PDA

View Full Version : iPod, car connectivity.

RandomDeadHead
Jul 30, 2004, 06:25 AM
I really hate to make a new thread for this so I will make it short.

I have an iPod and a Pioneer head unit in my car.
I would like to connect the iPod to the cd changer input on the back of my head unit.
A couple weeks ago I stumpled upon a link to iPodlounge that had a link to a company who make the cables needed to do the job, but I have lost the link.

Could someone please provide me a link to a site that has what I need.

robbieduncan
Jul 30, 2004, 06:38 AM
Here you go:

http://www.dension.com/main.php?pageid=50&topid=42

mnkeybsness
Jul 30, 2004, 07:14 AM
why not just get an iTrip instead... aren't they under $40?

or does the iTrip really suck?

sandmann41
Jul 30, 2004, 08:03 AM

connecting that way would sound so much better than a iTrip

Horrortaxi
Jul 30, 2004, 10:59 AM
Is it a newer Pioneer with the the funny blue plug for the CD changer? If so, you need their CD-RB20 (search Google) which runs $50 to $90 depending on where you get it. It has a line-through for the CD changer and an RCA in for the iPod. Wire that in, enable AUX input on your head unit, and you're good to go.

I just hardwired my iPod and here's how i did it: I wired another cigarette lighter inside the dash and plugged a Belkin charger/line out into it. The line out goes to the above mentioned CD-RB20, which goes to the head unit. The dock connector is routed back through the console and allows me to rest my iPod pretty much anywhere I want, though the cup holder seems to be the most practical place. The dock connector, by the way, is the only part of the installation you can see--and even that can tuck away out of sight.

EDIT: And the FM transmitters really do suck that bad. Anybody want to buy a used TuneCast?

Jo-Kun
Jul 30, 2004, 11:06 AM

well I've heared from some friends who all had iTrips... and sold them... you don't get any reception... even when driving a convertible with the hood open so the signal can get to the antenna without any problems...

I use a tape convertor on my old casette radio in my car... and when I have the money to buy a new one I will look for one with aux-in

Cables remain winners :-)

narco
Jul 30, 2004, 08:03 PM
iTrips aren't TOO bad; they do tend to get a tad annoying when driving through cities and having to change the station. It was also annoying having my iPod on "shuffle" mode and then one of the iTrip channels would show up as a song and change the frequency.

I bought a $99 Aiwa car stereo for my car. It has an audio input and sounds great. Plus there's free installation. Really can't beat that.

.narco

RandomDeadHead
Jul 31, 2004, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the link, but thats not the one I need. The website where I saw it was really crummy, and they only sold the cable, not the whole kit. But thanks anyway.

btw I already own a iTrip, and it SUCKS for in car usage. Great for the office stereo, but the sound quality in the car is not acceptable.

RandomDeadHead
Jul 31, 2004, 07:36 AM
So now I feel like an idiot, I found what I was looking for.

If you want to know what I was talking about, here are the links

http://www.installer.com/adapt.html

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/auxinpconv.html