PDA

View Full Version : 'Magellan RoadMate 2010 North America' Comes to App Store

MacRumors
Nov 16, 2009, 09:51 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/11/16/magellan-roadmate-2010-north-america-comes-to-app-store/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/11/16/104832-magellan_1.jpg

Turn-by-turn GPS navigation applications for the iPhone have been a significant topic of interest since the release of iPhone OS 3.0 earlier this year enabled their deployment, and yet another of the major standalone GPS device companies has finally jumped on board. Magellan RoadMate 2010 North America [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magellan-roadmate-2010-north-america/id339245236?mt=8), $79.99 for a limited time] appeared in the App Store over the weekend, bringing a full-featured GPS solution including text-to-speech, lane guidance, and a "OneTouch" feature for easy access to favorite destinations.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/11/16/104832-magellan_2.jpg

- OneTouch Favorites Menu
The award-winning OneTouch favorites menu lets you bookmark your favorite places and searches so you can easily find them. One Touch, and you’re there!

- Spoken Street Name Guidance
Navigate confidently with spoken street names and directions at each turn so you can keep your eyes on the road.

- Highway Lane Assist
Realistic highway signs guide you into the correct lane when approaching interchanges and exits.

- 3D Landmarks
Incredible 3D images of key landmarks show you the way with stunning visual cues.

- Address Book Integration
With the touch of a button, easily navigate to any contact saved in your iPhone address book.

- In-app Music Control
Take advantage of seamless iPod integration, navigating to any destination while listening to your music.

- Find Your Car
Automatically saves your parking location so you can easily find your way back to your car.

- Pedestrian Mode
Want to find a good espresso after dinner? With pedestrian mode you can quickly find and walk to a café near your current location.

- QuickSpell Address Entry
Our highly-acclaimed QuickSpell® with SmartCity Search allows you to quickly enter addresses into the oversized keyboard. With a few touches, you narrow your location search, making destination quick, easy and error free.

- NAVTEQ Maps
Travel with confidence using NAVTEQ onboard maps. The maps are pre-loaded onto your iPhone so you can navigate worry-free. Even access your maps when your coverage fails.Magellan has also posted dedicated pages (http://www.magellangps.com/iphone/iphoneapp.asp) on its site covering the features of the iPhone application and announcing that an enhanced car kit very similar to TomTom's offering (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/28/tomtom-car-kit-details-revealed-by-fcc/) is coming soon. The car kit will be compatible with both the iPhone (3G and 3GS) and iPod touch (second generation), and its capabilities will be compatible with any GPS application.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/11/16/104832-magellan_3.jpg

Magellan RoadMate 2010 North America offers maps for the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico, and the company's promotional materials indicate that versions for Eastern U.S., Western U.S. and Europe should be available soon.

Article Link: 'Magellan RoadMate 2010 North America' Comes to App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/11/16/magellan-roadmate-2010-north-america-comes-to-app-store/)

kugino
Nov 16, 2009, 10:07 AM
competitive pricing with tom tom's app...still a bit more than some of the other apps out there. copilot live, which i use, is actually very good and less than half the price of this magellan.

methinks "for a limited time" really means "it will be free once the google app hits the store so suckers give us your money now"

ladysman
Nov 16, 2009, 10:28 AM
i'm in the market for a GPS app. so many choices now and the prices are all over the place...lol

There is also the "Ndrive" app that is $29.99. Anyone use that one?

Detlev
Nov 16, 2009, 10:37 AM
Says maps are sold separately. I don't see where or how much. I wonder if the initial download comes with any.

bbplayer5
Nov 16, 2009, 10:47 AM
Droid = free. iPhone needs to get that free google one and be done with it.

VenusianSky
Nov 16, 2009, 10:51 AM
The car kit looks very interesting. Unlike the Tom Tom kit, the mount is adjustable to fit with case or skin. Other than that, it looks to have the same features as the Tom Tom.

I wonder what is going on with Navigon and their kit? They announced a car mount as well but without the GPS. Now that two companies have a mount with a GPS enhancer, maybe Navigon is reconsidering their mount design.

Randman
Nov 16, 2009, 10:52 AM
Navigon remains the clear-cut winner in the GPS war.

