PDA

View Full Version : Should I install the ATI Radeon drivers (PB15)?

micsaund
Jul 29, 2004, 10:01 PM
Hi,

Well, I'm looking at my first video driver install since giving the Mac a shot, but I'm unsure about some things...

1) Do I need to install the drivers from the ATI site on my PB15 with Radeon Mobility 9700? Are the built-in OS X drivers accelerated/good? (I'm thinking of the craptastic drivers that Winbloze installs for video cards which cannot use any of the advanced chipset features at all).

2) Looking at the driver list for the Mac on www.ati.com, I don't see a Mobility 9700 driver... On the Winbloze side, there is a "unified driver" but there does not seem to be such a thing for the Mac. Which driver would I use considering that they only list 9800, 9000, etc. drivers?

3) Does anyone have any general advice regarding these drivers? Stuff like stability/etc. I don't play many games on my PB so if the drivers add much instability, I'll stick with the ones that Apple shipped, but if I can get a nice boost from trying the ATI drivers, maybe that's the way to go.

Of course, perhaps the answer to my #1 question is "no, only use the built-in OS X drivers" in which case, #2 and #3 are irrelevant ;)

Thanks,
Mike

micsaund
Jul 29, 2004, 10:04 PM
Ugh - kinda nevermind - I just found the "Mobility" page on ATI's site and it says to use drivers from the manufacturer of the notebook, so I guess that answers most of my questions.

Well, thanks anyway - as usual, I jumped the gun by 60 seconds :rolleyes: I obviously am too "trained" in the ways of keeping a Winbloze machine up-to-date...

Mike

Duff-Man
Jul 29, 2004, 10:05 PM
Duff-Man says...in general, the stuff ATI posts on their site is for the retail cards, unless they post otherwise. If you are not having any troubles, then don't bother. Apple frequently includes video driver updates in their OS X update releases....I'd stick with those....oh yeah!