PDA

View Full Version : Changes to the Apple Education store

johnnyjibbs
Jul 30, 2004, 09:37 AM
Hi there,

Well I bought AirPort Express on the education online store on 13 July and it had a shipping date of August 12th (I should have known demand would be high!).

However, now I can't access the education store because I'm at home and not on my university's network. (I'm still elligable though because I'm still a student, it's just out of term time).

This means I can no longer check the status of my order. The good news, however, is that I've had an email saying it has shipped (on the 27th July) so it should be here early next week.

Note that this is the UK education apple store (I haven't checked the US one) but I'm just warning people that Apple appears to have tightened its act regarding the education store. But this move inconveniences people like me who then can't check the status, etc of the orders. (It also means, my brother will not be able to order his iBook until he has actually arrived and started uni this september - however, hopefully that'll mean he can get an updated one).

Zaty
Jul 30, 2004, 09:52 AM
I just checked the Swiss Edu store. I can access it as always. So either it's only a UK thing, or they just haven't changed access to the Swiss store yet. It would be weird if you had to order within the uni network.

SilentPanda
Jul 30, 2004, 09:53 AM
Weird. The U.S. Apple store works even if you aren't on your college network (I know because my college network is... oh... 5 states away from me!). Usually I check my order by just logging into my account from the normal Apple store (less clicks) but I can also check my order from http://www.apple.com/OrderStaus if I know the order number and my zip code.

I just order an Airport Express this morning and it has a ship date of on or before 8/20. Ah well... I don't really *need* it anyhow... :)

wdlove
Jul 30, 2004, 01:55 PM
Weird. The U.S. Apple store works even if you aren't on your college network (I know because my college network is... oh... 5 states away from me!). Usually I check my order by just logging into my account from the normal Apple store (less clicks) but I can also check my order from http://www.apple.com/OrderStaus if I know the order number and my zip code.

I just order an Airport Express this morning and it has a ship date of on or before 8/20. Ah well... I don't really *need* it anyhow... :)

It worked the same way for me. I ordered at the Apple Education Store at my local Apple Store. Then I could easily check on the status of my order at home.

mklos
Jul 30, 2004, 06:27 PM
As far as I know, Apple USA doesn't even do any background checking to see if you're a student, or faculty member. They haven't for years. I've ordered stuff for home through the US Edu. Apple Online Store and was able to check it at home, ship it to my house and everything. So maybe Apple US is a little more laid back.

This wouldn't be very moral, but I guess you could get an educational discount not being a student or faculty member and get away with it. I work for a school as a Technician so that makes be eligible for edu discounts as a staff member.

iEric
Jul 30, 2004, 07:43 PM
The Canadian Apple Edu site works...Thank god - without it, I wouldn't have gotten the new iPod and Powerbook :)

Abstract
Jul 30, 2004, 08:07 PM
Okay how sure are you that the UK Apple Edu store isn't accessible through the typical methods?

It works in Oz as well. Generally, all the stores are set up very similarly. If I were you, I'd check it again. ;)

cheekyspanky
Jul 30, 2004, 08:59 PM
I've just checked out the page that links you to the edu store and it appears it's been updated slightly. Your problem is your trying to access what was previously known as The National Contract store which is now the top link, this is only available over Uni networks (or via the Uni's proxy settings) and only certain uni's (well it used to be, not sure if anythings changed recently)- such as Portsmouth where I am. This store offered the iBook deal at 50 less than the normal edu store, and the prices are lower on all computers, but not iPods, Airport Express etc

The normal education store is now the third link down!