Diode
Nov 16, 2009, 11:49 AM
No traffic? I'll pass. Hopefully though it will bring pressure to drop prices :-)

room237
Nov 16, 2009, 11:52 AM
Navigation screen looks awful... like a child drew it.

I've used a Magellan for work many times. I was never happy with it. When is Garmin going to join the war?

Diode
Nov 16, 2009, 11:52 AM
Says maps are sold separately. I don't see where or how much. I wonder if the initial download comes with any.

Where did you read that?

On the "feature list":

NAVTEQ Maps
Travel with confidence using NAVTEQ onboard maps. The maps are pre-loaded onto your iPhone so you can navigate worry-free. Even access your maps when your coverage fails.

JeffTL
Nov 16, 2009, 11:54 AM
As expensive as all this software continues to be, I'd just buy a Garmin if I drove regularly enough to call for this kind of thing.

converge
Nov 16, 2009, 12:01 PM

I've used a Magellan for work many times. I was never happy with it. When is Garmin going to join the war?

Looks like it was drawn using Mspaint.

sxdev
Nov 16, 2009, 12:16 PM
Navigon remains the clear-cut winner in the GPS war.

Yes, so far it has it all and as far as looking polished, it and this one are on extreme ends.

For fishing I love my Magellan. But navigon's extra-cost traffic feature rescued me big time over the weekend so so far have gotten lucky with that purchase.

sidewinder
Nov 16, 2009, 12:22 PM
Droid = free. iPhone needs to get that free google one and be done with it.

Sorry, but as long as the Google navigation app downloads the maps as needed, it is not a solution I am interested in.

S-

Snide
Nov 16, 2009, 12:35 PM
They're more than a little late to the party, no?

VenusianSky
When is Garmin going to join the war?

Doesn't look like Garmin is going to enter the software market, for now. They are pushing their Nuvifone (Garmin Nuvi navigation unit and phone in one).

Nuvi
Not impressed by the app (not the Navigon killer) but the car kit is interesting if you can really use skin / case with it.

DotComCTO
Nov 16, 2009, 12:49 PM
Hmmm...Magellan is using the same NAVTEQ database as Navigon, and as pointed out already, Navigon has live traffic. Navigon seems to have all the bases covered already. Frankly, I already have Navigon's software and it works great for me!

A little too late to this party, Magellan...

--DotComCTO

bbplayer5
Nov 16, 2009, 01:27 PM
Sorry, but as long as the Google navigation app downloads the maps as needed, it is not a solution I am interested in.

S-

Pretty sure on the droid it loads the map miles in advance. You shouldnt see it interrupted at all really. Plus it still still tell you when to turn if that DID happen. But you would literally have to go 10 minutes or so without cell coverage for it to be effected.

Stately
Nov 16, 2009, 01:42 PM
Wow another company joining the fun huh? I don't know, compared to some of the other apps relating to this, i.e. Tom Tom, this one doesn't look to great but hey.

rstansby
Nov 16, 2009, 02:28 PM

I think Garmin "joined the war" when they released their own cell phone with GPS.

rstansby
Nov 16, 2009, 02:33 PM
Pretty sure on the droid it loads the map miles in advance. You shouldnt see it interrupted at all really. Plus it still still tell you when to turn if that DID happen. But you would literally have to go 10 minutes or so without cell coverage for it to be effected.

The problem is, what do I do if I get lost in an area without cell phone service. Why have a GPS if it doesn't work when you most need it, at times when there may not be a gas station to stop at to ask for directions. Sure when I am in a city I will have access almost all the time. I am waiting for a GPS app that uses both locally stored maps, and maps (updates) loaded from the internet. If the map in the phone is current there would be no need to download a map, if there are changes they could be downloaded more easily than complete maps. When I am out of cell service, the maps on the phone would be better than nothing. If I have cell service then the phone could use the internet to get points of interest and such, so I'm not stuck with whatever was included with the original maps.

bbplayer5
Nov 16, 2009, 04:43 PM
The problem is, what do I do if I get lost in an area without cell phone service. Why have a GPS if it doesn't work when you most need it, at times when there may not be a gas station to stop at to ask for directions. Sure when I am in a city I will have access almost all the time. I am waiting for a GPS app that uses both locally stored maps, and maps (updates) loaded from the internet. If the map in the phone is current there would be no need to download a map, if there are changes they could be downloaded more easily than complete maps. When I am out of cell service, the maps on the phone would be better than nothing. If I have cell service then the phone could use the internet to get points of interest and such, so I'm not stuck with whatever was included with the original maps.

