PDA

View Full Version : The three questions of life

Awimoway
Jul 29, 2004, 06:39 AM
These are the vital questions of life

The first question of life
Do you have something between you and your wife/husband/significant other/best friend/parent/sibling/child/etc. that you both know about but cannot ever bring up, and no fair saying yes or no unless you tell us something about it (you don't have to tell us all of it, if discretion is important.) I'm not talking secrets. I'm talking things you both agree to not talk about because it causes a war.

For example, one of mine is easy. I can't talk politics with my Dad. He can't handle it. He claims that those who aren't of his philosophy are biased and those of his political persuasion are all objective and honest. And since I am on the other side of the rail, I can't even speak my honest political opinions without royally pissing him off because it's all lies to him. So I just don't talk when he brings up politics.

Another example is game 7 of Lakers-Kings a couple years ago in the Western Conference championship. I hate the Lakers so bad and their fixed, rigged game 7 victory that I want to punch my Laker-loving best friend's smile right off his face when the subject of that game comes up. Other than that, we're thick as thieves. Just don't bring up the Lakers. It's me who's too sensitive in that situation. So whenever the Lakers comes up and leads to that game (which it often does), I have tell him to drop the subject or there will be trouble.

The second question of life
This one is far more important. On the rare chance you find yourself in a cornfield, or imagine yourself purely for academic purposes of course in a cornfield, which movie first comes to your mind?

1. You're Cary Grant and you're getting chased by a murderous conspiracy, leading you to, of all places, a Dakota cornfield. Then, suddenly, you get buzzed by a crop duster that sprays speeding bullets right at you.
2. You're Mel Gibson and you're scared ****less because you keep hearing whispering in the cornfields and the next step will land you in a mysteriously empty, round crop circle.
3. You're Kevin Costner and you're fixing a sprinkler or something in the middle of your cornfield and you hear a voice telling you to build "it." Or, better yet, you're the ghost of a Chicago Black Sox player and just before you disappear into the corn, you turn and say "I'm melting, I'm melting!" and then laugh like a lunkhead.
4. You're Mulder or Scully or whatever and you're running from bees or aliens or something. I can't remember. I only watched that movie once.
5. You're one of the creepy kids in Children of the Corn. Actually, I've never seen any of that movie. I just know it exists. I don't even know if it has creepy kids. Or, for that matter, a field of corn. But you still might think of it, so it stays on the list.

The third question of life
Oh, and the third question is whether there are any other movies with cornfield scenes that you can think of? I might have thought of one. It seems like early in Close Encounters the kid who runs out of his house and away from his mommy in the middle of the night eventually disappears into a cornfield.

Does Twister have any cornfield scenes? Would a better question be how many movies take place in the rural Midwest? Handicapper: How many movies set in the Midwest can you think of that don't have Kevin Costner in them? And I mean besides Wizard of Oz and The Straight Story because I already thought of them. Oz has cornfields, even, but Dorothy doesn't run through any, so it doesn't make the most honored list. Super-Duper handicapper: How many movies can you think of with cornfield scenes that do not take place in the N. American Midwest?

Littleodie914
Jul 29, 2004, 08:03 AM
What's this post for again? :confused:

krimson
Jul 29, 2004, 08:16 AM
what the hell did my friend give you? LOL!!!

1. No, im pretty blunt, and very open minded.
2. Children of the Corn
3. Children of the Corn.

:D

jefhatfield
Jul 29, 2004, 02:28 PM
tough topics:

i bring up religion with my religious and non religious friends...my christianity does not mesh with my atheist friend's point of view...though he is starting to like his wife's unity church which does not seem to condemn his non belief

liberal chistians dislike my ties to inter-varsity christian fellowship, the navigators, campus crusade for christ, and the calvary church bible college

conservative christians dislike my being a democrat, being anti-george bush, anti-christian coalition, and my stating christians like billy graham and jimmy carter, who are christians in every sense are, he he, democrats

politics is something i bring up and the ultra liberal and ultra conservative types get angry when i question them about their "sources" and all they can come up with are drug addicts, flip-floppers, college dropouts, and stand up comedians...i tend to listen to moderate political commentators with education, experience in government, and being in the habit of having two sources for every major fact that they proclaim

cornfields...it is hard to get the cornfield image of crop circles and scary aliens out of my head ;)

kgarner
Jul 29, 2004, 03:32 PM
Growing up on a farm I had numerous occasions to find myself in a cornfield, but oddly I never associated it with a movie. Probably it's because to me it is quite ordinary to stand in a cornfield. On a tangential note, if you ever have to wirk int the middle of a cornfield on summer day, make sure you have some water. It is hot as Hell in those fields!

Doctor Q
Jul 29, 2004, 03:40 PM
1. I can't talk about my volunteer work with certain people I know because they think it's silly to volunteer when you could do something you get paid for.

2. I thought of Children of the Corn. Not the greatest movie ever, but creepy things stick in your brain.

3. The series opener for the Smallville TV show had Clark Kent in a corn field. That's not a movie, but they did a lot of billboard ads when the series was new, so it's likely many people have seen the scenes.

krimson
Jul 29, 2004, 03:45 PM
i dont think i'd want to be in the middle of a cornfield now that i think of it.. i just pulled up a bunch of stalks from my garden, and i have cuts all over my arms.

Awimoway, you sadist! :)

Awimoway
Jul 30, 2004, 01:34 PM
what the hell did my friend give you? LOL!!!

