you. F THAT. I don't wanna act lick a jerk and get into a flame war, but this is unbearable. If you're ok with it, then congrats. I for one am pissed off. I ordered something, they said it would be delivered, and now they have pushed it back. Now i'm angry. What's the problem? We have every right to be pissed off. 3 months of waiting???!!??

:mad:

ps- i am in fact drunk while writing this.

wdlove
Jul 29, 2004, 08:02 PM
I've got some choice words for you. F THAT. I don't wanna act lick a jerk and get into a flame war, but this is unbearable. If you're ok with it, then congrats. I for one am pissed off. I ordered something, they said it would be delivered, and now they have pushed it back. Now I'm angry. What's the problem? We have every right to be pissed off. 3 months of waiting???!!??

:mad:

p.s.- i am in fact drunk while writing this.

You have every right to have your feelings. Try to channel your anger into positive ways. I don't think that Apple is doing this on purpose. We should try to be patient and give them a chance. We have just become too much of a now society.

Duff-Man
Jul 29, 2004, 08:02 PM

Miles
(bumped from 7/30 to 8/20 today too)Duff-Man says...ah, a voice of calm and reason. While I understand that people get frustrated with the delay I do think they are getting a little carried away with the venting - I mean really...petitions...is that going to get you the computer any faster? Or the old "I'll never buy anything fom Apple again....I'm buying a Dell or Alienware or whatever..." - it's so old.

I have a dual 2.5 on order from a reseller...they've not yet received any notification from Apple that any 2.5's are coming their way (and hence mine). I am I disappointed - sure, I'd like the computer sooner rather than later. But I am not going to rant and rave over a delay of 3 weeks or so - it just isn't worth it. Am I going to go buy a Dell instead? No, I get my fill of that every day supporting those things at work. As miles ahead said - it's not uncommon for ship dates to slip in the computer business....how many times has Microsoft pushed back release dates for their stuff? Just relax everyone - you'll get your computer.....oh yeah!

Sun Baked
Jul 29, 2004, 08:03 PM
You are correct. I was editing my post while you replied. It may be different if they were assembled in Northern Ireland.There is still quite a bit of elctronics pre-assembly done by Apple's main subcontractor Hon Hai/Foxconn.

I wouldn't be too surprised if there is a Foxconn stamp on the LCS units in the machines.

Poeben
Jul 29, 2004, 10:22 PM
I have been checking these forums frequently for the past few months. Finally, I broke down and ordered a Dual 2.5, 1GB, 250GB HDD, 9600XT this past Monday, July 26. As I expected the ship date was 4-6 weeks--estimated shipping on September 9th.

Well today I recieve an email from Apple saying that they "are very pleased to report that we have revised the shipping estimate for your order" and that they "anticipate shipping your G5 by Monday, August 2." I am surprised and skeptical, as when I checked the order status online the date was pushed back to September 10th. What is going on? Anyone else get this kind of email? Can this really be true..

joco
Jul 29, 2004, 10:49 PM
Duff-Man says...ah, a voice of calm and reason. While I understand that people get frustrated with the delay I do think they are getting a little carried away with the venting - I mean really...petitions...is that going to get you the computer any faster? Or the old "I'll never buy anything fom Apple again....I'm buying a Dell or Alienware or whatever..." - it's so old.

I have a dual 2.5 on order from a reseller...they've not yet received any notification from Apple that any 2.5's are coming their way (and hence mine). I am I disappointed - sure, I'd like the computer sooner rather than later. But I am not going to rant and rave over a delay of 3 weeks or so - it just isn't worth it. Am I going to go buy a Dell instead? No, I get my fill of that every day supporting those things at work. As miles ahead said - it's not uncommon for ship dates to slip in the computer business....how many times has Microsoft pushed back release dates for their stuff? Just relax everyone - you'll get your computer.....oh yeah!

Maybe you should READ the petition. We are not writing to get our computer any faster, we are writing to have a company be HONEST with us. Do you honestly believe that Apple did not know if the delays before 2:00 EST today? C'mon with them supposedly shipping tmrw? I would bet things would have been in order days ago in order to hit that date. And ya know what, they probably even knew how many they were getting and when. All we ask for is the real story, dont just hand us some line at 12:30 EST that "yes your computer will ship on 7/30 or before" to have it changed 30 minutes later to 8/20

invaLPsion
Jul 29, 2004, 10:51 PM
I have been checking these forums frequently for the past few months. Finally, I broke down and ordered a Dual 2.5, 1GB, 250GB HDD, 9600XT this past Monday, July 26. As I expected the ship date was 4-6 weeks--estimated shipping on September 9th.

Well today I recieve an email from Apple saying that they "are very pleased to report that we have revised the shipping estimate for your order" and that they "anticipate shipping your G5 by Monday, August 2." I am surprised and skeptical, as when I checked the order status online the date was pushed back to September 10th. What is going on? Anyone else get this kind of email? Can this really be true..

That email was probably not meant for you. Emails have been going all over the place and to the wrong people. My bet is that the people who were the VERY FIRST too order will see theirs ship tomorrow or Monday...

Duff-Man
Jul 29, 2004, 10:59 PM
Maybe you should READ the petition. We are not writing to get our computer any faster, we are writing to have a company be HONEST with us. Do you honestly believe that Apple did not know if the delays before 2:00 EST today? C'mon with them supposedly shipping tmrw? I would bet things would have been in order days ago in order to hit that date. And ya know what, they probably even knew how many they were getting and when. All we ask for is the real story, dont just hand us some line at 12:30 EST that "yes your computer will ship on 7/30 or before" to have it changed 30 minutes later to 8/20Duff-Man says...i *did* read the petition...56 signatures...wow...that'll show 'em for sure. Sorry, but I just have trouble with these people running off starting online petitions for everything under the sun. What a waste of time and bandwidth. Sure, I agree that Apple should perhaps be better at updating the status of these things...but going off half-cocked like some people here is pointless...imho anyway....oh yeah!

SwitchingSoon
Jul 29, 2004, 11:00 PM
if this guy with a july order date beats me..... all hell will break loose.

DWKlink
Jul 29, 2004, 11:00 PM
Duff-Man says...ah, a voice of calm and reason. While I understand that people get frustrated with the delay I do think they are getting a little carried away with the venting - I mean really...petitions...is that going to get you the computer any faster? Or the old "I'll never buy anything fom Apple again...

I agree with you completely. I've waited a long time for a new mac (9+ months). Another 3 weeks really isn't that big a deal. It will come and go and at the end of it, we'll all be very very happy with our kick-a## machines. (Part of me is also very optimistic that maybe these machines will start to ship before the 20th.)

I think a lot of this upsetment is not due to the delay however. I think there are better ways that apple could have handled the delay. Like not waiting till the last minute - I have a feeling that a 3 week delay did not all of a sudden creep up on them. I have to believe that they knew that they were going to miss this date for a while. I also understand why apple is being so secretive about the source of the delay, but it also might make people who are making a $3000 investment into a product feel a little better if they knew something about the source of the delay and what apple is doing to remedy the problem. What is hapening in these three weeks, and how do we know in three weeks that it won't be another 3 weeks. I think just a little bit more communication on apple's part would make everyone a lot happier.

Take it or leave it - that's my 2 cents for you.

joco
Jul 29, 2004, 11:07 PM
I agree with you completely. I've waited a long time for a new mac (9+ months). Another 3 weeks really isn't that big a deal. It will come and go and at the end of it, we'll all be very very happy with our kick-a## machines. (Part of me is also very optimistic that maybe these machines will start to ship before the 20th.)

I think a lot of this upsetment is not due to the delay however. I think there are better ways that apple could have handled the delay. Like not waiting till the last minute - I have a feeling that a 3 week delay did not all of a sudden creep up on them. I have to believe that they knew that they were going to miss this date for a while. I also understand why apple is being so secretive about the source of the delay, but it also might make people who are making a $3000 investment into a product feel a little better if they knew something about the source of the delay and what apple is doing to remedy the problem. What is hapening in these three weeks, and how do we know in three weeks that it won't be another 3 weeks. I think just a little bit more communication on apple's part would make everyone a lot happier.

Take it or leave it - that's my 2 cents for you.

You are 100% correct, now go sign the petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/Apple_G5/petition.html

And hey sure we have only 56 sigs as of now, but yet its only been up for a few hours and c'mon how many people have actually ordered these machines and how many unique people are reading this particular thread of the forums.

Note, these online petitions do work. I have seen some major changes from ones that I have organized before.

DWKlink
Jul 29, 2004, 11:13 PM
Some interesting info on this appleinsider thread:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44690

Things might not be as bad as they seem :)

Zapranoth
Jul 29, 2004, 11:22 PM
You are 100% correct, now go sign the petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/Apple_G5/petition.html

And hey sure we have only 56 sigs as of now, but yet its only been up for a few hours and c'mon how many people have actually ordered these machines and how many unique people are reading this particular thread of the forums.

Note, these online petitions do work. I have seen some major changes from ones that I have organized before.

I agree with Duff-Man. I do not mean to offend people who are obviously very upset, but take a deep breath. There are bigger and badder deals in this world than a VERY nice computer being pushed back in its ship date. It isn't like anyone was diagnosed with leukemia (like a 29 year old woman I know, a good friend) or that any of us spent today in court fighting for child custody (another friend of mine).

Some people probably are expecting these machines for work and productivity purposes; I sympathize most with these people. My duallie is ordered, in the main, for ANTI-productivity purposes, and as such that just means I have to suffer with this wind0ze box for another three weeks, and I don't get to play with the Mac in the two weeks remaining before I start my new job (as I had been hoping to). So that sucks, yeah. But it isn't leukemia, it isn't court; for some people it is lost work productivity, and for some of us it's a loss of gaming (which is a bummer. I love to play, too, guys).

At the least, let's all try to keep the F-word and other such talk out of what has been, so far, a friendly thread?

~Shard~
Jul 30, 2004, 12:17 AM
I agree with Duff-Man. I do not mean to offend people who are obviously very upset, but take a deep breath. There are bigger and badder deals in this world than a VERY nice computer being pushed back in its ship date. It isn't like anyone was diagnosed with leukemia (like a 29 year old woman I know, a good friend) or that any of us spent today in court fighting for child custody (another friend of mine).

Some people probably are expecting these machines for work and productivity purposes; I sympathize most with these people. My duallie is ordered, in the main, for ANTI-productivity purposes, and as such that just means I have to suffer with this wind0ze box for another three weeks, and I don't get to play with the Mac in the two weeks remaining before I start my new job (as I had been hoping to). So that sucks, yeah. But it isn't leukemia, it isn't court; for some people it is lost work productivity, and for some of us it's a loss of gaming (which is a bummer. I love to play, too, guys).