True, but then again, you might want to have a map of the area before you go if you know its in the boonies.

However, Verizon has a huge coverage map and you only need basic connections to load the maps. It would be pretty difficult for you to find an area normally traveled that you wouldnt have coverage. I see your point though, I guess I am not effected as I am rarely going into areas like that.

jimbnvirginia
Nov 16, 2009, 06:02 PM
I currently own a Magellan stand-alone GPS, I was considering switching and purchasing one of the iPhone apps but I have not decided which one. I checked is see if there was an update for my Magellan a month ago and found that there was but they want $49.00 for the map update. If I am going to spend $49.00 for the update I am going to add a little and purchase one of the iPhone apps. I am enjoying reading these reviews and I am looking for the best deal for the $$.

diamond.g
Nov 17, 2009, 11:20 AM
I currently own a Magellan stand-alone GPS, I was considering switching and purchasing one of the iPhone apps but I have not decided which one. I checked is see if there was an update for my Magellan a month ago and found that there was but they want $49.00 for the map update. If I am going to spend $49.00 for the update I am going to add a little and purchase one of the iPhone apps. I am enjoying reading these reviews and I am looking for the best deal for the $$.

I too am waiting, I live in Spotsy county and a waiting to see if all the maps eventually change my city/zipcode. Google already has and I can't seem to find anything that states why.

tknelson
Nov 17, 2009, 11:24 AM

10 minutes? Try 10 hours or 10 days.

I'm so tired of this argument. I also need maps in the device: plain and simple. I am currently living in France near Geneva. I have a French iPhone on Orange, but I am often in Switzerland, or Germany, or Italy (all would be $$$ data roaming) or wandering around the alpine countryside, where there is NO coverage and you REALLY want to be able to get around without getting lost.

In the US, I can see the Google solution for a lot of people, especially those that don't venture from metro areas. (For the record, "home" for us is actually in the Bay Area.) However, if you travel a lot to places where you will be data roaming (describes most Europeans, since most people live only a short drive from another country) then the maps need to be in the device. Enough said.

dagomike
Nov 17, 2009, 11:56 AM
They're more than a little late to the party, no?

Nah. The whole GPS app thing is pretty fluid. We're getting updates almost every other week on all these apps. The party is just starting.

maggie-macrumor
Nov 17, 2009, 01:59 PM
If you have any questions, please let me know!

maggie-macrumor
Nov 17, 2009, 05:17 PM
Magellan(R) Complete Turn-By-Turn Navigation App Now Available on the App Store

Innovative vehicle mounting cradle for iPhone(R) and iPod touch(R) devices also introduced

SANTA CLARA, Calif., Nov. 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Magellan, one of the leading GPS brands, today announced its Magellan RoadMate® turn-by-turn navigation app is now available from the App Store. Magellan also announced the introduction of a new innovative vehicle mounting cradle for the iPhone and iPod touch devices that will be available in December. The Premium Car Kit offers charging capabilities and provides an elegant car mounting and charging solution for the iPhone device. The cradle adds a GPS receiver for improved navigation accuracy, an amplified speaker for crystal clear directions and enhanced phone call clarity, and Bluetooth® to enable hands-free calling.

"The Magellan RoadMate App provides users instant access to Magellan's innovative, easy-to-use OneTouch(TM) interface, including: vehicle and pedestrian routing, in-app music control, native address book integration and turn-by-turn guidance including Text-to-Speech, all in one integrated and unique navigation experience," said Peggy Fong, chief operating officer for Magellan.

