Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peteraigner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
Hi there, I installed yesterday Bootcamp + Windows XP Pro. After inserting my Leopard DVD I got like 22GB of "Windows Driver Package" do I really need EVERYTHING in this package? i just said 32 GB HD drive, using NTFS and 22GB is quite a lot just for Drivers.

Which of those can I deinstall savely or what do I need to do to lessen that amount. I just need Windows on my mac for Aion and Final Fantsy Online, and together they gonna need more space than that available now.

If it is NOT possible to change that without a major pain in the behind, can I savely change the size of my windows Partition without needing to start from scratch and reinstall windows and everything else?

Hope you can help me ^^

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
Hi there, I installed yesterday Bootcamp + Windows XP Pro. After inserting my Leopard DVD I got like 22GB of "Windows Driver Package" do I really need EVERYTHING in this package? i just said 32 GB HD drive, using NTFS and 22GB is quite a lot just for Drivers.

"got like"? A little more precision, please :)

It's not clear to me what this 22GB figure refers to.

But I can't believe Apple's Boot Camp installer would
install anything like 22GB of files, if that's what you
mean.

peteraigner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
OK Sorry:

Windows says in its Software Tool
Windows Driver Package - Apple Inc. System 21.736,00 MB
Windows Driver Package - Broadcom (BCM43XX) Net 21.736,00 MB
Windows Driver Package - Marvell (yukonwxp) 21.736,00 MB

and several other Windows Driver Package for things in my iMac ... but also things my iMac doesnt have, like a trackpad

Fun thing is, the Package says it is 21.7360,00 MB in size Aion and FFXI toghether are abour 23 GB, but the Disksize is just 32 GB, which doesn't really make any sense. But on the other hand, where did my diskspace disappear too? I have 5GB drive space left of 32GB and Windows itself isn't that big :confused:

the only thing remaining to be the most likely cause is this "Windows Driver Package" Stuff

And since i am not sure if kommas and points are used everywhere the same as where I am from. wie use the , for the numbers smaller than 1 and the points to mark the thousands :D

I hope it is clearer now ^^

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
OK Sorry:

Windows says in its Software Tool
Windows Driver Package - Apple Inc. System 21.736,00 MB
Windows Driver Package - Broadcom (BCM43XX) Net 21.736,00 MB
Windows Driver Package - Marvell (yukonwxp) 21.736,00 MB

All the same size? That seems strange.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
All the same size? That seems strange.

Yeah and some mighty compression there! The Boot Camp drivers partition as a whole is less them 700 MB on the OS X DVD.

petreaigner you could try an use SpaceMonger or something like that to see where the space is actually allocated on the HDD.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.