Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thesmoth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
I bought applecare for my 13" macbook pro off of ebay, and since i've heard rumours about the codes being possibly generated fakes, and that if you don't have a receipt or box with a serial number you can have your waranty void.

Well I paid extra and ordered a boxed applecare and I have the box in front of me (i just went online to register) and i'm a bit worried that maybe the box is fake? The outside box looks really good, it is shiny and well printed, and on the bottom edge there is a sticker with serial number, part number, barcodes, etc...

But inside there is a booklet that is printed on regular paper (not glossy or shiny paper, just matte paper), and the disc for techtool deluxe looks and feels like the top label is a paper sticker that was put on, and the logo for the techtool company looks a bit poor quality.

If anyone has bought a boxed copy of applecare from apple, can they confirm that the booklet is matte paper and not glossy, and that the disc has a paper sticker like texture and not a glossy smooth shiny texture like most discs?

Thanks!

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
The "Web Registration Instructions" insert should be like heavier card stock (I guess thats the term for it).

My booklet feels like copy paper. I'd actually say its a little tissuey paper feeling. Definately nothing fancy; no gloss or anything. The "Web Registration Instructions" insert will definately be thicker.

The techtool deluxe CD should be from edge to edge (with a small amount of visible rim in the middle and a small amount on the outside edge). You shouldn't be able to peel it off (vs. if it were a mere paper label you would definitely be able to pull it off). The flip side of the disk on the inner rim might say "Recorded in the USA" but all may not have that.

So you should be fine.

thesmoth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
OK great, thank you so much! My snow leopard disc was shiny on top like most discs, and the small booklet with it was glossy, so i was worried that this was a fake. It was factory sealed and everything, but i'm assuming any factor can do that.

The "Web Registration Instructions" insert should be like heavier card stock (I guess thats the term for it).

My booklet feels like copy paper. I'd actually say its a little tissuey paper feeling. Definately nothing fancy; no gloss or anything. The "Web Registration Instructions" insert will definately be thicker.

The techtool deluxe CD should be from edge to edge (with a small amount of visible rim in the middle and a small amount on the outside edge). You shouldn't be able to peel it off (vs. if it were a mere paper label you would definitely be able to pull it off). The flip side of the disk on the inner rim might say "Recorded in the USA" but all may not have that.

So you should be fine.

cfitz7111

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Just confirm with Apple the version you bought is for the US. People on eBay have been selling AC for other parts of the world, and people have gotten burned by it when they needed it.

thesmoth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Just confirm with Apple the version you bought is for the US. People on eBay have been selling AC for other parts of the world, and people have gotten burned by it when they needed it.

I called and asked if I could give me serial number of the box to confirm and they said they didn't need it and that it was registered fine, and that they didn't need the receipt or box for anything.

I hate how half of the people you talk to when you call in don't know what they're talking about. In my experience the apple phone service reps are retarded and can barely speak, let alone fix your problems (I guess that is what happens when you put call centers in the US where the education system is so poor).

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg
I called and asked if I could give me serial number of the box to confirm and they said they didn't need it and that it was registered fine, and that they didn't need the receipt or box for anything.

I hate how half of the people you talk to when you call in don't know what they're talking about. In my experience the apple phone service reps are retarded and can barely speak, let alone fix your problems (I guess that is what happens when you put call centers in the US where the education system is so poor).

LOL.WOW...hahaha

thesmoth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
LOL.WOW...hahaha

They opened a giant call center for US customers, located in Canada near my house. One of the main reasons for them doing so was that the quality of education was so much better in Canada that the employees they could hire would actually be half-way competent.

cfitz7111

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008

:rolleyes: lol

Glad it worked out for you.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
They opened a giant call center for US customers, located in Canada near my house. One of the main reasons for them doing so was that the quality of education was so much better in Canada that the employees they could hire would actually be half-way competent.

Oh Yes! The quality of eduction in Canada is so good that they have great institutions far superior to Harvard, Yale, and Columbia universities, and many distinguished scientists, writers, and historians, although their achievements tend to be overlooked. :D

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
Oh Yes! The quality of eduction in Canada is so good that they have great institutions far superior to Harvard, Yale, and Columbia universities, and many distinguished scientists, writers, and historians, although their achievements tend to be overlooked. :D

Yes, because I'm sure all those people are the ones looking for jobs in call centers.

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg

Yea, theres a lot of call centres around where I live. A lot of companies get Canadians to do there support for them, although Im not 100% sure it has to do with education. I think its more about the clarity of our voices. For the most part, besides east coasters, we talk pretty clearly.

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg

There is a lot of international students at these universities also. And having a fair bit of cash doesn't hurt your acceptance chances.Especially if said cash is being donated to the school at all.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
Yea, theres a lot of call centres around where I live. A lot of companies get Canadians to do there support for them, although Im not 100% sure it has to do with education. I think its more about the clarity of our voices. For the most part, besides east coasters, we talk pretty clearly.

There is a lot of international students at these universities also. And having a fair bit of cash doesn't hurt your acceptance chances.Especially if said cash is being donated to the school at all.

The irony.... ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.