At the least, let's all try to keep the F-word and other such talk out of what has been, so far, a friendly thread?

I agree with you and Duff-Man - there are more important things in life than complaining about the shippping of shiny new PowerMacs that will be obsolete in a couple years anyway. In the grand scheme of things, is it a big deal? So your PowerMac is delayed - it's not a big deal, and if that's the worst things going on in your life right now, consider yourself lucky. Although I sympathize with you, especially those of you requiring them for work purposes, I don't sympathize with whiners and complainers - ever. Especially ones who swear and can't control their tempers like immature children who are spolied brats. In other words, there are penty of people waiting for the 2.5s that aren't complaining and causing a fuss, and none of this is directed towards them, just so no one misunderstands me.

Patience is a virtue. Some people have none. :cool:

SwitchingSoon
Jul 30, 2004, 12:52 AM
Guys, we are just exercising or freedom to petition. Apple has "over promised and under delivered" (to quote another user) several times with several products. We shouldn't be getting chastized just because we don't want to keep giving Apple a "get out of jail" free card whenever they mess up. We want to hold them to their word and responsibility, and as customers, it IS our right. This computer is very important to many people for school and for work. With these new shipping dates, several of us won't be receiving our computers until after the school season begins.

In my personal case, I have never had a mac before, so I don't know how to use Mac OS X. That alone would have been a challenge in my empty summer, but now that it's going to be an addition to my hours of homework, and I'm a little pissed off. Understandably. I also need to transfer several gigabytes of information over to the Mac using CDs.

I know in another lady's case, she was going to sell her old mac to someone. Now she has to cancel that.

Please respect our right to petition. Thanks.

weezer160
Jul 30, 2004, 01:33 AM
Well, it's 0040, 30 July 2004, here in Albuquerque, NM. What's the latest on the shipments, or am I being too soon? ;)

JohnnyTwoToes
Jul 30, 2004, 01:40 AM
eh, let us all just vent...it's ok to be peeved about it. i don't think i've ever had an experience with anything i've ever preordered like this before. am i upset? yeah...but what are ya gonna do? nothing except wait it out, or cancel your order while you're throwing your tantrum for the apple rep. this isnt saying that i don't necessarily agree with how apple has handled this thing. it's my first apple, and its not the carefree amazing switch i've been told it is. the thing that gets my goat isnt the delay...or even the lack of communication about whats going on. all it takes is for instead of saying "on or before 7/30" or "on or before 8/20" would be for them to say "no earlier than _____" but im sure it would be phrased in a more appropriate way. its fine if you leave it open apple, thats OK. but when you say "ON OR BEFORE" you're closing it. just word it different....dont give people a reason to get upset and all this crap gets avoided. end rant, end my 2 cents. love me...

now...back to drowing babies
baby tally = 23
www.waltzillustration.com

Zapranoth
Jul 30, 2004, 01:58 AM
Guys, we are just exercising or freedom to petition. Apple has "over promised and under delivered" (to quote another user) several times with several products. We shouldn't be getting chastized just because we don't want to keep giving Apple a "get out of jail" free card whenever they mess up. We want to hold them to their word and responsibility, and as customers, it IS our right. This computer is very important to many people for school and for work. With these new shipping dates, several of us won't be receiving our computers until after the school season begins.

You'll note that I say nothing about the petition.

I just would like people to keep it nice. You know, like Dalton, the Patrick Swayze character in "Roadhouse" says: "Be nice."

:p

Petition away, guys. It's something to do while waiting for the 20th I guess... but whether it's right or not, whether it's bad business or unforgivably bad business, is each person's decision. I submit, though, that this is just a little bit of history repeating itself, for those of us who have been around this particular shipping block before...

belair
Jul 30, 2004, 02:48 AM
My apple reseller told me on Thuesday that the G5's would be delayed till the end of august. I posted it on this forum. I thought it would be delayed for Europe and more so for the Benelux countries only. But hey I got the infotmation first. Yep just being an ass here ;).

Apple should be able to keep its customer informed about what they will get in the future and when they will get it. COMMON people. In the buisness world this is not professional at all. Imagine you arrange a meeting with the CEO of your Head Office in New York, you take the plane you check in your hotel you get up in the morning to go to your meeting pull up top his secretarys desk :
"Well hello sir, no Mr. CEO is not there he is on a buisness trip to China, he has been gone for three days and won't be back till next week"
WHAT?
You simply don't do that.
Our world is run by deadlines.
Our economy is fast paced and competitive.
Keeping people in the dark is very cool around ipods but not for workmachines.
Telling your partners at the last minute that you can't meet the deadline is not professional!!!

That's all i have to say.I decided on Thuesday to buy a 2.0, having a lot of stuff that had to be done and saved 700 euros on doing so. I did not do it because I was pissed at apple. We are a little older than that, but because time was running against me and my work. I cancelled my 2.5 order that same day and picked up my new machine. Simple

It's just apple losing money here. They could revise their communication strategy.

ITR 81
Jul 30, 2004, 03:27 AM
I got that same email about it being pushed back till 8/20 but Apple charged my CC a day ago. I called them and apparently my G5 is shipping out on Fri.

I wonder if having my edu account helped me.

I was told to expect it early next week around Tues or Wed.

klaus
Jul 30, 2004, 04:06 AM
Did they charge it, or made a pre-authorization?

Btw, what was your order status, it's nice to write these things in your post, so we can compare with the rest of us

Skiniftz
Jul 30, 2004, 06:19 AM
Dear Apple Customer,/br> (sic)

The demand for this item has been incredible. We are shipping them as quickly
as possible, but cannot meet the ship date we previously estimated for you. We now
expect to ship your Power Mac on or before August 20th.

To check the status of your order, visit
https://store.apple.com/Your/WebObjects/OrderStatusEurope.
When your PowerMac G5 ships, you will receive a Shipment Notification via email
explaining how you may track the package. We will notify you if there are any changes
to the revised ship date.

We appreciate your patience and sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this
delay has caused you. Thank you for your interest in Apple products!

Sincerely,

The Apple Store Team

Skiniftz
Jul 30, 2004, 06:31 AM
Duff-Man says...i *did* read the petition...56 signatures...wow...that'll show 'em for sure. Sorry, but I just have trouble with these people running off starting online petitions for everything under the sun. What a waste of time and bandwidth. Sure, I agree that Apple should perhaps be better at updating the status of these things...but going off half-cocked like some people here is pointless...imho anyway....oh yeah!
The thing that annoys me here is firstly, you cant start a petition with thousands of signatures. When it starts, you have none and they have to build up. Yesterday when I signed it was at 25, today it's at 56. Dissing it because it doesnt have many signatures is pointless. You may as well say "dont sign this petition because not many other people have" which is stupid.

As for the "waste of time and bandwidth" on a "half-cocked" online petition, then I suppose your alternative is to do nothing? Quite frankly I'm the type who likes to actively do something when I have a problem rather than burying myself under the bedcovers and hoping it wil go away. I just got an email from the Apple Store pushing my ship date back to 20th August. Quite frankly I expected nothing less from Apple, the masters of smoke and mirrors. I honestly expect on 19th of August to get another email pushing the date back again. I am going to be looking at my available options which include cancelling the order and sticking with the PC.

If the petition had 1000 signatures, would you have still considered it a "waste of time and bandwidth" one wonders. Lets get one thing straight here - I dont think Apple are going to listen to an online petition at all - it will go the way of every complaint aimed at Apple - ignored. It will however expose to people exactly how unreliable ordering from Apple is, and perhaps they may go elsewhere. That I assure you WILL get their attention.

atari
Jul 30, 2004, 06:50 AM
I can sympathize.....I basically had the choice between waiting for 6-8 weeks or get a dual 2 Ghz. The performance numbers I have seen in the latest edition of MacWorld (German Edition) made me opt for the 2.0 and I have not regretted it
:D

ITR 81
Jul 30, 2004, 07:01 AM
Did they charge it, or made a pre-authorization?

Btw, what was your order status, it's nice to write these things in your post, so we can compare with the rest of us

My card was charged because I had to call the CC company to ask about who just charged my card and they said it was Apple Computer.
She told me It would appear on my next statement which comes in on and around the 10-12th of every month. So I better get it before my bill gets here.

1 Shipped 07/29/2004

klaus
Jul 30, 2004, 07:05 AM
I thought they send you a confirmation mail which says your order has been shipped, did you receive that? As long as that doesn't come, I wouldn't get my hopes up..sorry

but I hope you get one!

MilesAhead
Jul 30, 2004, 07:15 AM
OK, I understand why people are upset, and certainly don't mind a little venting, but you have to understand that there are some pitfalls in ordering a just-announced product that does not exist yet - you have to wait for it to exist for it to ship, all promises of ship dates aside.

Look at it this way. You make a date with a woman for two weeks from today at 6:00. On the day of the date, your boss tells you you have to work until 6. You call your date and apologize, but tell her you will be late. Surprisingly, you get out of work at 5, so you call her again and tell her you will be there at 6 after all. But, darn the bad luck, on the way there you have a flat tire and you make it there an hour late. Now none of this is your fault or hers, and as long as no one gets ticked off and cancels the whole thing you can still go out and have a great time. If you do, then by the end of the date no one will remember or care that it got off to a rocky start.

II think that Apple made their initial ship estimate in good faith, but stuff happens. The last thing you want to do is run off and cancel your order, or settle for a slower machine than you really want just because you can have it today. By this fall, the waiting game will be a memory and you will be enjoying your tower of power.

fps
Jul 30, 2004, 07:17 AM
I hope that these Rev1 dual 2.5GHz won't leak though ;)

Got my new dual 2Ghz 3 weeks ago here in London with 1.25Gb Ram, bluetooth, ATI 9600XT and I could not be happier :) (my first mac). It looks fantastic on my 21" CRT @1600x1200.
The ease of use, installing/de-installing software is just superb.

Now Id Software give me Doom 3!

Skiniftz
Jul 30, 2004, 09:30 AM
I hope that these Rev1 dual 2.5GHz won't leak though ;)

Got my new dual 2Ghz 3 weeks ago here in London with 1.25Gb Ram, bluetooth, ATI 9600XT and I could not be happier :) (my first mac). It looks fantastic on my 21" CRT @1600x1200.
The ease of use, installing/de-installing software is just superb.

Now Id Software give me Doom 3!
Ahh yes - Doom3 is out on 2nd August which I think I will get - for the PC naturally.

Reminds me of one of my favourite quotes:

"You know what games are great on the Mac, because you already played them 3 years ago on the PC!"

