PDA

View Full Version : Imac g5 Mac Os X snow leopard problem

HINAYUPAKS
Nov 15, 2009, 03:37 PM
Hi there guys. i need a expert help from all you who knows exactly my problem is. but first i will tell you the story how this problem starts. my boss ask me to change her imac g5 os x snow leopard into xp. so i decided to install a bootcamp. the badthing is. i dnt read the manual that it cannot be boot from USB ext. cd drive. i put the xp cd there. and then the mac os ask me to reboot the pc... and there the problem starts.. the imac g5 wont boot anymore. it stays on the white screen with Apple Logo in the center.. i tried almost all the possible way.. ON Single User mode it freezes there... and never ever do anything. it will stays there forver saying LOADING.. something..... i tried to reboot from the cd drive of i mac... by pressing combo keys' CMD+OPT+SHIFT+DELETE and CMD+OPT+SHIFT+DELETE+# and "C" but it wont work... i dnt know if the optical eye of the cd drive can read or not. or maybe it cannot accept winxp Cd rom bootable installer, and the other problem is i dnt have the installer of mac osx snow leopard. so i am ****** up hahaha anyone can help me? is there any other way? i would appriciate if u could help me .. and i will gonna promote this forum. if i find this very helpfull thanks in advance .. and i am hopingthat i can get immediate answers :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

swiftaw
Nov 15, 2009, 03:40 PM
Are you sure it's a G5 and not an intel? Since both Snow Leopard and Bootcamp are only available on Intel machines.

zerohp
Nov 15, 2009, 03:44 PM
Great example of why this message board needs an active moderator.

flopticalcube
Nov 15, 2009, 03:47 PM
Great example of why this message board needs an active moderator.
It does. Loads of them, infact.

OP. If you want a quicker reply, reformat your post. Its rather unreadable.

HINAYUPAKS
Nov 15, 2009, 03:51 PM
It does. Loads of them, infact.

OP. If you want a quicker reply, reformat your post. Its rather unreadable.

Sorry dude im not really good in english sorry if there's a grammar error.

Mike Macintosh
Nov 15, 2009, 03:53 PM
Are you sure it's a G5, because G5's are PPC, and Snow Leopard doesn't work on PPC machines, let alone bootcamp.

Sun Baked
Nov 15, 2009, 03:53 PM
The G3, G4, and G5 are all PPC instruction chips.

The Intel machines are old fashioned x86 chips, only these can run Snow Leopard and Windows.

Quite sure if you read the Windows box it'll list x86 CPUs and so does Snow Leopard (Intel - Core Duo, Core2Duo, i5, i7, Xeons.)

HINAYUPAKS
Nov 15, 2009, 03:57 PM
Are you sure it's a G5 and not an intel? Since both Snow Leopard and Bootcamp are only available on Intel machines.

hmmm i thinks its Intel.. its white 27inches

it looks like this (http://gizmodo.com/5388567/apple-imac-review-27-inches-and-less-chin)

HINAYUPAKS
Nov 15, 2009, 03:58 PM
The G3, G4, and G5 are all PPC instruction chips.

The Intel machines are old fashioned x86 chips, only these can run Snow Leopard and Windows.

Quite sure if you read the Windows box it'll list x86 CPUs and so does Snow Leopard (Intel - Core Duo, Core2Duo, i5, i7, Xeons.)

yes exaclty dude... did u know how to fix my problem? :(

spinnerlys
Nov 15, 2009, 03:58 PM
If it's the iMac you linked, it's a new 27-inch iMac, with a Core 2 Duo or i5/7 quad core CPU, not a G5 PPC CPU.

There are also no white variants of this 27-inch iMac.

G5 iMac (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_G5)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b3/IMac_G5_Rev._A_front.jpg

Intel iMacs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_iMac)

http://www.mac-history.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/08_mac25_imacintel_600.jpg

http://assets.gearlive.com/blogimages/apple-imac-aluminum.jpg

http://www.2dayblog.com/images/2009/october/imac_1.jpg

HINAYUPAKS
Nov 15, 2009, 04:00 PM
If it's the iMac you linked, it's a new 27-inch iMac, with a Core 2 Duo or i5/7 quad core CPU, not a G5 PPC CPU.

sorry its not white.... it gray sorry for that ... :)

Sun Baked
Nov 15, 2009, 04:03 PM
Boot Camp 3.0, Mac OS X 10.6: Frequently asked questions (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3777)

Basically which version of XP?

