Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

104832-magellan_1.jpg

Turn-by-turn GPS navigation applications for the iPhone have been a significant topic of interest since the release of iPhone OS 3.0 earlier this year enabled their deployment, and yet another of the major standalone GPS device companies has finally jumped on board. Magellan RoadMate 2010 North America [App Store, $79.99 for a limited time] appeared in the App Store over the weekend, bringing a full-featured GPS solution including text-to-speech, lane guidance, and a "OneTouch" feature for easy access to favorite destinations.

104832-magellan_2.jpg

- OneTouch Favorites Menu
The award-winning OneTouch favorites menu lets you bookmark your favorite places and searches so you can easily find them. One Touch, and you’re there!

- Spoken Street Name Guidance
Navigate confidently with spoken street names and directions at each turn so you can keep your eyes on the road.

- Highway Lane Assist
Realistic highway signs guide you into the correct lane when approaching interchanges and exits.

- 3D Landmarks
Incredible 3D images of key landmarks show you the way with stunning visual cues.

- Address Book Integration
With the touch of a button, easily navigate to any contact saved in your iPhone address book.

- In-app Music Control
Take advantage of seamless iPod integration, navigating to any destination while listening to your music.

- Find Your Car
Automatically saves your parking location so you can easily find your way back to your car.

- Pedestrian Mode
Want to find a good espresso after dinner? With pedestrian mode you can quickly find and walk to a café near your current location.

- QuickSpell Address Entry
Our highly-acclaimed QuickSpell® with SmartCity Search allows you to quickly enter addresses into the oversized keyboard. With a few touches, you narrow your location search, making destination quick, easy and error free.

- NAVTEQ Maps
Travel with confidence using NAVTEQ onboard maps. The maps are pre-loaded onto your iPhone so you can navigate worry-free. Even access your maps when your coverage fails.
Magellan has also posted dedicated pages on its site covering the features of the iPhone application and announcing that an enhanced car kit very similar to TomTom's offering is coming soon. The car kit will be compatible with both the iPhone (3G and 3GS) and iPod touch (second generation), and its capabilities will be compatible with any GPS application.

104832-magellan_3.jpg

Magellan RoadMate 2010 North America offers maps for the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico, and the company's promotional materials indicate that versions for Eastern U.S., Western U.S. and Europe should be available soon.

Article Link: 'Magellan RoadMate 2010 North America' Comes to App Store

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
competitive pricing with tom tom's app...still a bit more than some of the other apps out there. copilot live, which i use, is actually very good and less than half the price of this magellan.

methinks "for a limited time" really means "it will be free once the google app hits the store so suckers give us your money now"

ladysman

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
i'm in the market for a GPS app. so many choices now and the prices are all over the place...lol

There is also the "Ndrive" app that is $29.99. Anyone use that one?

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Says maps are sold separately. I don't see where or how much. I wonder if the initial download comes with any.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
The car kit looks very interesting. Unlike the Tom Tom kit, the mount is adjustable to fit with case or skin. Other than that, it looks to have the same features as the Tom Tom.

I wonder what is going on with Navigon and their kit? They announced a car mount as well but without the GPS. Now that two companies have a mount with a GPS enhancer, maybe Navigon is reconsidering their mount design.

room237

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Queens, NYC
Navigation screen looks awful... like a child drew it.

I've used a Magellan for work many times. I was never happy with it. When is Garmin going to join the war?

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Says maps are sold separately. I don't see where or how much. I wonder if the initial download comes with any.

Where did you read that?

On the "feature list":

NAVTEQ Maps
Travel with confidence using NAVTEQ onboard maps. The maps are pre-loaded onto your iPhone so you can navigate worry-free. Even access your maps when your coverage fails.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
As expensive as all this software continues to be, I'd just buy a Garmin if I drove regularly enough to call for this kind of thing.

sxdev

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
Navigon remains the clear-cut winner in the GPS war.

Yes, so far it has it all and as far as looking polished, it and this one are on extreme ends.

