PDA

View Full Version : DVD Burner

JzzTrump22
Jul 30, 2004, 10:13 AM
I am starting to regret that i didn't get the superdrive with my new powerbook. I have a lot of big files on my computer and the only way to get the off is to put them on dvd's. Is it possible to hook up an external dvd burner. I heard this wasn't possible from a few posts i've read but i don't know for sure. If anyone could recommend one that doesn't cost too much. Just need something that will do it's job and not die on me for a few years. Thanks.

ftaok
Jul 30, 2004, 10:28 AM
I am starting to regret that i didn't get the superdrive with my new powerbook. I have a lot of big files on my computer and the only way to get the off is to put them on dvd's. Is it possible to hook up an external dvd burner. I heard this wasn't possible from a few posts i've read but i don't know for sure. If anyone could recommend one that doesn't cost too much. Just need something that will do it's job and not die on me for a few years. Thanks.
External DVD burners will work. Just find one that works with Macs. Find a brand like LaCie or OWC.

What won't work is burning DVDs through iDVD. iDVD is designed to work with internal Superdrives. There is a patch out there that will allow certain external DVD drives to be used with iDVD.

Oh, and make sure the unit you buy has either a Firewire or USB2 interface. USB1.1 would be extremely slow.

JzzTrump22
Jul 30, 2004, 11:42 AM
Ok thanks for the tip. I know not to buy USB1. My friend has it and file transfer to his computer is extremly s-l-o-w. Is there an alternitive program that i could use. If not, i'll just find the patch somewhere. Thanks!

rainman::|:|
Jul 30, 2004, 11:52 AM
Ok thanks for the tip. I know not to buy USB1. My friend has it and file transfer to his computer is extremly s-l-o-w. Is there an alternitive program that i could use. If not, i'll just find the patch somewhere. Thanks!

It sounds like you'll want to burn a data DVD, not a fully-functional video DVD; so you shouldn't need to use iDVD at all... Otherwise, if you're already using iDVD and want to burn a video disc, sorry...

paul

JzzTrump22
Jul 30, 2004, 11:55 AM
It's mostly going to be for data. I don't think i will need to burn video. But it's alsways nice to be able to do. I came across the IOmega burner which doesn't seem to bad.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=83899&CatId=483