HINAYUPAKS
Nov 15, 2009, 04:06 PM

Ok sorry guys i am a firsttime imac user... its my first time to use mac os.. i dnt really have the idea about this... but i know how it works. the problem is i dont read manuals. this is my lesson. i cant see the real specs now because its not booting up.. no specs or models outside the case. but b4 i do the bootcamp thing installed... i saw the specs but i cannot fully remember.. its intel dual core
2gig memory 400+ gigabye of harddrive and the case color is gray...

HINAYUPAKS
Nov 15, 2009, 04:08 PM
Boot Camp 3.0, Mac OS X 10.6: Frequently asked questions (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3777)

Basically which version of XP?

Service pack 2 ...

now i know the model its Intel Imac 27inches ...

HINAYUPAKS
Nov 15, 2009, 04:10 PM

Intel iMacs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_iMac)

as exactly as this :)

flopticalcube
Nov 15, 2009, 04:11 PM
Your best bet is to find the restore disks (its less than a month old so they couldn't have gone very far) and reboot and run Disk Utility and repair the Mac OS partition of the disk.

Sun Baked
Nov 15, 2009, 04:13 PM
Hopefully, you have not used bootcamp to format the wrong volume.

If you got the wired mouse you should be able to hold down the mouse button to eject the XP disc and put in the System Restore Disc that came with the machine in order to run Disk Utility to look at the partitions and how they are formatted.

Others have noted a possible problem with wireless keyboards on the new machines.

So you might have to grab an old Apple wired keyboard to get the command-s and c working.

HINAYUPAKS
Nov 15, 2009, 04:13 PM
Your best bet is to find the restore disks (its less than a month old so they couldn't have gone very far) and reboot and run Disk Utility and repair the Mac OS partition of the disk.

Where do you think i can find recovery disk? i stayed for almost 6 hours now in the net.. but i havent found 1 for that... so i decided to download at torrent the 7.5gb of installer... and my connection sux... in 3 hours i have 11.6% done hahahah

Sun Baked
Nov 15, 2009, 04:14 PM
Where do you think i can find recovery disk? i stayed for almost 6 hours now in the net.. but i havent found 1 for that... so i decided to download at torrent the 7.5gb of installer... and my connection sux... in 3 hours i have 11.6% done hahahah

Came in the new box a couple weeks ago, and it has to be the ones that came with this machine or a model exactly like it ... they are keyed to the Mac model number.

flopticalcube
Nov 15, 2009, 04:15 PM
I would suggest you look for the original disks that came with the iMac. I would not download anything.

HINAYUPAKS
Nov 15, 2009, 04:18 PM
Hopefully, you have not used bootcamp to format the wrong volume.
[/qoute]
I actually used the Bootcamp and i resize the 35gig to 160gig space for xp..
the thing is i put the winxp cd in the external cdrom connected to a usb port. because i never knew that it has cd rom drive at the right of the screen.. too bad because its too late for me to realize that ive done something wrong..
[QUOTE=Sun Baked;8821535]
If you got the wired mouse you should be able to hold down the mouse button to eject the XP disc and put in the System Restore Disc that came with the machine in order to run Disk Utility to look at the partitions and how they are formatted.

Others have noted a possible problem with wireless keyboards on the new machines.

So you might have to grab an old Apple wired keyboard to get the command-s and c working.

My keyboard and mouse are all wired... how long does it takes to hold down the keys? to boot from cd drom

Sun Baked
Nov 15, 2009, 04:23 PM
My keyboard and mouse are all wired... how long does it takes to hold down the keys? to boot from cd drom

Shouldn't take long to boot from the CD or into single user using command S.

You can hold down the option key to see if there are any bootable volumes.

flopticalcube
Nov 15, 2009, 04:27 PM
So you have the XP disk in an external dvd drive, correct? Can you remove it from the drive and place it in the side slot drive?