For fishing I love my Magellan. But navigon's extra-cost traffic feature rescued me big time over the weekend so so far have gotten lucky with that purchase.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
Not impressed by the app (not the Navigon killer) but the car kit is interesting if you can really use skin / case with it.

DotComCTO

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
Hmmm...Magellan is using the same NAVTEQ database as Navigon, and as pointed out already, Navigon has live traffic. Navigon seems to have all the bases covered already. Frankly, I already have Navigon's software and it works great for me!

A little too late to this party, Magellan...

--DotComCTO

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Sorry, but as long as the Google navigation app downloads the maps as needed, it is not a solution I am interested in.

S-

Pretty sure on the droid it loads the map miles in advance. You shouldnt see it interrupted at all really. Plus it still still tell you when to turn if that DID happen. But you would literally have to go 10 minutes or so without cell coverage for it to be effected.

Stately

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
NYC
Wow another company joining the fun huh? I don't know, compared to some of the other apps relating to this, i.e. Tom Tom, this one doesn't look to great but hey.

rstansby

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Navigation screen looks awful... like a child drew it.

I've used a Magellan for work many times. I was never happy with it. When is Garmin going to join the war?

I think Garmin "joined the war" when they released their own cell phone with GPS.

rstansby

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Pretty sure on the droid it loads the map miles in advance. You shouldnt see it interrupted at all really. Plus it still still tell you when to turn if that DID happen. But you would literally have to go 10 minutes or so without cell coverage for it to be effected.

The problem is, what do I do if I get lost in an area without cell phone service. Why have a GPS if it doesn't work when you most need it, at times when there may not be a gas station to stop at to ask for directions. Sure when I am in a city I will have access almost all the time. I am waiting for a GPS app that uses both locally stored maps, and maps (updates) loaded from the internet. If the map in the phone is current there would be no need to download a map, if there are changes they could be downloaded more easily than complete maps. When I am out of cell service, the maps on the phone would be better than nothing. If I have cell service then the phone could use the internet to get points of interest and such, so I'm not stuck with whatever was included with the original maps.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
The problem is, what do I do if I get lost in an area without cell phone service. Why have a GPS if it doesn't work when you most need it, at times when there may not be a gas station to stop at to ask for directions. Sure when I am in a city I will have access almost all the time. I am waiting for a GPS app that uses both locally stored maps, and maps (updates) loaded from the internet. If the map in the phone is current there would be no need to download a map, if there are changes they could be downloaded more easily than complete maps. When I am out of cell service, the maps on the phone would be better than nothing. If I have cell service then the phone could use the internet to get points of interest and such, so I'm not stuck with whatever was included with the original maps.

True, but then again, you might want to have a map of the area before you go if you know its in the boonies.

However, Verizon has a huge coverage map and you only need basic connections to load the maps. It would be pretty difficult for you to find an area normally traveled that you wouldnt have coverage. I see your point though, I guess I am not effected as I am rarely going into areas like that.

jimbnvirginia

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2009
South of Fredericksburg, VA
Map upgrades..

I currently own a Magellan stand-alone GPS, I was considering switching and purchasing one of the iPhone apps but I have not decided which one. I checked is see if there was an update for my Magellan a month ago and found that there was but they want $49.00 for the map update. If I am going to spend $49.00 for the update I am going to add a little and purchase one of the iPhone apps. I am enjoying reading these reviews and I am looking for the best deal for the $$.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I currently own a Magellan stand-alone GPS, I was considering switching and purchasing one of the iPhone apps but I have not decided which one. I checked is see if there was an update for my Magellan a month ago and found that there was but they want $49.00 for the map update. If I am going to spend $49.00 for the update I am going to add a little and purchase one of the iPhone apps. I am enjoying reading these reviews and I am looking for the best deal for the $$.

I too am waiting, I live in Spotsy county and a waiting to see if all the maps eventually change my city/zipcode. Google already has and I can't seem to find anything that states why.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.