Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Apple makes Apple computers. I've never heard of a "Microsoft" Computer, only HP, Dell, etc. Is this true? Does Microsoft only supply the OS?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
johnbro23 said:
Apple makes Apple computers. I've never heard of a "Microsoft" Computer, only HP, Dell, etc. Is this true? Does Microsoft only supply the OS?
You make it very hard not to poke fun at you, but I will restrain myself. No, Microsoft does not make computers, except for the Xbox game console. Even the Xbox is actually made by a contractor and sold under the Microsoft label.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Yea, I thought it was kind of a stupid question, but I was just curious? Why wouldn't Microsoft try to sell computers? I mean they have the money, why not design the ultimate computer or something?

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
johnbro23 said:
Yea, I thought it was kind of a stupid question, but I was just curious? Why wouldn't Microsoft try to sell computers? I mean they have the money, why not design the ultimate computer or something?
Its not a stupid question. ALOT of people think Microsoft builds computers just because they are so huge and everyone knows windows on there PC. Microsoft is a software company but they make some hardware. Xbox, mice, routers just to name a few. They never went into the computer market, because... well... I guess they didn't need to.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
Yeah, Microsoft doesn't need to make computers, since nearly every company that does make computer will be using their operating system. Apple is one of the few that make their own hardware and OS. If they had licensed their operating system, they might not be making hardware either.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Hmm, interesting. I don't understand why they wouldnt. So does that mean there are manufacturers out there that put build Macs? Or no, since they don't lisense their OSs?

Nspace

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Your need an apple to run their OS. Anyone who enjoys using apples os, and likes all of its features will in turn have to buy an apple computer if they want to use it, so it does make sense about why they wouldn't license it.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Apple is first and foremost a hardware company. That is the main source of their cash flow. In the late 90s they flirted with licensing their OS and a few Mac clone companies sprang up. Apple revenues started drying up so they scrapped the whole thing and the clone companies went bye bye.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
There used to be a company called Power Computing that built Apple clones, but they were axed a long time ago. Even though Microsoft doesn't make computers, they do make accessories such as mice and keyboard, etc.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
johnbro23 said:
Hmm, interesting. I don't understand why they wouldnt. So does that mean there are manufacturers out there that put build Macs? Or no, since they don't lisense their OSs?
Duff-Man says...Apple did license the OS to others for a while in the mid-90's and "Apple Clones" were sold by Motorola, Power Computing and a few others. But as Apple makes most of its money on hardware all the cloning did was cannibalize Apple's sales and increase Apple's losses. Steve Jobs killed the clone deals (or more accurately, did not renew them or bought them back) - a smart move at the time...that's the short story.....oh yeah!

sgtlmj

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2003
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so Brain, but if Bill Gates made computers, wouldn't he then have to change the name to MicroHard?

Narf!

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
Just think, if M$ made the computer, would they still license their own OS to other companies or create a whole new OS for their hardware and license Winbloze to everybody else- only to stop development on it after they got a significant market share on their own machine. Can you say monopoly?
This is probably the reason why they haven't yet made their own computer. If they did, it would increase the perception of M$ monopoly in the computer market.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
johnbro23 said:
There is a very good reason why Microsoft doesn't make computers. Developing hardware is expensive. Branded computers are even more so. Of Wintel manufacturers, only Dell (and possibly HP-Compaq) earn a profit. The market for Wintel boxes is one that was lost by IBM, a much better financed company than Microsoft. Even though Dell is the most successful vendor, no one dominates the market in Wintel hardware. Microsoft could not dominate the market if it entered it. In the company's present financial status, it really needs to dominate a market for it to be worth its while.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
sgtlmj said:
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so Brain, but if Bill Gates made computers, wouldn't he then have to change the name to MicroHard?

Narf!

Very good :D

TreeHugger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
kingjr3 said:
But they do make pretty nice mice :eek:

Yes, but you can't put em in a cage. Well you can but....

Frankly, I am quite glad that MS does not make any computers... If they would make computers like their OS.... Oh boy...

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Microsoft doesn't make computers, but they do have the OEM's by the balls and pretty much force them to install Windows on their computers. Microsoft has gone so far as to suggest that it should be illegal to sell a PC without Windows. Remember that the next time they talk about a "competing" product being bad for the consumer because it takes away choice.

I swear I don't make this stuff up.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Exactly, but not

KingSleaze said:
Just think, if M$ made the computer, would they still license their own OS to other companies or create a whole new OS for their hardware and license Winbloze to everybody else- only to stop development on it after they got a significant market share on their own machine. Can you say monopoly?
This is probably the reason why they haven't yet made their own computer. If they did, it would increase the perception of M$ monopoly in the computer market.

But now the cost of business would include manufacturing, R&D, industrial design, etc. which is very expensive. Making an OS that is included with every new PC—with rare exceptions—under OEM deals is like printing money.
Secondly, they would put themselves in even greater risk of the US DOJ reopening the anti-trust case. They been hurt in Europe too.

So, it would be high costs and few rewards for MS to make their own machines. Their mice, the Xbox, etc. are subcontracted out and have the MS sticker added, like Mazda's Tribute (it's really a Ford Escape); I think their router is a Linksys, but I'm not sure.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Finiksa said:
Not all of them my Optical Blue doesn't sit flat and the plastic shell squeaks. It's put me off getting another MS mouse again.

I've never liked MS mice, the last one I had quit working after a few months.
Logitech has some goods ones. As does Macally.

And why give Microsoft any more money than you must.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Horrortaxi said:
Microsoft doesn't make computers, but they do have the OEM's by the balls and pretty much force them to install Windows on their computers. Microsoft has gone so far as to suggest that it should be illegal to sell a PC without Windows. Remember that the next time they talk about a "competing" product being bad for the consumer because it takes away choice.

I swear I don't make this stuff up.

Wow, I didn't know about that... But what about people who build their own computers?

It's interesting, I went to Best Buys a few days ago and saw a lady that was asking a guy to re-install XP on her computer. I then heard that they were going to charge her 59$ to do that!!! I had half a mind to go up to the lady and say "I'll install XP for free if you promise to never come into this store again."

Seriously, XP (next to OS X) is the easiest OS to install..... If you want something difficult to install, try something like Gentoo....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.