I considered cancelling the DP2.5 and getting a DP2.0 however I am led to believe this would probably still lead to a long wait.

Maybe I should go out to a dealer and try and find one with shelf stock. I may take a trip out.

wdlove
Jul 30, 2004, 11:18 AM
Ahh yes - Doom3 is out on 2nd August which I think I will get - for the PC naturally.

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

"You know what games are great on the Mac, because you already played them 3 years ago on the PC!"

I considered canceling the DP2.5 and getting a DP2.0 however I am led to believe this would probably still lead to a long wait.

Maybe I should go out to a dealer and try and find one with shelf stock. I may take a trip out.

I don't see why that 18 days would make that much of a difference. Try to have patience. The wait will be worth the time. Just be sure that the 2.0 is what you really want.

KevanDual2.5
Jul 30, 2004, 11:24 AM
Having not had the dreaded email relating to the further delays I was confident that I would receive an 'order shipped' email sometime today. I am just in from work and an email from Apple was waiting for me. At 12.15pm today, 30th July, they decided that they are not able to ship my order for another 3 weeks. To say I was a little upset would be putting it very mildly. Having calmed down sufficiently I decided to call Apple for an 'order status' update armed with the email confirming my order would ship on the 30th received as a result of a previous call. I acted dumb and was told that my order was currently in production and I would receive an email soon confirming the ship date. I asked when this was likely to be. 20th August was the reply. I informed her of the estimated ship date which is still given on the online status page. She simply read back to me the text from the delay email sent out to customers. I argued the fact that I had been given the 30th as the ship date and that I had an email from Apple telling me that it would ship today. She then told me that the text of the delay email had been handed out to all of the call centre staff at 1pm this afternoon and up until that time her and her colleagues had been giving customers who called the same ship date that has always been giving.

I gave my opinion as to the level of customer service currently provided by Appl on this matter. She could do nothing but agree. I asked for an address to forward a complaint to but she had no idea who, or where, i should send it to.

I am a diehard Mac user. This experience is adding insult to injury as I am the growingly hearing impaired owner of a Dual 1.25ghz G4 windtunnel. I'm not switching to Windows but I will find it difficult to give good reasons to friends and colleagues who may be thinking about switching to Mac. I think Apple should release some official comments on the delays and attempt to compensate the early adopters in some way.

Mac Fan
Jul 30, 2004, 01:10 PM
I ordered mine on June 11th. It said it would ship on or before July 30th.

I got an email yesterday that says it won't ship until August 20th.

Apple really sucks at business, don't they? Great products, though.

I haven't read all 100 messages. Has anyone received their dual 2.5 Ghz G5? Has anyone received an nVidia 6800?

Poeben
Jul 30, 2004, 01:24 PM
I received the shipment notification today saying that my G5 has shipped. I guess they are for real, and considering I placed my order less than a week ago we should all have our G5's very soon. To quote Duff-man---Oh Yeah!!!!

Mac Fan
Jul 30, 2004, 01:31 PM
I received the shipment notification today saying that my G5 has shipped. I guess they are for real, and considering I placed my order less than a week ago we should all have our G5's very soon. To quote Duff-man---Oh Yeah!!!!

Which G5?

Lancetx
Jul 30, 2004, 01:43 PM
Some are definitely shipping today, so most of the panic was unnecessary.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=575

jeffdr
Jul 30, 2004, 01:50 PM
YES!

Mine shipped today!!!!!!! I just got my shipping confirmation from apple!

OMG OMG OMG

** takes deep breath **

Specs are:

Dual 2.5 Ghz
1G ram
r9600XT
160G HD

From the looks of it, I'm getting 2-day shipping as well! Does FedEx deliver on sundays?

aussiemac86
Jul 30, 2004, 01:55 PM
...from down under. time 2.55 am. just arrived home from clubs/pubs. Need dual 2.5 sooooon....like very soon hurrry the FuK up.

p.s.....yeah well just got home, hence the pissed type post ...2.5 get here now@!!!!!

bdrago
Jul 30, 2004, 02:21 PM
It looks like only systems with 9600 cards are shipping. Anyone get a shipping notice with a non-9600 card in it?

videogame_junky
Jul 30, 2004, 02:41 PM
Mine shipped, but it has a 9600xt (very excited, its my frist mac). I was talking to a local reseller, he said the other cards wouldn't be ready on launch. But then again that was in June, so things might have changed.

JohnnyTwoToes
Jul 30, 2004, 03:02 PM
It looks like only systems with 9600 cards are shipping. Anyone get a shipping notice with a non-9600 card in it?

i did...i have a 9800xt...i also traded favors for the early shipdate. i'll never walk right again, BUT MAN WAS IT WORTH IT!

Xenious
Jul 30, 2004, 03:03 PM
YES!

Mine shipped today!!!!!!! I just got my shipping confirmation from apple!

From the looks of it, I'm getting 2-day shipping as well! Does FedEx deliver on sundays?

Sweet, nope they don't and they don't normally consider saturday or sunday as one of the "2 days." So shipping fri 2 day could mean arrival tuesday.

belair
Jul 30, 2004, 03:29 PM
That they actually start shipping a few.
Apple is really looking unprofessional on this one.

Make shure to send us bench marks as soon as you get yours.

SwitchingSoon
Jul 30, 2004, 03:32 PM
i just called apple about this and they're all incompetent

"uhh, we don't know why those orders are shipping before yours."

right...

Poeben
Jul 30, 2004, 04:05 PM
Which G5?

Dual 2.5/1GB/250GB/9600/ otherwise stock. Appears to be shipping from China.

Rocketfella
Jul 30, 2004, 04:39 PM
Despite all of this, I have to say that I'm still glad I didn't buy the DP2.0 instead.

Why? Because I would have the previous model Cinema display now and I like the new ones much better. This is due to the fact that I specified having everything ship together.

So it's ok with me at this point...not sure how much longer I can wait though.

Skiniftz
Jul 30, 2004, 05:01 PM
Well I was so pissed off with Apple for putting my DP2.5 back to August 20th, I'm cancelling.

Just been out to the local store and picked up a DP2.0 from the shelf.

FU Apple. :mad:

Duff-Man
Jul 30, 2004, 05:23 PM
Well I was so pissed off with Apple for putting my DP2.5 back to August 20th, I'm cancelling.

FU Apple. :mad:Duff-Man says....why didn't you at least wait until early next week when all the confusion has died down and then see if your ship date moved forward some? It has already moved for others. Like I have said earlier, I understand people's frustrations and Apple has not helped with the confusion over shipping dates etc....but some of the ranting goping on and "FU Apple" stuff is just way out there....calm down people. Delays happen. Today Intel announced their P4 4ghz is delayed...Microsoft delayed Longhorn again...how many times has M$ delayed the upcoming XP Service Pack? This stuff doesn't just happen to Apple you know......oh yeah!

JW Pepper
Jul 30, 2004, 05:40 PM
6800 shipping yet please confirm if you have recieved a shipping notice.

Skiniftz
Jul 30, 2004, 05:45 PM
Duff-Man says....why didn't you at least wait until early next week when all the confusion has died down and then see if your ship date moved forward some? It has already moved for others. Like I have said earlier, I understand people's frustrations and Apple has not helped with the confusion over shipping dates etc....but some of the ranting goping on and "FU Apple" stuff is just way out there....calm down people. Delays happen. Today Intel announced their P4 4ghz is delayed...Microsoft delayed Longhorn again...how many times has M$ delayed the upcoming XP Service Pack? This stuff doesn't just happen to Apple you know......oh yeah!
What confusion? They put my date back to end of August, and I have no faith in them at all now to supply anything. As I've said before we've had fun and games at work with orders taking literally months to arrive.

Apple - good products, unbelievably **** customer service.

Xenious
Jul 30, 2004, 05:46 PM
Interestingly enough my shipping date just got upped from August 20 to August 9. I bet I'm not the only one.

Duff-Man
Jul 30, 2004, 05:51 PM
What confusion? They put my date back to end of August, and I have no faith in them at all now to supply anything. As I've said before we've had fun and games at work with orders taking literally months to arrive.

Apple - good products, unbelievably **** customer service.Duff-Man says...that's right...they'll never ship anything ever. :rolleyes: I guess you have not read the posts from people who just had the Aug 20 date moved up to Aug 8 then. Your choice of course...I just think you over-reacted....oh yeah!

LeonPro
Jul 30, 2004, 06:05 PM
I wouldn't cancel. My DP2.5 was pushed back to Aug 20, but now I received another email stating the revised shipping date is first week of Aug.

Skiniftz
Jul 30, 2004, 06:11 PM
I wouldn't cancel. My DP2.5 was pushed back to Aug 20, but now I received another email stating the revised shipping date is first week of Aug.
Too late - I'm sitting writing this on the DP2.0.

If Apple bring forward my date now after putting it back, this is just further evidence of their unbelievable incompetence.

GeckoHD
Jul 30, 2004, 06:23 PM

I spend £6,800 on a new machine, my official 'switch' from PC, and look what happens.

Dear Apple Customer,

as possible, but cannot meet the ship date we previously estimated for you. We now expect to ship your Power Mac on or before September 3rd.

Thanks Apple. I am really impressed with everything so far... not.

Ps: My original ship date was 16th August (UK).

Laslo Panaflex
Jul 30, 2004, 06:23 PM
Too late - I'm sitting writing this on the DP2.0.

If Apple bring forward my date now after putting it back, this is just further evidence of their unbelievable incompetance.

Wow, too bad you can't exercise patience. Allthough I am sure you are happy with your 2.0 (I love mine) it would have been worth the wait for the 2.5. Heck, I ordered my 2.0 in June last year, and didn't get it until October, even though Apple said they would ship in August, talk about wait!

waltsatan
Jul 30, 2004, 06:27 PM
well hell, at least if people get their 2.5s next week and there's coolant spewing and frothing out the grill, I can still cancel and not have a mess to clean up :)

walt "8/20" satan

Skiniftz
Jul 30, 2004, 07:32 PM
Wow, too bad you can't exercise patience. Allthough I am sure you are happy with your 2.0 (I love mine) it would have been worth the wait for the 2.5. Heck, I ordered my 2.0 in June last year, and didn't get it until October, even though Apple said they would ship in August, talk about wait!
Don't talk to me about patience. I've been waiting since January for the fabled "speed bump" G5's. Once it hit April it became "may as well wait for the DP3.0" and on 9th June, we had the Bad News that no, actually there is not going to be a DP3.0 "anytime soon" and ordered the DP2.5. Never felt comfortable with the new fangled liquid cooling system anyway. (What if it leaks?? :confused: )

I must have been one of the first people to order a DP2.5, yet still my date gets put back three weeks.