Magellan RoadMate App features Magellan's exclusive OneTouch user menu, allowing users to store addresses and personalized searches on one convenient page and easily access them with a single tap. Additionally, the app gives drivers the freedom to choose from a list of route options such as fastest time, shortest distance, most use of highways, or least use of highways to customize the navigation experience.
Other features of the Magellan RoadMate App include:

Preloaded: App and maps are stored on the iPhone or iPod touch devices, allowing navigation to continue even when no cellular coverage is available.
Turn-By-Turn Guidance: Announces maneuvers prior to the turn, enabling users to keep their eyes on the road.
Text-to-Speech: Hear spoken street names with every voice direction to have a clear understanding of when to make the next turn while you keep your eyes on the road.
Millions of Points of Interest (POIs): Users have access to 6 million POIs at the touch of their fingertips, including gas stations, restaurants, ATMs, emergency services, shopping and other destinations.
Oversized Keyboard with QuickSpell®: Our highly acclaimed QuickSpell with SmartCity search lets you enter addresses in a few touches by narrowing your location search.
3D landmarks: Realistic 3D renderings of key landmarks show the way with stunning visual cues.
Highway Lane Assistance: See realistic views of highway signs with clearly displayed lane arrows to help navigate complicated interchanges by positioning the driver in the proper lane for upcoming maneuvers.
Pedestrian Mode: Allows users to easily navigate locations on foot.
Find Your Car: Automatically stores your parking location so you can easily find your way back to your car.
In-App Music Control: Users can control their music directly from the application so they never have to leave the app to access their music.
Native Address/Contact Book: With the touch of a button, users can simply navigate to destinations from stored addresses in the device's address book.
NAVTEQ On-Board: Map data provided by NAVTEQ, the world leader in digital mapping data and content.
The Magellan RoadMate App (U.S. & Canada maps) is available for an introductory price of $79.99 from the App Store on iPhone and iPod touch devices or at iTunes Store (http://www.itunes.com/appstore/). The MSRP for the car kit will be $129.99.

About MiTAC Digital Corporation
MiTAC Digital Corp. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of MiTAC International Corporation and promotes and sells products and services under the Magellan brand name. Magellan assists people to travel, work and play their way with leading portable navigation and positioning solutions across multiple consumer markets. Recognized as an industry innovator, the company is the producer of the award-winning Magellan RoadMate, and Maestro series portable car navigation systems, as well as the Magellan Triton® outdoor handheld navigation devices. MiTAC Digital Corp. is headquartered in Santa Clara, Calif. For more information on Magellan, rfinelli@magellangps.com visit Magellan GPS-Your favorites at your fingertips! (http://www.magellangps.com).
© 2009 MiTAC Digital Corp. The Magellan logo, Magellan, RoadMate, QuickSpell, Triton are registered trademarks of MiTAC International Corporation and OneTouch, Maestro are trademarks of MiTAC International Corporation and are used under license by MiTAC Digital Corp. Apple, iPhone, iPod, iPod Touch, and iTunes are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. All rights reserved. Navteq On Board is a trademark of Navteq Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Jape
Nov 18, 2009, 01:59 PM
geez $129.99 for their car kit, and people were complaining about tomtom's price for their car kit :eek: I was actually looking forward to this kit being competitive with tomtom's in price. Sigh....

0B1
Nov 21, 2009, 09:32 AM
The car kit looks very interesting. Unlike the Tom Tom kit, the mount is adjustable to fit with case or skin. Other than that, it looks to have the same features as the Tom Tom.

I wonder what is going on with Navigon and their kit? They announced a car mount as well but without the GPS. Now that two companies have a mount with a GPS enhancer, maybe Navigon is reconsidering their mount design.

I dont use a case, but i am concerned that the fit of the TT car kit might mean its not future proof against a change in form factor on new iPhones. The Magellan kit would hopefully take care of this.

wrt the navigon mount it has already been released check their website. But at £35 for a basic mount it makes the TT look reasonably priced!

I too am disappointed by the price.

stockscalper
Nov 22, 2009, 07:15 PM
Maggie, I'm happy to see Magellan come to the party. Your app looks really great for a first offering. Frankly, I don't care for the Atari looking (ie, simplistic 8 bit graphics) or the green color shading. Do you have the capability of changing the color scheme as an option? And will the graphics be updated in a future release? Thanks.

mikec5vert
Nov 27, 2009, 11:33 AM
I have heard 3 users can use same Tomtom for iPhone.
Does anyone know how many can use for Magellan?
Thanks,
-Mike