Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnathanSmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
Hello everybody,

I just bought a crappy "Trust" dv which I can't use on my imac G3 (mac os 9.1) :-(
The camera arrived only with PC software which are useless to me. Only thing working is the picture mode function.
When I take videos (asf) and try to open them using 'windows media' I get the warning "channel doesn't support the streaming format". I tried to find a converter software as well, for the mac, but everything seems to be for pc's.
I tried quicktime, windows media player and real player but nothing works.

Please any help will be trully appreciated as I'm thinking of refunding the camera.

Regards
Johnathan

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
JohnathanSmith said:
Please any help will be trully appreciated as I'm thinking of refunding the camera.

IMO, you should defintely return that camera and send your money on one that is known compatible with a Mac.

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
You need a mini DV camera that shoots in .dv file format which is absolutely the industry standard for video editing from beginner to pro. .asf is garbage.

Let me guess you probably got something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11724&item=3829407024&rd=1

These are really not video cameras but a crappy all in one solution that really isn't good at doing anything.

I hope I didn't make you feel too bad :eek:

JohnathanSmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
thanks

hi guys,

thanks a lot for the info,

could you please suggest any affordable (cheapest actually lol) mini dv cams?
I've been really dissapointed with this one... just read on the manual that only pic, mp3 and audio modes are supported on a mac... are they mad?

any help will be trully appreciated as I'm new to this.

Regards
Johnathan

JohnathanSmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
Chris,

I've found a JVC GRD 30, which is quite cheap.
Do you know if it's Mac compatible? will it do the job?

regards
J.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
JohnathanSmith said:

Didja check the JVC website?

I LOVE (plutonically) my Sony TRV-22. Not cheap, but worth the money. It's already paid for itself many times over in terms of "emotional cash back".

I suspect that it will work. BUT, here's Apple's "Official" website with listed compatible (with iMovie4) digital cameras:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/camcorders.html

Notably, my TRV-22 isn't on the list, but it defintely works with iMovie and Final Cut Express.

JohnathanSmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
>I suspect that it will work. BUT, here's Apple's "Official" website with listed >compatible (with iMovie4) digital cameras:

>http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/camcorders.html

>Notably, my TRV-22 isn't on the list, but it defintely works with iMovie and >Final Cut Express.

The problem is I've got OS 9.1 on my machine and I don't even know if I can use IMovie4....

Tried to download imovie and final cut today, but came up with nothing... :-(
found only pc software.

any suggestions? :)

btw, trv-22 looks goooood! well done... lol

regards
J.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Ah.. right, you don't have OSX, so you're at the mercy of the OEM's software. You see, OSX has a boat-load of "drivers" for these cameras built in, so you don't even need to install any software. You defintely won't find iMovie4 or FCE for OS9.

JohnathanSmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
jvc grd 30 ... good for my pocket lol

so, before mac osx was introduced, i wonder how people were able to view/edit their own movies with earlier versions? Could you please suggest any software available for download that are compatible with os 9.1.

I'm interested in being able to create my own .mpeg's, or .wmv's, or .mov's and also being able to edit and process them.

i apologise for my "too many" questions :)

regards
J.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
JohnathanSmith said:

I own a JVC GRD30 (and a GL2 and another Panasonic DV camera, had to brag :D) and it works fine on my mac in OSX, so it should work just fine in OS9 too.

JohnathanSmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
thanks for the info cw!

been trying to find final cut for OS 9.1 but no luck :-(

I don't know what to do, I'm definitely going for the GRD 30 though (cause it's affordable). I wonder, will I be able to use it, or am I gonna have to refund this one as well!!! lol

J.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
I think final cut pro 3 was compatible with OS9 and OSX both, surely you can find an old copy of it somewhere pretty cheap.

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
cwright said:
I own a JVC GRD30 (and a GL2 and another Panasonic DV camera, had to brag :D) and it works fine on my mac in OSX, so it should work just fine in OS9 too.

Um one question about this camera. Does it have firewire out? I know it sounds stupid but I have heard complaints about this camera lacking a computer connection. It must because you said it works fine with OS X but just checking.

JohnathanSmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
>Also I thought iMovie 1 & 2 were both available for os 9

oh, about the GRD 30, do you think I should avoid it then?

J.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Sadly, what yo got it not quite a DV cam. And since its not a standard type of system, a Mac won't play nice. The good news is that a realDV cam will have MUCH better quality and such.

aPanasonic has some miniDV for under 250. Go to http://www.cnet.com and do a price search for DV cam. Many basic models with simple features can be had for under 300.00

JohnathanSmith said:
Hello everybody,

I just bought a crappy "Trust" dv which I can't use on my imac G3 (mac os 9.1) :-(
The camera arrived only with PC software which are useless to me. Only thing working is the picture mode function.
When I take videos (asf) and try to open them using 'windows media' I get the warning "channel doesn't support the streaming format". I tried to find a converter software as well, for the mac, but everything seems to be for pc's.
I tried quicktime, windows media player and real player but nothing works.

Regards
Johnathan

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
ChrisFromCanada said:
Um one question about this camera. Does it have firewire out? I know it sounds stupid but I have heard complaints about this camera lacking a computer connection. It must because you said it works fine with OS X but just checking.

The GR-D30 does have a firewire in/out, as well as A/V and S-Video out ports. The firewire port is located behind the LCD screen, which is somewhat unusual, so this may be why some have overlooked it.

JohnathanSmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
thanks

>Sadly, what yo got it not quite a DV cam. And since its not a standard type >of system, a Mac won't play nice. The good news is that a realDV cam will >have MUCH better quality and such.

>aPanasonic has some miniDV for under 250. Go to http://www.cnet.com and do a >price search for DV cam. Many basic models with simple features can be had >for under 300.00

Yes, I know now. I thought the camera would be a DV camera (since it's written on it) but I was mistaken :(

Thanks for the link!

Johnathan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.