Couple this with multiple problems we have had at work with simple orders taking months, and I'm afraid I just don't trust them any more. It was the last straw.

I strongly suspect I would have got another email the day before the revised ship date telling me it had been put back again. Sorry but I'm not waiting another month just to be let down again. One must draw the line somewhere and this is it. ENOUGH.

Of course now I've bought a DP2.0 I have every faith that Apple will send me another email that my DP2.5 ships on Monday. It seems it's my destiny to get screwed over by them.

I purely want this Mac for CubaseSX2.0 - from what I've been hearing from my peers with similar setups, the DP2.0 if I fill it with RAM should do the job quite nicely.

What is interesting is the DP2.0 I have here seems to be a revised model - I have a DP1.8 at work and the processor cooling looks a little different.

joco
Jul 30, 2004, 08:18 PM
If you are as angry as the rest of us then please sign the petition here:
http://www.petitiononline.com/Apple_G5/

Skiniftz
Jul 30, 2004, 08:30 PM
If you are as angry as the rest of us then please sign the petition here:
http://www.petitiononline.com/Apple_G5/
Already did that yesterday :) (Check my sig!)

Xenious
Jul 30, 2004, 09:34 PM
Interestingly enough my shipping date just got upped from August 20 to August 9. I bet I'm not the only one.

This is really odd, I went to look at my order again (still due aug 9) but this is what it looks like on the status page....

2.5DPG5 CTO Z0AC -
2.5GHz PowerPC G5 065-4803
1GB MB DDR400 (PC3200)-2X512 065-4976
250GB Serial ATA-7200rpm 065-4982
8x Super Drive (DVD-R/CD-RW) 065-4928
ATI Rad9600 XT x/128MB DDR 065-4892
None 065-5080
None 065-4491
56k V.92 Modem 065-5168
Bluetooth Module 065-4985
Airport Extreme Card 065-4986
Apple Keyboard & Mouse 065-4923
Mac OS X 065-4897
None 065-4494
None 065-4683
None 065-4681
Country Kit 065-4894

Cancelled

2.5DPG5/1GB/250/SD/R9600XT/56K/BT-USA Z0ACQLL/A On or before
08/09/2004 1

Open

Any idea what may have happened? Near as I can tell its the same, but they don't list the AE card on the new part.

edgarj
Jul 30, 2004, 09:58 PM
OK... I placed my order (edu) at 10AM on 6/9 and am still stuck with the
8/20/04 slot. My order is stock with the exception of the combo substituted for the superdrive. I'm nowhere near cancelling at this point, but it does scald me that several people that ordered much later are being served ahead of me. I hope I'm never in a situation where I have to buy bleeding edge hardware from apple again. I'm not going to look at my status again until I get the shipped email as this anticipation is really killing my new computer thrill.

invaLPsion
Jul 30, 2004, 10:13 PM
8/20/04 slot. My order is stock with the exception of the combo substituted for the superdrive. I'm nowhere near cancelling at this point, but it does scald me that several people that ordered much later are being served ahead of me. I hope I'm never in a situation where I have to buy bleeding edge hardware from apple again. I'm not going to look at my status again until I get the shipped email as this anticipation is really killing my new computer thrill.

Could be. I have 8/20/04 as well and selected the combo over the superdrive. However, I still am optimistic that mine will ship soon, I know for a fact that shipments will be resuming tomorrow.

jdhuskey
Jul 30, 2004, 10:44 PM
I know for a fact that shipments will be resuming tomorrow.

Hey, how do you know this?

~Shard~
Jul 30, 2004, 10:48 PM

FU Apple. :mad:

Do you always swear at companies you support? If you're pissed off at them, then don't support them and whine here about it - that's called hypocrisy. :p And there's no need to swear in the forums - a little more maturity would be nice... :cool:

mrxak
Jul 31, 2004, 12:04 AM
Did anybody get shipped yesterday?

Duff-Man
Jul 31, 2004, 12:07 AM
Did anybody get shipped yesterday?Duff-Man says...I don't know about actual people ;) , but there were some shipments of Dual 2.5's on friday for sure...oh yeah!

SwitchingSoon
Jul 31, 2004, 12:08 AM
Do you always swear at companies you support? If you're pissed off at them, then don't support them and whine here about it - that's called hypocrisy. :p And there's no need to swear in the forums - a little more maturity would be nice... :cool:

please, its his right to complain. cursing's not right, obviously. But let's not act all high and mighty about it. It's that "you're either with us or against us" mentality. Of course people here support apple, but that doesn't mean we should always give apple a "get out of jail free" card whenever they DO mess up. People here want apple to do better. Is that unnatural?

Duff-Man
Jul 31, 2004, 12:39 AM
please, its his right to complain. cursing's not right, obviously. But let's not act all high and mighty about it. It's that "you're either with us or against us" mentality. Of course people here support apple, but that doesn't mean we should always give apple a "get out of jail free" card whenever they DO mess up. People here want apple to do better. Is that unnatural?Duff-Man says...now, that's a post I can respond to without resorting to cheap come-backs ;) .

I basically agree with what you are saying. Apple should get criticized when *they* mess up but at the same time we have to understand that sometimes Apple is at the mercy of 3rd parties like IBM that make promises and then cannot fulfill them. And that is where I think some people here are getting a little bit too harsh in there rhetoric. Apple did ship a bunch of 2.5's today..in july, as they said they would...did they mess up with the notifications to the customers - yes. But sometimes we are too quick to criticize too - last year when they projected being at 3Ghz in a year that was base on what IBM was telling them yet we give S Jobs all the heat for IBM's failure to deliver - the old "shoot the messenger" syndrome. I've no problem with putting some heat on Apple, but I think some of the messages posted have been way over the line and written in the heat of the moment because it is "their computer" that will arrive in 3 weeks instead of next week. It's a computer people...nothing to raise your blood pressure over....oh yeah!

SwitchingSoon
Jul 31, 2004, 12:44 AM
*sigh* it was joke, and clearly you weren't so innocent yourself.

anyways, for some people this computer is really important. i've already gone over stories of different people, so i'm not going to waste energy typing it again, but you can view the petition where some people told their own personal experience: school, work, selling old computer, etc.

it is "just a computer" in the scheme of things, obviously.... but it's very important in the present for a lot of people. some people have scheduled their plans around that original shipping date.

anyways, i'm done.

OH YEAH! :D

gives
Jul 31, 2004, 01:11 AM
Having not had the dreaded email relating to the further delays I was confident that I would receive an 'order shipped' email sometime today. I am just in from work and an email from Apple was waiting for me. At 12.15pm today, 30th July, they decided that they are not able to ship my order for another 3 weeks. To say I was a little upset would be putting it very mildly. Having calmed down sufficiently I decided to call Apple for an 'order status' update armed with the email confirming my order would ship on the 30th received as a result of a previous call. I acted dumb and was told that my order was currently in production and I would receive an email soon confirming the ship date. I asked when this was likely to be. 20th August was the reply. I informed her of the estimated ship date which is still given on the online status page. She simply read back to me the text from the delay email sent out to customers. I argued the fact that I had been given the 30th as the ship date and that I had an email from Apple telling me that it would ship today. She then told me that the text of the delay email had been handed out to all of the call centre staff at 1pm this afternoon and up until that time her and her colleagues had been giving customers who called the same ship date that has always been giving.

I gave my opinion as to the level of customer service currently provided by Appl on this matter. She could do nothing but agree. I asked for an address to forward a complaint to but she had no idea who, or where, i should send it to.

I am a diehard Mac user. This experience is adding insult to injury as I am the growingly hearing impaired owner of a Dual 1.25ghz G4 windtunnel. I'm not switching to Windows but I will find it difficult to give good reasons to friends and colleagues who may be thinking about switching to Mac. I think Apple should release some official comments on the delays and attempt to compensate the early adopters in some way.

I feel for you man.. I too have a wind tunnel...and in addition,I have an HD Protools system that has 10k worth of HD PCI cards that are in need of a cooler system! I have had several instances while recording, of the G4 shuting down and I have to wait for it to coo down.
I have placed a loud fan to help with this. And yes I thought of an expensive cooling tower..but alas from what I have heard from other studios they can't fit the G5's into them in the racks they are too big or something..

A side bar for everyone to know in case you don't. Apple has moved most of it's support, at least the first level to India. I have first hand knowledge and experience of this..Hey it's all about the market share..right?:)

I ordered from my local Mac store and I bet I get it quicker that most online orders. I am prepaid in cash and am first in line to get one.

G

gives
Jul 31, 2004, 01:13 AM

I spend £6,800 on a new machine, my official 'switch' from PC, and look what happens.

Dear Apple Customer,

as possible, but cannot meet the ship date we previously estimated for you. We now expect to ship your Power Mac on or before September 3rd.

Thanks Apple. I am really impressed with everything so far... not.

Ps: My original ship date was 16th August (UK).

IBM is the bottom line.. They are'nt making the chips fast enough..PC friendly..:)

gives
Jul 31, 2004, 01:23 AM
Don't talk to me about patience. I've been waiting since January for the fabled "speed bump" G5's. Once it hit April it became "may as well wait for the DP3.0" and on 9th June, we had the Bad News that no, actually there is not going to be a DP3.0 "anytime soon" and ordered the DP2.5. Never felt comfortable with the new fangled liquid cooling system anyway. (What if it leaks?? :confused: )

I must have been one of the first people to order a DP2.5, yet still my date gets put back three weeks.

Couple this with multiple problems we have had at work with simple orders taking months, and I'm afraid I just don't trust them any more. It was the last straw.

I strongly suspect I would have got another email the day before the revised ship date telling me it had been put back again. Sorry but I'm not waiting another month just to be let down again. One must draw the line somewhere and this is it. ENOUGH.

Of course now I've bought a DP2.0 I have every faith that Apple will send me another email that my DP2.5 ships on Monday. It seems it's my destiny to get screwed over by them.

I purely want this Mac for CubaseSX2.0 - from what I've been hearing from my peers with similar setups, the DP2.0 if I fill it with RAM should do the job quite nicely.

What is interesting is the DP2.0 I have here seems to be a revised model - I have a DP1.8 at work and the processor cooling looks a little different.

