PDA

View Full Version : Finder Face...the happy guy

Brother Michael
Jul 29, 2004, 11:23 AM
Does this happy little fellow have a name? Is there a history behind him? Is there any where I can get a pic of him that would work as a buddy icon in Adium?

Mike

rainman::|:|
Jul 29, 2004, 11:59 AM
I believe his name is Bill, named after Bill Fernandez (Apple's first employee, who actually introduced the Steves to each other). Back in system 7, 6, and I don't know how far back, alert dialogues would have an elongated face on them with a speech balloon-- i think this is where the Mac OS logo comes from, and it was always named Bill. It's also the same face from the Classic Users & Groups icons... They just stylized it a bit when system 7.5 came out (I believe this was the first appearance of the face). So, my guess would be, this is the latest incarnation of Bill.

paul

jsw
Jul 29, 2004, 12:05 PM
Does this happy little fellow have a name? Is there a history behind him? Is there any where I can get a pic of him that would work as a buddy icon in Adium?

Mike

Don't know if this helps, but you could always reduce the image below... or is that what you meant?

Blue Velvet
Jul 29, 2004, 03:41 PM
One of my favorite bits of design... simple & clever

Littleodie914
Jul 29, 2004, 04:31 PM
Is it just me, or will classic not let you take a screenshot of the happy mac? I clicked the keys when the mac was up, but it just sat there for a few seconds, then took the picture after the loading window appeared. Is this Apple's thing?

Brother Michael
Jul 29, 2004, 05:36 PM
JSW: That will do just nicely thank you.

Mike

rainman::|:|
Jul 29, 2004, 05:44 PM
Is it just me, or will classic not let you take a screenshot of the happy mac? I clicked the keys when the mac was up, but it just sat there for a few seconds, then took the picture after the loading window appeared. Is this Apple's thing?

You can't take a screenshot until the computer is fully booted.

paul

me_94501
Jul 29, 2004, 07:12 PM
You can't take a screenshot until the computer is fully booted.

paul
I think he meant the Classic Startup window in OS X. And it seems I can't get the happy Mac either. I was able to take a shot of the "Welcome to Mac OS" screen, though.

fowler.
Jul 29, 2004, 07:57 PM
If you're in classic or 9, you can use ResEdit and pull up the opening image.. or change it.. whatever.

jsw
Jul 29, 2004, 08:54 PM
Did you need these?

AmigoMac
Jul 30, 2004, 01:44 AM
But I'm pretty sure that the man on the right is Steve-o ... :confused:

MongoTheGeek
Jul 30, 2004, 07:41 AM
Just be a man and resedit the system... :D
Been there, Done that, rebuilt the os...:cool: