Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomxe36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2009
So I bought my macbook pro about a year ago, and ever since I have never update my graphic/video card. I need to update it because I am trying to play this game (Left4Dead) and It says that I should update it and I have tried playing the game without updating but when I get to the Main Menu it is blank. :( So I went to nvidia's website and I could not find an update for GeForce 8600M GT for mac. HELP ME PLEASE!

HellDiverUK

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
Belfast, UK
Just to be sure you've got this right.

Are you trying to play a game on Windows or on MacOS?

If you're playing it on Windows, then you need to download the Windows driver for the 8600M GT from nVidia - NOT the Mac version.

If you're using MacOS to play the game, then driver updates are included with the OS Updates - they're not necessarily mentioned anywhere, but they are there.

tomxe36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2009
like i can open the game , the intro movie plays , i get to the main menu its fine but the text is not there i just see the background and music

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
like i can open the game , the intro movie plays , i get to the main menu its fine but the text is not there i just see the background and music

You either open it with Crossover or its a ciderized version. None of these methods are 100% guaranteed to run and/or to run well.

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
I played that game a ton when it came out in boot camp. You do need to get the laptop to go drivers. Read the instructions to installing the mobile INF to the drivers and you'll have no problem running that game.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
There is no cider version of L4D unless it's cracked… then well it's kind of pointless since you can't play online. If it's not cracked and you're in Windows, download the drivers. It will ask for the extract location. Choose your desktop. Then download the INF enhancer. Don't rename it or anything. Then move the INF file into the extracted folder on your desktop. It will ask if you want to replace or not… yes replace it. Then open the folder, and run the setup.exe

Depending on the version of Windows your running, it may tell you the driver isn't signed. Ignore it and just continue. After installation be sure to restart your computer.

tomxe36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2009
There is no cider version of L4D unless it's cracked… then well it's kind of pointless since you can't play online. If it's not cracked and you're in Windows, download the drivers. It will ask for the extract location. Choose your desktop. Then download the INF enhancer. Don't rename it or anything. Then move the INF file into the extracted folder on your desktop. It will ask if you want to replace or not… yes replace it. Then open the folder, and run the setup.exe

Depending on the version of Windows your running, it may tell you the driver isn't signed. Ignore it and just continue. After installation be sure to restart your computer.

the thing is im not running windows. im on macosx and im just running crossover to run the game. but when i get to the main menu of the game i cant see any text or writing :[

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
the thing is im not running windows. im on macosx and im just running crossover to run the game. but when i get to the main menu of the game i cant see any text or writing :[

It doesn't work that well under crossover. You're better off using boot camp.

jeffspc88mx

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2008
It doesn't work that well under crossover. You're better off using boot camp.

Agree. I have a few windows games and NONE of them work under Fusion. Launch windows natively under bootcamp and you should be fine. Once you're in windows, go back to the nVidia website and get the driver for your version of windows and install it while running windows.

Macs are good gaming computers....except there just aren't many games for it. It's pretty much all I use windows for is to run games. (sigh).

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

Oh Left4Dead doesn't run in CrossOver. I've tried that already.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
I believe Left 4 Dead and L4D2 now run in Crossover. (I'm an Advocate and I get e-mails from them but I actually don't use Crossover or have it installed). They said they just released (in beta) the "Zombie Mallard" version of Crossover Games so if you wait about a month there should be a Crossover Games version out that will let you play L4D in OS X well.

Until then Bootcamp it (Windows XP). And to answer your specific question, you can not "upgrade" the graphics card drivers in OS X. They are automatically upgraded by OS X Software Update (and on top of that the drivers in OS X are awful and are rarely updated).

You are getting that message because Crossover emulates Windows and Steam (not knowing your emulating Windows on OS X) thinks your drivers are out of date because something looks weird to the Steam program. Ignore the message as it's unimportant and is just indicative that you are using emulation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.