If I had your lack of confidence in the end of things I would be seeing 3 shrinks and jumping off bridges..Relax pal...I am in a worse boat that you and I am surviving..I have a Dual 1.25 GHZ G4 that overheats all the time and shuts down because I have very hot running Protools HD audio cards that are 10k in value.. I am worried that they may burn up. I pulled a HD out and it a least does not shut down now for 2 hrs at a time..
Your having a conversation with yourself and getting nowhere! You seemed to have put all of this on apple when you actually had too many expectations in the first place.. When you build a house or studio, it always takes longer and costs more Right? It's a drag, but that's life. You might need something else to focus your time on besides this rant.:)

Cheers,

G

Skiniftz
Jul 31, 2004, 01:24 AM
Duff-Man says...now, that's a post I can respond to without resorting to cheap come-backs ;) .

I basically agree with what you are saying. Apple should get criticized when *they* mess up but at the same time we have to understand that sometimes Apple is at the mercy of 3rd parties like IBM that make promises and then cannot fulfill them. And that is where I think some people here are getting a little bit too harsh in there rhetoric. Apple did ship a bunch of 2.5's today..in july, as they said they would...did they mess up with the notifications to the customers - yes. But sometimes we are too quick to criticize too - last year when they projected being at 3Ghz in a year that was base on what IBM was telling them yet we give S Jobs all the heat for IBM's failure to deliver - the old "shoot the messenger" syndrome. I've no problem with putting some heat on Apple, but I think some of the messages posted have been way over the line and written in the heat of the moment because it is "their computer" that will arrive in 3 weeks instead of next week. It's a computer people...nothing to raise your blood pressure over....oh yeah!
My issues with this. Firstly, obviously they are dependent on third party suppliers, and this can introduce delays. I'm not arguing about this it's going to happen.

My big big problem with Apple - do you honestly think that they didn't know well in advance of 9th June 04 that there was not going to be a DP3.0? Why could they not have told us this when they knew? Those of us waiting for a new computer could have made our decisions then rather than wait wait wait wait wait wait MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait MORE DISAPPOINTMENT wait wait wait wait wait...

Then we get on to shippping dates. If they cant ship something, they should tell us as soon as possible - not wait until the business day before before telling us.

Honestly my perception (and I must say the purchasing department at work) of Apple from a supply point of view is one of incredible incompetence. I'm reminded of the Sal Wise fiasco for some reason (except I believe Apple will actually ship at some point in the future).

gives
Jul 31, 2004, 01:30 AM

I have a Dual 1.25 GHZ G4 that overheats all the time and shuts down because I have very hot running Protools HD audio cards that are 10k in value.. I am worried that they may burn up. I pulled a HD out and it a least does not shut down now for 2 hrs at a time..I am in PDX as well.
I hear that the tech support for Apple is in India now ..Whoohoo!:)
Cheers,

G

gives
Jul 31, 2004, 01:34 AM

I agree!!!! It's as if these people have never had anything else to deal with in life! They should live mine trying to run a post production studio and be a composer after 911 when there wasn't any work for 6 months! Now that something to complain about! This stuff is just amusing to me:)
I have two films to score and by then the computer will be here and everything will be groovy!

G

Skiniftz
Jul 31, 2004, 02:43 AM
I agree!!!! It's as if these people have never had anything else to deal with in life! They should live mine trying to run a post production studio and be a composer after 911 when there wasn't any work for 6 months! Now that something to complain about! This stuff is just amusing to me:)
I have two films to score and by then the computer will be here and everything will be groovy!

What's worse - complaining on topic about a situation for which one has a legitimate reason to complain, or to spend time complaining about the time people spend complaining?

What gives? ;)

Skiniftz
Jul 31, 2004, 02:45 AM
Actually I'm not complaining any more - I have the DP2.0, it's great. Wish I'd bought it back in Jan 04.

Apple's customer service still sucks though.

SwitchingSoon
Jul 31, 2004, 02:49 AM
They should live mine trying to run a post production studio and be a composer after 911 when there wasn't any work for 6 months! Now that something to complain about!
G

Do you want a cookie?
</joke>

Just in case i get accused of anything :D

Lol skiniftz...

invaLPsion
Jul 31, 2004, 08:24 AM
Hey, how do you know this?

Two guys have called in yesterday and were told that their computers will be shipping within the next 24 hours.

Skiniftz
Jul 31, 2004, 09:08 AM
Two guys have called in yesterday and were told that their computers will be shipping within the next 24 hours.
That's nothing - I was told on 9th June that mine would be shipping on 2nd August.

Then I got "The Email".

LeonPro
Jul 31, 2004, 09:26 AM
2.5DPG5/1GB/250/SD/R9600XT/56K/BT-USA Z0ACQLL/A On or before
08/09/2004 1

Open

Any idea what may have happened? Near as I can tell its the same, but they don't list the AE card on the new part.

Xenious, same here. Have the same order as you plus the AE. On the email they sent to revise my shipment date they explained the line change but assured nothing was changed in the order including the price. We'll see if they messed up with the order. Otherwise its easy to install the AE card anyway if they fail to include it in the initial build.

Xenious
Jul 31, 2004, 01:19 PM
Xenious, same here. Have the same order as you plus the AE. On the email they sent to revise my shipment date they explained the line change but assured nothing was changed in the order including the price. We'll see if they messed up with the order. Otherwise its easy to install the AE card anyway if they fail to include it in the initial build.

Ahhh yes I just read my email a bit closer and saw the piece you mentioned about nothing changing configuration wise. I wonder if instead of a CTO they are modifying a stock 2.5G5 from their warehouse to speed it up?
-jim

wdlove
Jul 31, 2004, 01:46 PM
What's worse - complaining on topic about a situation for which one has a legitimate reason to complain, or to spend time complaining about the time people spend complaining?

What gives? ;)

There are just some that get enjoyment out of complaining. Even if things would they are still looking for something so that they can complain. :D

Lancetx
Jul 31, 2004, 01:54 PM
There are just some that get enjoyment out of complaining. Even if things would they are still looking for something so that they can complain. :D

Funny thing is that those who complained the loudest most likely would have ended up with their Dual 2.5 next week anyway if they just would have had a single ounce of patience. I just read a humorous story on another site of a guy that angrily went out Thursday evening to buy a Dual 2.0 at a local store after receiving the first delay to 8/20 e-mail. He then finds that his 2.5 ended up shipping on Friday afterall before he could even call in to cancel it. Now he's stuck with a 10% restocking fee to return the opened 2.0. :p

jared_kipe
Jul 31, 2004, 02:56 PM
I can't wait to see some good benchmarks from these.

waltsatan
Jul 31, 2004, 02:59 PM
I got the 8/20 bump yesterday, but today I got the "Shipment notification for order" email! Yay! Seems like there's lots of confusion over at apple over these things. My system is:
2.5DPG5/512MB/160/SD/R9600XT/PCI-X-USA

Now I need to go order my extra ram...

gives
Jul 31, 2004, 03:54 PM

What gives? ;)

A life....?:) This is the first time I have even entered into this kind of stuff and look what happens. You know you are absolutely right. I am otta here..

Skiniftz
Jul 31, 2004, 06:26 PM
Was that brought forward from being put backward?

If it is, you know I think we need to invent a new form of mathmatics so I can come up with a smaller number to describe just how low Apple customer service is in my esteem.

No matter now - I'm a DP2.0 guy and that's that.

FYA
Jul 31, 2004, 06:36 PM
Note that is says shipping not delivering, how long does it usually take to arrive once it has shipped ? :confused:

Skiniftz
Jul 31, 2004, 06:42 PM
Note that is says shipping not delivering, how long does it usually take to arrive once it has shipped ? :confused:
If I were you I would concentrate on worrying if it will actually ship on the date you have been told or not.

Xenious
Aug 1, 2004, 12:23 AM
It's nuts but I'm not complaining. First it was on or before 7/30, then on or before 8/20, then on or before 8/9, now it shipped today, 7/31. Whats up with that?? Is there something really wrong with their forecasting systems?

So its coming from "SHENZHEN CN," guess it is somewhere in east Asia. With any luck it will be here Tuesday...hope hope
-jim

W.O.D.
Aug 1, 2004, 01:12 AM
20040730 - Ship date now put back to 20/08/04
20040730 - Had enough; bought DP2.0 off the shelf.
20040802 - Will be CANCELLING DP2.5 order.

Cool! Will more of you folks do the same so I can get mine sooner?? I would be much obliged. :)

papersushi
Aug 1, 2004, 01:23 AM
You know what people? I know you are upset for your delayed order, but please don't take it personally towards Apple Customer Service support center staff or the sales person who sold you the computer on the phone.

Its not their fault, you think they are the ones calling the shots, building your computer? What can they do when they were told there would be an delay and here is the scripts to read to the customers? As a tradition or company policy, apple staff will never be informed any new products launches, product delay notice until they were public released to the public.

Its not your Apple sales rep's fault either, they were quoting exactly estimated ship date what was on the web site. Trust me, they are as frustrated as you are. Their monthly quota and comission will not be counted unless these products are shipped.

So everyone, calm down, you have waited for this long, almost 2 months? What's the big deal about waiting for 3 more weeks?

Skiniftz
Aug 1, 2004, 06:05 AM
It's nuts but I'm not complaining. First it was on or before 7/30, then on or before 8/20, then on or before 8/9, now it shipped today, 7/31. Whats up with that?? Is there something really wrong with their forecasting systems?
I believe the word is "incompetence".

Skiniftz
Aug 1, 2004, 06:13 AM
You know what people? I know you are upset for your delayed order, but please don't take it personally towards Apple Customer Service support center staff or the sales person who sold you the computer on the phone.

Its not their fault, you think they are the ones calling the shots, building your computer? What can they do when they were told there would be an delay and here is the scripts to read to the customers? As a tradition or company policy, apple staff will never be informed any new products launches, product delay notice until they were public released to the public.

Its not your Apple sales rep's fault either, they were quoting exactly estimated ship date what was on the web site. Trust me, they are as frustrated as you are. Their monthly quota and comission will not be counted unless these products are shipped.

So everyone, calm down, you have waited for this long, almost 2 months? What's the big deal about waiting for 3 more weeks?
Nobody is blaming the sale reps personally; my problem is with their customer service - there is a difference.

The reps are only as good as the information they are given by the company. If the company was simply up front about things I dont think people would have much to complain about. For example, if I'd heard back in April "sorry but due to processor manufacturing problems, we cant make a 3GHz machine, but we should have a 2.5" then I could have decided then and there to go and buy an alternative rather than be strung along until the 9th June to hear "no 3GHz" and to order on that day to then find out the 2.5 would not ship until 2nd August (note: this information was NOT supplied until I had ordered), then one business day before find out another delay for three weeks. Bear in mind I've been waiting since January. For me that was the last straw, and I ran out and bought a DP2.0. For all I know I would get another email on 19th August saying "Sorry, but demand has been phenomenal...". You have to draw the line somewhere.