HINAYUPAKS
Nov 15, 2009, 04:29 PM
Shouldn't take long to boot from the CD or into single user using command S.

You can hold down the option key to see if there are any bootable volumes.

ey that was nice... i press the OPTION button and the icon shows in the center then i click it and then my MAC OS boot up... what the ***** ... it been looking for the solutions for almost 1 day.. and 6 hours the solution is that? wow thanks a lot man...

Solutions:

Press Down Option Key when you heard the chimes...
CLick the icon and wait..

Then Thats It

Thank you very much Sunbaked :) i owe you one.. ill be back

flopticalcube
Nov 15, 2009, 04:31 PM
Please. Read the instructions before you proceed any further.

HINAYUPAKS
Nov 15, 2009, 04:32 PM
When i insert the Disk.. what is the proper face of the cd b4 insert it to the diskdrive at the side? is it the readable area facing at me or facing at the back?

spinnerlys
Nov 15, 2009, 04:34 PM
When i insert the Disk.. what is the proper face of the cd b4 insert it to the diskdrive at the side? is it the readable area facing at me or facing at the back?

The cover of the DVD is facing you.

HINAYUPAKS
Nov 15, 2009, 04:34 PM
Please. Read the instructions before you proceed any further.

Ang i thanks to you too... you are very very help full ... thanks... alot... i will gonna follow this forum ...

HINAYUPAKS
Nov 15, 2009, 04:35 PM
The cover of the DVD is facing you.

Thanks man... i am overwhelmed with the help i got from you guys... thank you

HINAYUPAKS
Nov 15, 2009, 04:38 PM
is it possible to take over the entire disk for windows xp? i will gonna erase totally the MAC os is this safe?

flopticalcube
Nov 15, 2009, 04:43 PM
is it possible to take over the entire disk for windows xp? i will gonna erase totally the MAC os is this safe?
You can but its advisable to have a small (say 30GB) partition to boot into OSX incase of firmware upgrades to your iMac. OSX can also be booted from an external (USB or FireWire) drive, as well.

HINAYUPAKS
Nov 15, 2009, 04:46 PM
You can but its advisable to have a small (say 30GB) partition to boot into OSX incase of firmware upgrades to your iMac. OSX can also be booted from an external (USB or FireWire) drive, as well.

ok which os should i put to the 30gb? the Xp or MAC osx? is the chipsets of this intel imac avaible for windows xp?
is the firmware automaticall updates to the internet? or manually?

flopticalcube
Nov 15, 2009, 04:48 PM
ok which os should i put to the 30gb? the Xp or MAC osx? is the chipsets of this intel imac avaible for windows xp?
If you mostly use XP, then make the OSX partition the smaller one. Apple only releases firmware updates under OSX so you will have to boot into OSX occasionally and check for updates.

HINAYUPAKS
Nov 15, 2009, 04:50 PM
If you mostly use XP, then make the OSX partition the smaller one. Apple only releases firmware updates under OSX so you will have to boot into OSX occasionally and check for updates.

I see thanks a lot for the help man... ill be in touch if i have another question.. and i hope this forum will help to a new imac users thanks a lot :) :) :) :) :apple:

HINAYUPAKS
Nov 15, 2009, 05:57 PM
How do i set my Haddrive boots automatically?

flopticalcube
Nov 15, 2009, 06:01 PM
Under XP, bring up bootcamp in the tray on the lower right. There you can set the default startup partition. You will need your original OSX disk with the bootcamp drivers on it to install this.

HINAYUPAKS
Nov 15, 2009, 06:07 PM
Under XP, bring up bootcamp in the tray on the lower right. There you can set the default startup partition. You will need your original OSX disk with the bootcamp drivers on it to install this.

awts... i dnt have disk for osx. and i formated entire for xp disk i made 3 partitions.. XP disk... backup disk and the reserve for OSX if i buy the cd soon..

Is there other way to do that?

flopticalcube
Nov 15, 2009, 06:08 PM
awts... i dnt have disk for osx. and i formated entire for xp disk i made 3 partitions.. XP disk... backup disk and the reserve for OSX if i buy the cd soon..

