Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontlookback82

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
My Macbook Pro is approaching its second birthday and now refuses to accept any DVDs, it takes them, swirls them around making a funny noise for a few seconds and then spits the disc back out.

As much as I love my laptop, this is proving to be a right pain. I want update to Snow Leopard, but can't, I want to install Windows 7, but can't and more importantly can't even run FM2010!

I can't see how Apple can justify charging so much and have the nerve to call the drive 'super', when it is clearly not. Reading across the net on forums this seems to be a common problem and one that Apple don't want to know.

Can anyone recommend an external DVD drive to buy?:mad:

macfrik

Contributor
Mar 21, 2009
Utah
My Macbook Pro is approaching its second birthday and now refuses to accept any DVDs, it takes them, swirls them around making a funny noise for a few seconds and then spits the disc back out.

As much as I love my laptop, this is proving to be a right pain. I want update to Snow Leopard, but can't, I want to install Windows 7, but can't and more importantly can't even run FM2010!

I can't see how Apple can justify charging so much and have the nerve to call the drive 'super', when it is clearly not. Reading across the net on forums this seems to be a common problem and one that Apple don't want to know.

Can anyone recommend an external DVD drive to buy?:mad:

I have the Samsung External DVD Drive. I forgot whats its model number. I bought it off ebay. Its about 79 bucks. Not expensive and most importantly, it works plug and play with my Mac via USB.

killerwhack

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
Los Angeles, California
Apple Care is a bargain - don't get a MBP without it!

Three years of coverage for a couple of hundred dollars? That is a bargain when you know how much it cost to fix anything on the MBP.

You can get Apple Care on Ebay for less than the $349 retail. I strongly recommend to all owners to pay this fee. The treatment you receive at the apple store is much better when you are an apple care owner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.