So far things are good - I think the DP2.0 will do the job nicely (run Cubase SX2.0) - I'm very happy wth it, however it's a bit annoying knowing I could have had this system back in January. Have to look on the bright side I suppose in that by waiting at least I saved some money.

Skiniftz
Aug 1, 2004, 06:17 AM
Cool! Will more of you folks do the same so I can get mine sooner?? I would be much obliged. :)
Glad I could help.

relimw
Aug 1, 2004, 02:39 PM
Well that's just silly.
Some people just like to complain about people complaining about people complaining, but who really cares?
Just ignore them. :D

Sorta like people that just ramble on about nothing and that has nothing to do with being on topic, just like these posts :)

Skiniftz
Aug 1, 2004, 04:14 PM
Well that's just silly.
Some people just like to complain about people complaining about people complaining, but who really cares?
Just ignore them. :D

Sorta like people that just ramble on about nothing and that has nothing to do with being on topic, just like these posts :)
What if I complain about people who ramble on about people who complain about people complaining about people complaining?

What if someone complains that I complained?

WHERE DOES IT END??? :eek:

AidenShaw
Aug 1, 2004, 04:36 PM
Haven't seen any "Mine's here" messages yet....

klaus
Aug 1, 2004, 04:39 PM
well, there were a couple shipping confirmations on friday, so the soonest will be monday or tuesday when we will read posts saying "it's here!!!!"

jdhuskey
Aug 1, 2004, 07:27 PM
Haven't seen any "Mine's here" messages yet....

As promised? Only shipping was promised in July, not receiving. Actually though, in another thread, from the original "Dual 2.5GHz PowerMac Shipping" article, TheGimp claims to have received his on Friday.

Is that a Maine Coon?

AidenShaw
Aug 1, 2004, 07:55 PM
As promised? Only shipping was promised in July, not receiving. Actually though, in another thread, from the original "Dual 2.5GHz PowerMac Shipping" article, TheGimp claims to have received his on Friday.

Is that a Maine Coon?

Yes, it's a coon - classic with white. (http://www.blazerscats.com/maine_coons.html)

BTW, the original Apple announcement (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/jun/09powermac.html) said "available in July" - not "shipping". It's a bit of a stretch to say that a box that's been handed over to the shipper in China on the last day of July is "available" in July, no?

I wonder how many have shipped then, assuming the reports of receiving systems are true (some comments in the other thread doubt the veracity of TheGimp's claim). It seems odd that there aren't more reports, if indeed the systems have been shipping.

wdlove
Aug 1, 2004, 08:46 PM
Even though there is some complaining it does help to pass the time. As long as no one gets personal then there is no harm.

whookam
Aug 2, 2004, 02:40 AM
Yes, it's a coon - classic with white. (http://www.blazerscats.com/maine_coons.html)

That's a cool cat. We just got our first Maine Coon on Saturday. He's a Cream and Silver Mackeral Tortie called Bailey. He's a whopper and a little terror. Just 3 months old and already nearly as big as my moggie Ziggy!

They are still pretty rare in the UK.

Whookam

Mr MacNabbit
Aug 2, 2004, 06:00 AM
That's a cool cat. We just got our first Maine Coon on Saturday. He's a Cream and Silver Mackeral Tortie called Bailey. He's a whopper and a little terror. Just 3 months old and already nearly as big as my moggie Ziggy!

They are still pretty rare in the UK.

Whookam

Funnily enough, a good pal of mine lost his Maine Coon in the Crouch End area of London, and it was the size of a large fox! :) - We hope that he found new owners easily! :/

klaus
Aug 2, 2004, 06:01 AM
sorry, but what is a Maine Coon? :confused: :rolleyes:

Mr MacNabbit
Aug 2, 2004, 07:13 AM
A large domestic cat from the US. :)

rob118
Aug 2, 2004, 07:46 AM
My order status still says " On or before 30/07/2004"
They cant be bothered to update it it seems
I got an email though saying it would be august 20.
Shipping my last order from Ireland to Holland took em 16 days last time, so it don't expect my 2.5 to arrive before 2nd week of september :(

klaus
Aug 2, 2004, 07:50 AM
rob, their online order status system is a little screwed up, several apple reps on the phone already pointed out not to go by that, to just read the emails, so yours is 08/20..

rob118
Aug 2, 2004, 07:58 AM
seems that everytime i order something something's "screwed up"

whookam
Aug 2, 2004, 08:23 AM
Funnily enough, a good pal of mine lost his Maine Coon in the Crouch End area of London, and it was the size of a large fox! :) - We hope that he found new owners easily! :/

lol, that's a coincedence, I actually live in Crouch End. I can promise you we haven't nicked your friends cat. ;) He's only a little kitten.

tonybinak
Aug 2, 2004, 09:06 AM
Nobody is blaming the sale reps personally; my problem is with their customer service - there is a difference.

The reps are only as good as the information they are given by the company. If the company was simply up front about things I dont think people would have much to complain about. For example, if I'd heard back in April "sorry but due to processor manufacturing problems, we cant make a 3GHz machine, but we should have a 2.5" then I could have decided then and there to go and buy an alternative rather than be strung along until the 9th June to hear "no 3GHz" and to order on that day to then find out the 2.5 would not ship until 2nd August (note: this information was NOT supplied until I had ordered), then one business day before find out another delay for three weeks. Bear in mind I've been waiting since January. For me that was the last straw, and I ran out and bought a DP2.0. For all I know I would get another email on 19th August saying "Sorry, but demand has been phenomenal...". You have to draw the line somewhere.

So far things are good - I think the DP2.0 will do the job nicely (run Cubase SX2.0) - I'm very happy wth it, however it's a bit annoying knowing I could have had this system back in January. Have to look on the bright side I suppose in that by waiting at least I saved some money.

If only there were more like this one my order might move up from Aug. 20th to the 2nd.

thedogcow
Aug 2, 2004, 09:18 AM
Most of you are lucky... My shipping day is on or before 9/13. I bought my hardware thru the the Apple Developer Connection student program.

I got my 23" display today, although its a moot point because I can't use it right now. The 23" display is not compatible with my ATI Rage 128 card in my G4 400 machine. Just goes to show you how obsolete my current machine is.

I also upgraded from the 9800 XT to the NVIDIA 6800. Changing those cards did not affect the ship date. But I'm taking this with a grain of salt. Also, I knew this was going to happen and is not really a surprise so I am not hugely upset.

I just can't wait to go from a 400MHz / 100MHz Bus to a *dual* 2.5GHz / 1250MHz bus. Probably going to get a whiplash!

mactarkus
Aug 2, 2004, 09:38 AM
I took the day off from work today so I could be here when the FedEx guy arrives with my 23" Cinema Display. It was reported out for delivery on 31 July. Since that was a Saturday, I'm guessing today's the day. I'll give my impressions when it shows today -- fingers crossed.

I'm still showing end of August for my Dual 2.5GHz G5/6800. I ordered it about an hour after Steve (get well Steve!) announced the 6800 option.

wdlove
Aug 2, 2004, 03:25 PM
I took the day off from work today so I could be here when the FedEx guy arrives with my 23" Cinema Display. It was reported out for delivery on 31 July. Since that was a Saturday, I'm guessing today's the day. I'll give my impressions when it shows today -- fingers crossed.

I'm still showing end of August for my Dual 2.5GHz G5/6800. I ordered it about an hour after Steve (get well Steve!) announced the 6800 option.

I certainly hope that your delivery will be arriving very soon. Looking forward to hear about your opinions.

I was also surprised to learn that the dual 2.5 is built in China.

mactarkus
Aug 2, 2004, 04:15 PM
It's too bad I don't have my Dual 2.5GHz/6800 here to use with the new display. I waited around all day and around 230pm the FedEx guy arrived. He said it's the first time anybody has been home when he delivered a package to my address. I said that's true, but given his precious cargo today, I made sure to be home. He said a guy he works with made a comment about how the address on my package was wrong and pretended to write his address down instead. I guess the bold packaging of these displays attracts a lot of attention -- another good reason to intercept it from my doorstep before someone else does.

The packaging:

- Extremely well done in typical Apple fashion. Even the thin foam sleeve is custom-cut for the display. There's the display, the power brick and cord, documentation, and a handy cloth for wiping down the screen.

Setup and Impressions:

Setup was a breeze. I plugged it into my HP Athlon 3k/nVidia 5900SE for starters. It came right up and the card supported the 1920x1200 resolution. I then ran a few games to check for widescreen support - Far Cry, Call of Duty, Battlefield 1942/Vietnam, UT2k4. All of them checked out. The HP is my $600 PC gaming machine -- forgive me!

Next was my Blue & White G3-800MHz/1GB with an ATI7000. Again, no problems -- I'm typing this now at the glorious 1920x1200 setting. This B&W is my iTunes server as my iMac G4-800 is my primary machine until the G5 arrives. I ran Pixel Tester and after much searching, located a single dead pixel. At the distance I sit from the display, it's not detectable by the naked eye. It shows itself only if you lean forward to within two feet and stare at the spot. Now I'll be able to "spot" mine in a line-up.

[After trying the massaging a dead pixel technique, I found out that dead pixel was in fact a speck of something! So I sit corrected. This display is flawless!!!!! My apologies to Apple.]

I'm attempting an attachment showing the display. It's showing Far Cry running at 1920x1200. It looks amazing, but too bad the PC won't push the pixels fast enough to make it playable at this setting.

macetaria
Aug 3, 2004, 03:26 AM
I ordered my dual G5 at my local dealer here in belgium, same day as they were available. Just called them, they told me I have to wait till the end of august...
I have no idea who will get the machines first, but it looks like its for the american apple-store sellers.

klaus
Aug 3, 2004, 03:34 AM
macetaria, I ordered from a reseller as well here in Belgium, from ITPro in Gent, they're an official apple center, but they didn't have any more info about when they expect them to deliver, I ordered june 13th, it's completely stock.

I'm gonna mail them again later this week, if they have more info or not, it's been at LEAST a week since I last mailed them :D

JW Pepper
Aug 3, 2004, 08:01 AM
Ordered 10th June UK Apple store, web still says 30th July or before. Called the Apple store they have told me it should ship before 20th August, somehow I am not sure I believe them.

Xenious
Aug 3, 2004, 08:50 AM
Is fedex now even our 2.5 acquisition delivery enemy? My G5 has been sitting in China for days...

