PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Purchased Music?

pgwalsh
Jul 29, 2004, 11:50 AM
Ok.. I have a Mac and PC and I can listen to all the music from the PC except for the purchased music. That doesn't seem right. It's not like I can copy it etc.

Has anyone run into this problem and is there a way to fix it?

Elan0204
Jul 29, 2004, 01:17 PM
I assume you referring to streaming music using iTunes. If so, I'm pretty sure not being able to play purchased music is part of the DRM. However, if your computer is authorized to play the songs purchased by the account that bought them, then I think it lets you stream them. For the purchased music, I'd recommend moving one of them onto your computer and authorizing it for playback. Then you'll be able to stream all the others bought with the same account. Or, you could just copy all the purchased files, and stop streaming them.

pgwalsh
Jul 29, 2004, 05:32 PM
I assume you referring to streaming music using iTunes. If so, I'm pretty sure not being able to play purchased music is part of the DRM. However, if your computer is authorized to play the songs purchased by the account that bought them, then I think it lets you stream them. For the purchased music, I'd recommend moving one of them onto your computer and authorizing it for playback. Then you'll be able to stream all the others bought with the same account. Or, you could just copy all the purchased files, and stop streaming them.Well that's all find and dandy, but if you want to share your purchased music with your office so they can listent to your library, your out of luck.. That's sad and should be fixed..

Elan0204
Jul 29, 2004, 05:52 PM
Well that's all find and dandy, but if you want to share your purchased music with your office so they can listent to your library, your out of luck.. That's sad and should be fixed..

I think what you are saying is that you want to share your purchased music with others in your office that didn't purchase the music, but I'm not sure. Try rewriting your post. Assuming that what I think you are saying is what you are actually saying, the issue of not being able to share is not something that is broken, and therefore can not be "fixed." Not being able to stream the music is part of the DRM of the iTunes Music Store. You are allowed to play the file on up to 5 computers, not stream it to an unlimited number.

pgwalsh
Jul 29, 2004, 06:09 PM
I think what you are saying is that you want to share your purchased music with others in your office that didn't purchase the music, but I'm not sure. Try rewriting your post. Assuming that what I think you are saying is what you are actually saying, the issue of not being able to share is not something that is broken, and therefore can not be "fixed." Not being able to stream the music is part of the DRM of the iTunes Music Store. You are allowed to play the file on up to 5 computers, not stream it to an unlimited number.Well under preferences you have the Sharing option. You can listen, but not burn, copyr or download music from another person on your local network. So why couldn't you share purchased music.. That makes no sense. You're not cheating what's already there, you just lack the control that you would normally have from a purcahsed CD that was ripped into your collection.