Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shecky

Original poster
May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
i want to be able to record found environmental audio digitally and be able to get the sounds into my Mac and edit them. The sotware part i am not worried about, but I was originally going to do this with an iPod + a voice recorder add-on but i really need much better quality than that. Someone reccomended a MiniDisc Player/Recorder. Any other ideas?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
A used digital camcorder might not be all that expensive, and the sound recording capabilities of some (most?) of them are quite good given the size of the device.

minton

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2004
California
I would recommend the iriver ihp-120 together with an external mic. It can record to uncompressed wav or mp3, and you'll have no problems getting the files onto a mac. I would avoid the minidisc - even though the new Hi-MD portable players will let you record to an uncompressed digital format (instead of being stuck with atrac), you'll never be able to get those files onto a mac (the solution is far from ideal even on a pc). There is an exhaustive annotated list covering field recording devices at Vermont Folk Life Center.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.