Date/Time Status Location Comments

Aug 3, 2004 8:05 pm Package status SHENZHEN CN
Aug 2, 2004 5:57 pm Package status SHENZHEN CN Package in FedEx location
4:19 pm Package status SHENZHEN CN Package in FedEx location
Jul 31, 2004 10:31 pm Pickup status SHENZHEN CN Future pickup/delivery requested

klaus
Aug 3, 2004, 08:55 AM
yes, that's weird, another guy at this forum posted his fedex tracking link, and it says the same, at the same time more or less. What about the guy who posted a plane landed with 500 g5 boxes in fedexs' Memphis Hub??

AidenShaw
Aug 3, 2004, 08:57 AM
Is fedex now even our 2.5 acquisition delivery enemy? My G5 has been sitting in China for days...

Maybe they're doing final assembly at the FedEx facility?

Just as soon as some PPC970 chips that can be clocked to 2.5 arrive from Fishkill they'll rush over to FedEx, stick them in, seal the box, and it starts to move.

'Til then, it's just a ruse to tease you and keep you from cancelling the order....

Or maybe FedEx wants to know why anti-freeze is leaking out of your box? ;)

thedogcow
Aug 3, 2004, 08:57 AM
The 9/13 date was a glitch. Your ADC order should show 8/20.

Moof!

Lancetx
Aug 3, 2004, 09:00 AM
yes, that's weird, another guy at this forum posted his fedex tracking link, and it says the same, at the same time more or less. What about the guy who posted a plane landed with 500 g5 boxes in fedexs' Memphis Hub??

FedEx is notorious for doing a lousy job of updating the tracking information on their website. I've literally had deliveries come when their tracking said my package was still several states away just a couple of hours before hand! Therefore I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what their website tracking says, it can be up to 24 hours behind from what I've seen.

MacityMike
Aug 3, 2004, 10:38 AM
I've had it, I ordered my 2.5 in mid June (first couple of days of announcement) all I added was 9800 and BT. The shipping date was 7/30 for the longest time. It's an edu purchase and now they're telling me 9/13. Somebody explain that to me? Is is 'cause I'm in Canada?

iriejedi
Aug 3, 2004, 10:38 AM
I second that - my monitor was scheduled for 28th arrived the 29th and even after signing for it - it was still 'intransit' dated the 28th.....

Fed Ex is not quite the real time specialists.

FedEx is notorious for doing a lousy job of updating the tracking information on their website. I've literally had deliveries come when their tracking said my package was still several states away just a couple of hours before hand! Therefore I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what their website tracking says, it can be up to 24 hours behind from what I've seen.

Ricebucket
Aug 3, 2004, 12:50 PM
The 9/13 date was a glitch. Your ADC order should show 8/20.

Moof!

Where did you hear this information?

Nachodog
Aug 3, 2004, 01:15 PM
I just talked to a friend who is a pilot for Fed-Ex and here is what he found-out after logging in to Fed-Ex from home.

There is one flight from SHENZHEN CN a day.
It is approximately an 8 hr flight to US
SHENZHEN CN. is 13 hrs ahead of central US time.
Today at 1:00 PM Central US time, Aug. 3 / it is 2:00AM Aug. 4 in SHENZHEN
The Fed-Ex flight left China at 8:23 PM Aug 3 SHENZHEN time.
as I type this (1:00 pm Central) the plane has been in-flight 5.5 hrs.
The plain is scheduled to land in Memphis about 4:00 PM today.

Here is some other info from his experience.
-Daily international routes are more frequently changed and canceled if the plane is not full enough. (looking at hotwire132002's tracking info it looks like the plane didn't leave on monday the 2nd.)
-Packages are generally scanned as they are unloaded, but pallets of packages from the same shipper my be scanned when separated.
-The accuracy of there real time tracking info is considered the best.
-There are some daytime flights, but the vast majority are at night, the main package sort is afternoon for that nights flights.

I think some people will see there 2.5 tomorrow...

wdlove
Aug 3, 2004, 01:25 PM
I just talked to a friend who is a pilot for Fed-Ex and here is what he found-out after logging in to Fed-Ex from home.

There is one flight from SHENZHEN CN a day.
It is approximately an 8 hr flight to US
SHENZHEN CN. is 13 hrs ahead of central US time.
Today at 1:00 PM Central US time, Aug. 3 / it is 2:00AM Aug. 4 in SHENZHEN
The Fed-Ex flight left China at 8:23 PM Aug 3 SHENZHEN time.
as I type this (1:00 pm Central) the plane has been in-flight 5.5 hrs.
The plain is scheduled to land in Memphis about 4:00 PM today.

I think some people will see there 2.5 tomorrow...

Did your friend get actual confirmation that 2.5 G5's are actually on the plane manifest?

Xenious
Aug 3, 2004, 01:35 PM
Here is some other info from his experience.
-Daily international routes are more frequently changed and canceled if the plane is not full enough. (looking at hotwire132002's tracking info it looks like the plane didn't leave on monday the 2nd.)

thanks for the insider info. Sounds like it may be time to ask for a shipping refund from Apple for lack of 2 day delivery. Will have to see when it arrives on my doorstep.

What does fedex classify as two day these days?

fowler.
Aug 3, 2004, 02:04 PM
Two day doesn't necissarily mean "two days" in terms of international shipping. I believe that their shipping commitment is around 3 days for something like that.

This coming from a FedEx/Kinko's employee who just endured 8 hours of shatty fedex training... with which I didn't pay much attention to.

LeonPro
Aug 3, 2004, 02:49 PM

Thanks, Nachodog...that really helps.

aussiemac86
Aug 3, 2004, 07:32 PM
If they are coming out of China, then they should arrive down here around the same time, if not before they arrive in the US, right? Unless apple does some of this U.S. favouritism stuff again.....hurry up

AidenShaw
Aug 3, 2004, 09:56 PM
If they are coming out of China, then they should arrive down here around the same time, if not before they arrive in the US, right? Unless apple does some of this U.S. favouritism stuff again.....hurry up

Don't the China shipments go to Alaska for U.S. Customs delays? Then they're sent to Tennessee, and then sent to the final addressee from Memphis....

I seem to recall that some of the PowerBook shipments sat in Anchorage for days because of paperwork that wasn't in order.

Eastend
Aug 3, 2004, 11:24 PM
Two day doesn't necissarily mean "two days" in terms of international shipping. I believe that their shipping commitment is around 3 days for something like that.

This coming from a FedEx/Kinko's employee who just endured 8 hours of shatty fedex training... with which I didn't pay much attention to.

As Someone who deals with International shipments all the time I can personally tell Two day just means to the Airport after that is customs, etc. I do wish somebody would get one of these things so we can all see if they have any problems or just how they run. I want one too.

Brian :confused: http://forums.macrumors.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=966057#

Xenious
Aug 4, 2004, 09:08 AM
Well mine finally changed and I have a delivery date of by 10:30a tomorrow (aug 5). I'm still a bit annoyed that it seemed to have sit on the ground in China for 3 days. Mine left the ramp at 8:15p local time to SHENZHEN. Don't know if anyone elses will be in the same boat (or technically the same plane ;) ).
-jim

GeckoHD
Aug 4, 2004, 09:39 AM
Been on the phone to Apple UK. He confirmed the G5 BTO are built in Cork, Ireland, and shipped direct. Although I had an email on Friday to tell me my order date had been put back to September 6th, he said ignore that and said my previous shipping date (Aug 16th) remains correct.

Here in the UK they ship orders as a whole, so they are holding back my two 23" screens until the G5 is ready.

klaus
Aug 4, 2004, 09:42 AM
But how come all the fedex trackers say it's coming through china?????
Did you mention that to him?

macetaria
Aug 4, 2004, 10:02 AM
china is far far away, nobody knows the language or knows anyone there, maybe just a sleek move from apple to distract us from the facts: they did not make their promised computers fast enough :D

GeckoHD
Aug 4, 2004, 11:47 AM
Pretty sure it's just UK (or perhaps Europe) orders that are built in Cork.

iAm
Aug 4, 2004, 11:54 AM
Well folks, I've gone from excited, to thrilled, to worried, to unhappy, to happy, to excited, to pissed off.

I ordered a stock 2.5 and like many of you I finally got the word that it was sent on the 30th. I even spoke to FedEx yesterday (Aug 3rd) and was told that I'd receive my package today (Aug 4th). Called FedEx again today after a no-show and was told that the package left YESTERDAY and that I wouldn't receive it until MONDAY.
This isn't a toy. It's not something extra. It's a tool and a major part of my business.
I made plans based on expectations set by both Apple and FedEx.
Now I have to try to find alternate means of executing my current projects.
Mind you, I have a couple of days and I didn't make these plans until I was TOLD a hard delivery date. Of course all of that means nothing now.
It's just VERY frustrating.

- iAm Pissed Off

klaus
Aug 4, 2004, 11:58 AM
china is far far away

Is that close to the kingdom where shrek and donkey were going? :D

LeonPro
Aug 4, 2004, 12:03 PM
Most of you guys are in the other thread. But I suggest the rest head on to the similar thread where a fellow macrumors forum member has received his G5 this morning and has posted pictures (and a review soon) online.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=967602#post967602

wdlove
Aug 4, 2004, 01:42 PM
So far no real news about a G5 delivery yet either. This thread probably should be closed. No real need for duplication.

zedwards
Aug 8, 2004, 10:40 PM
Er well, that was way back on thurs, and its sunday night, and its waiting for me at work! It was in china forever and the suddenly it was in chicago. This was a CTO btw.

EDIT:

Here is my xbench (http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/merge.xhtml?doc1=74214) score...it's disk read/write speed is sooo slow, but everything else flies!

Xircom
Aug 14, 2004, 01:11 AM
Hopefully they're able to ship it here, before they announce the newer model :p

GeckoHD
Aug 14, 2004, 06:15 AM
Add your order info to:

http://powermacs.plasticated.com

~Shard~
Aug 14, 2004, 10:07 AM
Hopefully they're able to ship it here, before they announce the newer model :p

In a way, this is what happened when the G5 PowerMacs were initially announced last year. Some people didn't reeieve their machines until November or so, and then in December I believe it was, Apple released the DP 1.8 G5 PowerMacs and there was quite a bit of fuss about it!

wdlove
Aug 14, 2004, 03:14 PM
In a way, this is what happened when the G5 PowerMacs were initially announced last year. Some people didn't receive their machines until November or so, and then in December I believe it was, Apple released the DP 1.8 G5 PowerMacs and there was quite a bit of fuss about it!

Hopefully Apple has learned their lesson from last years experience. Will probably just await till MWSF, especially if its a major change.