:D

FriarCrazy
Jul 30, 2004, 01:38 PM
I feel a sudden urge to surround myself by glasses of water and hang a baseball bat up in my cube...

themadchemist
Jul 30, 2004, 05:09 PM
Wow, this is a random thread Awimoway...My head is spinning from confusion...I'll answer when I recover...Maybe.

parrothead
Jul 30, 2004, 07:01 PM
1. Around my family I never use swear words. Also, talking politics with my dad is forbidden territory.

2. the first thing in my mind is that I am on my Father in law's farm in Iowa.

3. Twister does have scenes with corn fields in them.

kerb
Jul 30, 2004, 09:21 PM
1. nope, not a single thing i won't raise except the obvious things like discussing my sex life with my parents

2. I thought of Signs. Never seen it nor do I want to.

2. Gladiator has that great cornfield scene where he is brushing his fingers over it.

parrothead
Jul 30, 2004, 09:26 PM
2. Gladiator has that great cornfield scene where he is brushing his fingers over it.

That was a great scene, however that was a wheat field he was in. ;)

agreenster
Jul 30, 2004, 11:34 PM
1) Religion. Too many people in my life have it, I've had it with it
2) I dont think of a movie, I think of my in-law's house. It is kind of scary in the late summer when their ENTIRE property is surrounded by corn. It gets creepy at night.
3) Twister DOES have a cornfield scene. The end when they jump out of the truck that is driving straight into the twister, they are driving through/jumping into a cornfield.

I live in Indiana. Cornfields EVERYWHERE.

Just ask Mr. Anderson about it...

MacFan26
Jul 31, 2004, 05:08 AM
1. I think it would be tough to have major religious/political differences between loved ones and family, but my immediate family generally has the same views, and I'm not married, so I guess I can't speak much for that.

2. I'm a big fan of North by Northwest, so I'd probably say Cary Grant, lol. About Signs, crop signs were mostly made from wheat fields, but Shyamalan used corn fields to make it seem more "supernatural." (sorry, I was actually thinking about it having just seen The Village :rolleyes: )

3. I love Twister, even though everyone always complains about the special effects, I thought there were enough good parts to make up for it. I'm also a big Michael Crichton fan, so I guess that makes me prone to liking it.

That was a great scene, however that was a wheat field he was in. ;)
I'm a big fan of that movie (if you couldn't tell from my avatar :rolleyes: :D)

edit: stupid mistake

brap
Jul 31, 2004, 05:27 AM
These are the vital questions of life

The first question of life
Do you have something between you and your significant other...
Christianity. She still goes to church sometimes and it makes my skin crawl; I've been very much against organised religion of this type since I had an encounter with a certain priest (or something, whatever the ****** she was) in the hospice with my grandmother. I believe there is so much, and on so many levels wrong with organised Christianity nowadays I can't hold a conversation without having to leave the room.
The second question of life
This one is far more important. On the rare chance you find yourself in a cornfield, or imagine yourself purely for academic purposes of course in a cornfield, which movie first comes to your mind?
Never stood in a cornfield... but I'm thinking 'Tarka the Otter', or 'Watership down'. Not entirely sure why!
The third question of life
Oh, and the third question is whether there are any other movies with cornfield scenes that you can think of?
Not off hand. I'm sure there must be one in The Wizard of Oz when they find the scarecrow, though.

kaylie_kipe
Aug 1, 2004, 02:46 PM
The first question I'd have to say no to. But the second one...Before I even read the list I thought of the movie Signs. Too funny. Anyhow, I don't know any other movies with corn field scenes.

Roger1
Aug 1, 2004, 06:11 PM
tough topics:

i bring up religion with my religious and non religious friends...my christianity does not mesh with my atheist friend's point of view...though he is starting to like his wife's unity church which does not seem to condemn his non belief

liberal chistians dislike my ties to inter-varsity christian fellowship, the navigators, campus crusade for christ, and the calvary church bible college

conservative christians dislike my being a democrat, being anti-george bush, anti-christian coalition, and my stating christians like billy graham and jimmy carter, who are christians in every sense are, he he, democrats

There's a few guys from my church that I hang out with, they are all staunch republicans. I listen to them, and wonder why they think the way they do. Their big thing is they think George Bush is the best because of his religious views on various things. It's funny because that's one of the reasons why I don't like him (that and the fact I trust him about as far as I can spit). My own opinion is I don't want a president who passes laws based on HIS (the prez's) religion. Can you imagine Kerry trying to get everyone to kneel in church, or kiss the Pope's ring? BTW, I wonder how Cheney fits into my friends religious thinking. :p

edit: Needless to say, we can't talk politics too much :D

MongoTheGeek
Aug 1, 2004, 08:27 PM
I guess this is going over to politics soon. :)

I can't think of anything that I can't talk with my wife about.

Walking through the cornfields... Hmm can't think of any movie it reminds me of. Field of Dreams perhaps.

Other movies? Once again no idea. Yes Oz does have corn fields.

Ugg
Aug 2, 2004, 12:01 AM
1. Family - Politics
2. Children of the Corn. My younger brother, who is slightly weird, ran off into a cornfield in Minnesota once when he was about 8 and spent the entire day there. It was one of those weird overcast days in August where you can't breathe because of the humidity and the rustling of the corn is very, very eery sounding. When he finally came out, he wouldn't talk about why he ran into the field or what he did there all day.

3. What comes to mind is the Milagro Beanfield War, I know, not corn, but that's what comes to mind.