Is there other way to do that?
torrent?

PuckDaddy
Nov 15, 2009, 09:43 PM
when in doubt ...... RTFM !

thegoldenmackid
Nov 15, 2009, 09:51 PM
Sorry dude im not really good in english sorry if there's a grammar error.
The problem is not necessarily English, as in you don't know what a preposition is. The problems are: spelling, formatting and having sentences that are coherent. While it might be being the grammar police, it's not clear and sometimes annoying. Generally speaking, this forum embraces the idea of using cohesive sentences and spelling things correctly.

torrent?
It's against the rules to assist in the pirating of software. The OP seems to already have torrented stuff illegally, but that's another discussion. (OP, you should read the rules (http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules), I believe you are supposed to do that when joining)

when in doubt ...... RTFM !
QFT

flopticalcube
Nov 15, 2009, 09:59 PM
It's against the rules to assist in the pirating of software. The OP seems to already have torrented stuff illegally, but that's another discussion. (OP, you should read the rules (http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules), I believe you are supposed to do that when joining)

Well, yes, but in this instance I think obtaining bootcamp if you can't find the appropriate disks that you paid for already is hardly a case of Long John Silver in Treasure Island. Downloading software that you have not paid for is pirating. Obtaining a copy of something that you paid for but lost is different, if only slightly. ;)

300D
Nov 15, 2009, 10:09 PM
Obtaining a copy of something that you paid for but lost is different

Nothing wrong with that. I did it for my really old CD of Windows98 to use in VPC and my Halo CD that grew legs.

RexTraverse
Nov 15, 2009, 10:10 PM
Obtaining a copy of something that you paid for but lost is different, if only slightly. ;)

The OP lost the recovery disks for a product that was purchased less than a month ago. I fear for that iMac and its fate.

thegoldenmackid
Nov 15, 2009, 10:13 PM
Well, yes, but in this instance I think obtaining bootcamp if you can't find the appropriate disks that you paid for already is hardly a case of Long John Silver in Treasure Island. Downloading software that you have not paid for is pirating. Obtaining a copy of something that you paid for but lost is different, if only slightly. ;)

It seemed like the OP was already torrenting something to begin with. Also, if it's the restore discs the OP is trying to get a copy of:
1. How have they already been lost?
2. How does the OP plan on getting those off of a torrent? - I suppose just a 10.6 disc will work
3. Those are not free, replacement restore discs cost money - therefore I believe that the OP is pirating? If not they are pirating OSX, if you look at the Psystar ruling, the practice of illegally obtaining a license, even when having a legitimate license - still illegal. It may not be as applicable here, but there seems to be some shenanigans regardless. I wasn't accusing you of breaking the rules here, trying to get the OP to understand some of them.

flopticalcube
Nov 15, 2009, 10:21 PM
Somehow I feel that obtaining the correct software will be the least of his problems. :D

thegoldenmackid
Nov 15, 2009, 10:24 PM
Somehow I feel that obtaining the correct software will be the least of his problems. :D

My first thought was actually: Really, you really want to explain this to him/her...

J&JPolangin
Nov 15, 2009, 10:46 PM
...OP, if the iMac is still in the return period, please return it and buy a winXP, vista, win7 machine as you want to wipe OS X and install winXP anyway = you'll save yourself a bunch of $$ also...

HINAYUPAKS
Nov 16, 2009, 10:31 AM
My first thought was actually: Really, you really want to explain this to him/her...

Sorry if i offended you, :) actually i am not continuing downloading the torrent stuff i know where going to put my place, and the thing is that, i am a first time imac and mac os user. i really dont use to a pirated stuff or something. when i attempt to download on torrent its just because i dont have a choice for now. because you know what? i am 10 hours away for where i can buy a legal cd for this stuff. my point here is that i want to fix this asap, and because someone is willing to help, i solve my problem. and i will thank them for this, but also i wanna thank you, for commenting at least i know what your point is, and i appreciate that. dont missunderstood me man. good day to you all and i thank you again , :)