Counterfit
Sep 9, 2004, 10:38 PM
I realize that this is rather late, but in the latest Apple eNews, Any Macintosh computer shipping with Mac OS X 10.3.4 or later (including the new iMac G5) comes with a new version of Setup Assistant that includes a migration utility you can use to easily transfer data from the Mac you’ve been using to the one you just purchased. So it's no longer included only on the G5 machines, but on any new Mac.

wdlove
Sep 10, 2004, 11:35 AM
I realize that this is rather late, but in the latest Apple eNews, So it's no longer included only on the G5 machines, but on any new Mac.

I would expect no less from Apple. In my case would prefer to have a Mac Genius cleanup some issues on my G4 prior to transferring data.

losackmd
Sep 11, 2004, 03:52 PM
where the heck is the 2.5GHZ
i got money in my hand
all set to spend
its been promised since july
it aint here in manhatten yet

what gives

gl

millercdusa
Oct 13, 2004, 03:07 PM
where the heck is the 2.5GHZ
i got money in my hand
all set to spend
its been promised since july
it aint here in manhatten yet

what gives

gl

I just received my new 2.5ghz Mac, ordered JUNE 10, received September 30th. Actually this is a replacement for a defective 2.0ghz that had fans stuck on high when received, and Apple nicely offered to upgrade. Only the time estimate of "July" was grossly inadequate.

Apple unfortunately is exibiting common behavior for very large, slow moving, monopolistic entities. Love the products though. Actually, I need the CPU and disk speed (software developer), but I don't need the massive and heavy case. No choice though, if I want the fastest. At least it is quiet.
:rolleyes:

losackmd
Oct 13, 2004, 03:22 PM
ive seen cons re the unit, that it is too large
arent all the G5's the same size
could you tell me the measurements of your 2.5 if it wouldnt be too much
fuss
i gotta make room if its bigger than my present G5 1.8 single processor

thanks

kornyboy
Oct 13, 2004, 04:26 PM
fuss

thanks

As Far as I know they are all the same size. They are quite a bit larger than the powermac G4s though. You should be fine fitting it in the same space as the single 1.8. Go to the following link and go down the the bottom right of the page for dimensions:

http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html

Hope that helps.

kornyboy

millercdusa
Oct 20, 2004, 09:21 AM
fuss

thanks

All of the G5s are the same size, from what I've seen. I'm just comparing the size to the smaller and lighter G3 and G4s, which are big to begin with. It makes sense for Apple to supply at least one system with a large case, but for my purposes, I want fast and small and quiet. For example, I have a liquid-cooled Shuttle system (http://us.shuttle.com/) at home that is more my style, since I am a triple platform user and software engineeer (Mac/Win/Linux).

wdlove
Oct 20, 2004, 01:36 PM
could you tell me the measurements of your 2.5 if it wouldn't be too much
fuss

thanks

I agree all the G5 Power Mac Models are the same. Apple is just making efficient use is the interior space. The space is needed for proper cooling.

routine404
Oct 23, 2004, 02:43 PM
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, though I've been reading it for the last few weeks since ordering a G5 2.5Ghz machine in the UK. The sales rep said 3 weeks wait, and his co-workers erupted with laughter:

"Haha, not a chance mate!

"Oooh, look at those lovely 2.0Ghz machines though - they're in stock, and ready to go..."

"2.0 - take it home today"

"2.5 - Christmas..."

Since then I've been looking for any signs of people in the same boat as I. It seems this is the thread I've been looking for...

So, has anyone else ordered a G5 in the last couple of weeks, from a reseller such as Cancom, and not had a straight answer from the rep?

Thanks,

r404

Motlow
Oct 24, 2004, 08:03 AM
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, though I've been reading it for the last few weeks since ordering a G5 2.5Ghz machine in the UK. The sales rep said 3 weeks wait, and his co-workers erupted with laughter:

"Oooh, look at those lovely 2.0Ghz machines though - they're in stock, and ready to go..."

"2.5 - Christmas..."

Since then I've been looking for any signs of people in the same boat as I. It seems this is the thread I've been looking for...

So, has anyone else ordered a G5 in the last couple of weeks, from a reseller such as Cancom, and not had a straight answer from the rep?

Thanks,

r404

Hi,
You're not going to like this, I ordered a stock 2.5 from Cancom back at the end of June (4!!! months ago), still no news on it.
It's pointless asking them when it's going to arrive as Apple don't tell them anything.

The lesson to learn here, for ordering newly released machines, is to order a BTO direct from Apple.

Good luck!

routine404
Oct 24, 2004, 08:39 AM
Crap.

Mine was a BTO actually - the guy at the shop did say that BTO's seemed to come through earlier for some reason. How absurd.

Let me know if and when you receive yours..

4 months! Do you have any hair left?

r404

TiWarrior
Oct 24, 2004, 12:45 PM
Hello,

"2.5 - Christmas..."

Thanks,

r404

Ordered mine from Apple 5/10/2004. Was told 3-5 weeks for 2.5GHz, stock RAM & 9800.

Fingers crossed it arrives closer to the 3 than 5 week estimate. ;)

TiWarrior

wdlove
Oct 24, 2004, 05:06 PM
Ordered mine from Apple 5/10/2004. Was told 3-5 weeks for 2.5GHz, stock RAM & 9800.

TiWarrior

It does seem that the wait for the new 2.5 G5 is about 3 - 5 weeks. Take heart that is much better than the wait that the guys that ordered in June, initial release. They ended up waiting for months. That is why these threads were started. The log jam seems to be finally broken.

routine404
Oct 24, 2004, 06:01 PM

TiWarrior

Would you mind posting back to the forum when your machine arrives? If I can't get excited about when mine is to arrive, I can at least share in your excitement!

Cheers,

r404

TiWarrior
Oct 25, 2004, 07:04 AM
Would you mind posting back to the forum when your machine arrives? If I can't get excited about when mine is to arrive, I can at least share in your excitement!

Cheers,

r404

Certainly m8. :)

TiWarrior
Nov 6, 2004, 03:13 AM
TNT finally arrived yesterday :)

Althought I haven't had chance to put this thing through it's paces yet, it feels much faster than my 1.25 G4 duel.

TiWarrior

routine404
Nov 6, 2004, 03:02 PM
TNT finally arrived yesterday :)

Althought I haven't had chance to put this thing through it's paces yet, it feels much faster than my 1.25 G4 duel.

TiWarrior

oh my.

Still no word from my reseller :(

Anyone else received theirs from a reseller yet?

r404

chucksmac
Nov 6, 2004, 11:07 PM
I just dropped off my 2.5 for thermal runaway issues. It seem this is a growing problem in these machines and might have something to do with the delay of shipping. The repair shop said the parts to fix the problem are on backorder. This is just a hunch based of info gathered online.

C.

wdlove
Nov 7, 2004, 01:59 PM

Cheers,

r404

That is why we are all here. A community to support those that are waiting. Also to share in the excitement of the new arrival.

TiWarrior
Nov 8, 2004, 07:38 AM
oh my.

Still no word from my reseller :(

Anyone else received theirs from a reseller yet?

r404

However unfair it it, Apple seems to be delaying shipments to resellers until they get their own orders sorted. I guess they make more money that way!

I would have normally ordered from a reseller. However, I got the feeling the order would arrive quicker going direct (and I got a nice discount) :)

I'm not sure if resellers get them direct from Apple or through Ingram. On checking with a friend who has access to the Ingram stock levels, they have no mention of 2.5GHz G5, just 1.8 and 2GHz. Maybe that's another indication of what's in the supply channels?

TiWarrior

wdlove
Nov 8, 2004, 10:38 AM
However unfair it it, Apple seems to be delaying shipments to resellers until they get their own orders sorted. I guess they make more money that way!

I would have normally ordered from a reseller. However, I got the feeling the order would arrive quicker going direct (and I got a nice discount) :)

TiWarrior

What kind of discount did you receive? What is the expected delivery for your G5? Apple definitely has had a problem with shipping, so it is really hard to know about shipping policies.

RAS admin
Nov 8, 2004, 02:51 PM
I got so fed up with waiting that I just ordered a 2.5 refurb from the Apple Store online. I got a couple hundred off retail, upgraded to Priority Overnight shipping, 1GB RAM (even though the invoice says stock 512), and 250GB SATA drive (even though the invoice says stock 160GB). I also got the 30" Apple Cinema Display with Apple Care Protection. I later got a call from my reseller asking why I had cancelled my order.... "really?"... "how did you already get one?"... "we are first in line".... "blah, blah, blah"... they were pretty bummed to lose a $7k sale.
Anyway, check out the refurbs online. I haven't had any problems with mine and I received it quicker, cheaper, and with some extras! :D

dm000
Nov 8, 2004, 02:54 PM
For those of you tracking other's shipments in anticipation of yours, here is my info:

Ordered: 11 October 2004
Original/Current ship on or before date: 17 November 2004
Received shipment notice: 8 November 2004
Ordered from: Boulder, Colorado (ship to same) via Web order

Ordered via ADC/Apple Store (Apple Developer Connection)

> Processor 065-4803 2.5GHz PowerPC G5
> Memory 065-4933 512 MB DDR400 (PC3200)-2X256
> Hard Drive 065-4982 250GB Serial ATA-7200rpm
> Optical Drive 065-4928 8x Super Drive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
> Graphic Support 065-5128 NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL
> Gigabit Ethernet PCI 065-5080 None
> Fibre Chl PCI 065-4491 None
> Modem 065-5168 56k V.92 Modem
> BlueTooth 065-4985 Bluetooth Module
> Airport 065-1899 None
> Keyboard Language 065-4923 Apple Keyboard & Mouse
> Mac OS Language 065-4897 Mac OS X
> Server Mac OS Language 065-4494 None
> Custom SW I 065-4683 None
> Custom SW II 065-4681 None
> Country Kit 065-4894 Country Kit

I hope that the system "restore" and HW Test discs come with a version bootable with the 6800 card installed. I hope that the "current/recent" delay may have been due to Apple's desire to get updated drivers/OS version installed to avoid some of the reported problems.

routine404
Nov 9, 2004, 10:54 AM
I've heard from my local supplier that their backlog of 16+ orders of 2.5 machines have started to come through. Mine is somewhere near the back end of that list...

I can't waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait.

r404

TiWarrior
Nov 9, 2004, 01:03 PM
What kind of discount did you receive? What is the expected delivery for your G5? Apple definitely has had a problem with shipping, so it is really hard to know about shipping policies.

I recieved the education discount m8.

The expected delivery date was 9th November (3-5 weeks from order). The machine arrived on the 5th.

Talking of Apples shipping problems....I ordered an iPod Mini last week as the website AND Apple's sales rep told me it would be sent out within 24 hours. Received an email a couple of days ago saying it's going to be delayed until the 11th. Fair enough I suppose, but why does the website still say 24 hour despatch? :confused:

TiWarrior