Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vgoklani

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2004
Hi,

I just picked up a Mac Mini Server, and I couldn't find the Bootcamp setup program in the utilities folder. Is Bootcamp supposed to come with Snow Leopard Server?

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Hi,

I just picked up a Mac Mini Server, and I couldn't find the Bootcamp setup program in the utilities folder. Is Bootcamp supposed to come with Snow Leopard Server?

I can't imagine why it would. Boot Camp is for consumers who don't know how to partition drives and setup another operating system on it.

Why would you want to defile your new Mini with Windows? If you're going to do that, at least virtualize it.

vgoklani

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2004
unfortunatly there are certain things that only run on windows :(

I do need the bootcamp drivers, and I don't want to dig through bit-torrent to steal them!

CorporateFelon

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
Boston, MA
Echoing a post in the past from another thread that I cant find at the moment.

Servers are meant to be on all the time, with boot camp you will need to shut down and boot into another operating system. Why would you want to take down your server for these instances?

Another vote for virtualization.

vgoklani

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2004
virtualization is too slow. yes i've tried Fusion 3, it's overhyped.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
You don't need bootcamp to get Windows installed. Disk Utility supports live repartitioning.

1. Repartition
2. Download the Bootcamp drivers from Apple (I know the XP ones are available)
3. Put your Windows install CD in
4. Reboot and hold option, select the Windows Install
5. Install Windows
6. Install Drivers
7. Done

Without using bootcamp.

EDIT: I wrote this and decided to see if there was a guide out there. http://derekhat.com/install-vista-on-a-macbook-without-bootcamp/

That is almost exactly what I described, but it has images! One thing I forgot that the article mentions, you can install the Drivers from the OS X DVD. So if you have a standard Snow Leopard installl DVD you can install the drivers from there and skip the download step (I don't even know if Vista and 7 drivers are available from Apple. Here are the XP drivers: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL830)

The drivers *might* be on the SLS DVD. Try it when you get Windows installed. I am sure some would like to know if the drivers are there.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
You don't need bootcamp to get Windows installed. Disk Utility supports live repartitioning.

What good is it though? You still have to reboot in order to use Windows. Perhaps you are thinking of running virtualization on a dedicated partition?

Echoing CorporateFelon - Servers are not meant to be rebooted unless you are doing updates or you have a crash of some sort. There is zero point to running Boot Camp in a server scenario since you would be constantly taking your server down. That's why you have virtualization - so that you do not have to compromise your server solution. If you are going to be running windows with any frequency with OSX server, you are going to either need a dedicated box to run windows on it or do virtualization. Otherwise I question the need to run OSX server - taking down your server is never a good idea if all you need to do is run Windows.

My recommendation:

If you are operating a server environment:
1) Get a dedicated Windows Box
2) Virtualization - expecially if you just need to run a few apps.
3) Doing the above or running boot camp on your client desktop and not on the server

If you are not operating a server environment:
1) Run Boot camp on the client OSX - Server OS is being wasted since it is not intended to run as a client desktop - things are different.
2) Virtualize.

Rebooting your sever OS in a production environment where resources are needed full time should always be a last case scenario. If this is not the case - then I question the OP's need to be running OSX server in the first place.

If you really need Windows and performance to boot - running it on a client machine is best - constantly rebooting a server is a waste of an OS.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
What good is it though? You still have to reboot in order to use Windows. Perhaps you are thinking of running virtualization on a dedicated partition?

What good is it? As good as the utility it offers to the OP.

I wasn't thinking about anything except for giving him an alternative solution; namely that Bootcamp isn't really necessary and he can run Windows the way he wants.

If I was thinking of a dedicated partition for virtualization, I would have said that.

Echoing CorporateFelon - Servers are not meant to be rebooted unless you are doing updates or you have a crash of some sort. There is zero point to running Boot Camp in a server scenario since you would be constantly taking your server down. That's why you have virtualization - so that you do not have to compromise your server solution. If you are going to be running windows with any frequency with OSX server, you are going to either need a dedicated box to run windows on it or do virtualization. Otherwise I question the need to run OSX server - taking down your server is never a good idea if all you need to do is run Windows.

No one is disputing this. If you are relying on the server it doesn't make sense to take it down. That wasn't what the OP asked about, is it?

My recommendation:

If you are operating a server environment:
1) Get a dedicated Windows Box
2) Virtualization - expecially if you just need to run a few apps.
3) Doing the above or running boot camp on your client desktop and not on the server

If you are not operating a server environment:
1) Run Boot camp on the client OSX - Server OS is being wasted since it is not intended to run as a client desktop - things are different.
2) Virtualize.

Great recommendations, except, I am guessing you mean production environment. In which case, if he is not in one he can do whatever he wants with his server. Which includes booting in Windows.

Rebooting your sever OS in a production environment where resources are needed full time should always be a last case scenario. If this is not the case - then I question the OP's need to be running OSX server in the first place.

If you really need Windows and performance to boot - running it on a client machine is best - constantly rebooting a server is a waste of an OS.

I don't see how it is a "waste of an OS." What if someone is serving with OS X client? Are they wasting their OS by booting into Windows?

The OP asked if Bootcamp was supposed to come on OS X Server. For obvious reasons, it does not. If he wants to do a Bootcamp solution, who are we to say he shouldn't. Neither of your scenarios allowed for this and the non-production scenario should allow for the OP to have a Bootcamp solution. What if he is simply playing around in OS X Server for fun?

Too many assumptions here. Answer the question. No, Bootcmap doesn't come with OS X Server for the reasons that have been repeated ad nauseam here. However, you don't need Bootcamp which is what my post was explaining.

I think the OP gets the point and he can decide for himself.

janh

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
what's idiotic is not including Bootcamp

Server OSX should be a superset of OSX. It's that simple.

I bought a Mac Mini with 2 hard drives for Windows software development. Don't have an immediate need for the server features, but just wanted to use it as a high end compact workstation. Liked the hardware. It ships with OSX Server. Now I may have to take it back :(

It's best to ship a standard product and let customers figure out how they want to use it, instead of selectively leaving stuff out because the machine was designed with a particular use case in mind.

Anybody would assume that SL Server should be a superset of SL. Now I think we just have no idea what features will be in it and what features have been left out.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Bad assumption. Why should a server OS or hardware be a superset when for its designed use it doesn't need so many client features? It's wishful thinking that you can buy a server computer and have it be a fully-functional workstation. It doesn't happen if you buy a Dell server, for instance. Last time I saw a Windows Server OS it wasn't pretty. And if you want Ubuntu Linux the server version doesn't even have a GUI!

Every feature is there that you need for a server, which is what Apple advertises it to be used. See http://www.apple.com/macmini/server/

Server OSX should be a superset of OSX. It's that simple.

Anybody would assume that SL Server should be a superset of SL. Now I think we just have no idea what features will be in it and what features have been left out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.