View Full Version : New TiBook Rumor...

Jun 14, 2001, 05:42 AM
As the Apple Turns (http://www.appleturns.com) predicts a TiBook revision as soon as Friday:

"...if you were just about to rush out and snap up a titanium PowerBook G4, you might want to wait until Friday..."

"...but in this particular instance, we think a two-day wait before placing an order for a PowerBook is at most a minor inconvenience, and the payoff could be big..."

Jun 14, 2001, 06:37 AM
No way !!!

Jun 14, 2001, 08:13 AM
This could be good. Apple needs to boost sales for the sake of looking good. I think there will be *something* that will try to boost sales. With all this talk of a earnings warning I am sure they are planning on doing something to prove to the world that they are doing okay. This is a hard time for Apple. They are a month or so away from the next MacWorld and they are obviouslt saving any major announcements till then. I predict something to get sales boosted, but nothing major til MWNY.

Jun 14, 2001, 10:20 AM
Not really a TiBook revision, but a bundling of VST FireWire CD-RW drive with every TiBook purchase through the Apple Store.

Jun 14, 2001, 10:30 AM
I believe it will be something like mikeha said. Something to get the Wintell Monkeys of their back sabout hwo their low end laptop has cd burning capibilities and their high end doesn't.

They might put a DVD/CD-RW combo drive in the systems. They have done small revisions like that in the past-

We'll have to wait and see.

Jun 14, 2001, 02:59 PM
Ok people these are my predictions for the new revised TiBook;

there will be an upgrade in system bus speed if not Mhz speed (processor)

-will come with extra ram (probably 256mb standard config to accomodate the cool MacOSX)

- will come with OSX

- No change in 3d card but as mentioed earlier by some other person, a CD/RW is definitely in store.

-now i dance


Jun 15, 2001, 05:53 AM
It is now on the Apple Store, under PowerBooks.

Jun 15, 2001, 09:41 AM
Very nice Apple! I think that this is a great courtesy that Apple is extending to it's customers who will be buying the higher end portable. But.....what about the customers who ordered them as soon as they were released and had to wait up to 2 months for delivery? We should qualify for something shouldn't we?

Jun 15, 2001, 10:49 AM
Personally, I'm going to wait until after MWNY to even consider buying the PowerBook G4. I need to get a laptop that will last me through the bulk of college (I'm starting this fall) and I want to get the best value possible.

Jun 15, 2001, 12:22 PM
The VST deal only graces those living within american shores, euro mac users have been shunned.

Jun 15, 2001, 08:03 PM
No pointy waiting till MWNY to see if there be new PowerBook. Free CD-RW is obtained by mail-in form (8-10 week wait!) and form is good for any current PowerBook G4 model number bought by Sept. 3. That means no new PB till after (coupons ALWAYS expire BEFORE new products come out, to avoid confusion). New PB? Paris Expo mehaps.

Jun 16, 2001, 12:41 AM
I'd like to be able to buy it before MWNY, but I'm too worried that they might cut prices substantially or perhaps announce a new revision. What does everyone else think?

Jun 16, 2001, 01:09 AM
Work around: Any Europeans who sincerely want a Ti-Book and the VST freebie drive.. I'll be happy to act as an intermediary for Euro users and ship the drive straight from my house for shipping fees only.


Jun 16, 2001, 01:34 AM
Hey Xistor, just for curiosity, you will not have problems with customs?

Jun 16, 2001, 07:42 AM
With all due respect people, please articulate when you write something in these posts. For example, although Im sure Wescrush meant well, I can't understand what he/she is saying. "and form is good for any power...."?????

Jun 16, 2001, 01:02 PM
I'm surprised they are doing this deal insead of offering the internal. My guess is that a thin slot loading CD-RW hasn't been developed yet. Perhaps the one on new iMac is too thick? Anyone know who makes these drives?
About there not beeing any till after the reabte expeires...The rebate does specify the current DVD model of the TiBook in order to qualify, so maybe there is still hope. I'm waiting till MWNY and then I can waits no more.

Jun 17, 2001, 03:28 AM
the CD-RW bundle is great and will be something you can carry on to your next laptop or desktop 2 or 3 years down the line the way I have continued to use my same printer and sony monitor after I was done with my older computer...where computers get outdated within 3 years or less, the CD-RW will likely serve you twice as long!

Jun 17, 2001, 12:05 PM
Perhaps the new PowerBook G4 will have an internal CD-RW by default, thus making a clear distinction between models eligible for the offer and those not eligible.

Jun 17, 2001, 02:02 PM
Actually, as weird as it may sound...Apple may indeed make a strange move. they might configure the low end G4 Titanium with CD/RW as default only. The other higher end will come with DVD/CD default. Hence gap between the two models will be bridged.

Jun 21, 2001, 07:28 AM
I find myself replying to my own post. Is anyone there????

Jun 22, 2001, 07:39 AM
It has been two Fridays since this topic has been up. Powerbook users get a external CD-R. Whoop-de-do! Big deal. Post some recent, up to date news, please!