PDA

View Full Version : powerbook g4 question

bigrobb
Nov 16, 2009, 04:43 PM
I am needing a cheap laptop basically just for emails, surfing the web, storing photos, maybe a little music, and writing some papers for school. I know somebody that wants to sell me an old powerbook g4 for around the 250.00 range. Its has ilife 09 and microsoft office 08 my question is I am still kinda new to using apple computers was that a pretty good laptop for that price.

MrCheeto
Nov 16, 2009, 04:49 PM
It sounds good, depending on:

A: Condition- Most PowerBooks (unless they are titanium as denoted by a BLACK keyboard) will have dings and bends, some to the point that they may inhibit certain functions of the laptop!

B: Model- They range greatly considering how long that line ran. When you have the opportunity to get the information post the processor speed and any other information. Processor speed will typically look like "1.3ghz"

These are typically GREAT for all that you listed, however one of the only downsides I've spotted in my years of repairing mine and my friends' computers is that the PowerPC line of Macs is inherently naughty when it comes to Flash playback (i.e. Youtube videos) The performance then can be VERY choppy and the computer can become uncomfortably hot because Flash will use the CPU full throttle.

Besides that, these are GREAT machines and I feel they have a number of years ahead of them.

bigrobb
Nov 16, 2009, 08:18 PM
the processor is 1.5ghz, it has 80gb hard drive, 768 mb ram.

MrCheeto
Nov 16, 2009, 08:22 PM
OK if that is the 15 inch model that sounds just fine for your purposes, but as always ask the seller to try it out in person first so that you don't have any surprises ;)

GoCubsGo
Nov 16, 2009, 08:31 PM
Does all of iLife 09 run on a PPC?
Anyway, I'm using one right now and it's prefect for your needs.

MrCheeto
Nov 16, 2009, 09:05 PM
iLife System Requirements

Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor
iMovie requires an Intel-based Mac, Power Mac G5 (dual 2.0GHz or faster), or iMac G5 (1.9GHz or faster).
GarageBand Learn to Play requires an Intel-based Mac with a dual-core processor or better.
512MB of RAM; 1GB recommended. High-definition video requires at least 1GB of RAM.
Approximately 4GB of available disk space
DVD drive required for installation
Mac OS X v10.5.6 or later
QuickTime 7.5.5 or later (included)
AVCHD video requires a Mac with an Intel Core Duo processor or better. Visit iMovie Camcorder Support for details on digital video device and format support.
24-bit recording in GarageBand requires a Mac OS X-compatible audio interface with support for 24-bit audio. Please consult the owner’s manual or manufacturer directly for audio device specifications and compatibility.
Some features require Internet access and/or MobileMe; additional fees and terms apply. MobileMe is available to persons age 13 and older. Annual subscription fee and Internet access required. Terms of service apply.
iPhoto print products are available in the U.S., Canada, Japan, and select countries in Europe and Asia Pacific.
GarageBand Artist Lessons are sold separately and are available directly through the GarageBand Lesson Store in select countries.
Burning DVDs requires an Apple SuperDrive or compatible third-party DVD burner.
Flickr service is available only in select countries.

joepunk
Nov 16, 2009, 09:37 PM
I'm still using my G4 Powerbook (see sig. for details). I have had to replace the hard drive and screen (white spots). Other than those things it is still a good machine to use for the basics and then some.

Dizzler
Nov 17, 2009, 06:16 PM
I'm still using my G4 Powerbook (see sig. for details). I have had to replace the hard drive and screen (white spots). Other than those things it is still a good machine to use for the basics and then some.

Me too. I bought mine in '05. I upped the RAM to 1.25. The only problem with this one is that videos really tax the cpu. The fan starts right away, and it gets pretty warm. Other than that, I love the darn thing. I even dropped it one day while in my briefcase and the top got dented. Still dragging it all over the world and it never lets me down.

MrCheeto
Nov 17, 2009, 06:49 PM
That's what is so unique about Apple computers, they don't become head-smacking slow when you upgrade the OS and such. Hell I can't believe some of the machines that can run Leopard!

Anyway, that's the number one problem as I stated before. Flash and graphic intensive processes will get your G4 up to cooking temp in no time, bring eggs :P

joepunk
Nov 17, 2009, 08:57 PM
... I know somebody that wants to sell me an old powerbook g4 for around the 250.00 range. Its has ilife 09 and microsoft office 08 my question is I am still kinda new to using apple computers was that a pretty good laptop for that price.

Make sure it comes with the operating disks and other software disks.

MrCheeto
Nov 17, 2009, 09:03 PM
Yes the first thing you will want to do is reinstall the system. Also get with someone who has experience and ask which OS is best for this model. As far as I know, Leopard can turn these into real slugs.