PDA

View Full Version : can i use a digital camera as a cf reader?

letterbox
Jul 30, 2004, 03:07 PM
can i use a digital camera as a cf reader? i want to get the .wav files off of this cf card of my band.

or do i need to get a cf reader? if so, i'll just wait 'til they guy who is recording mixes it down, i just wanted to mess w/it.

jacobj
Jul 30, 2004, 03:18 PM
can i use a digital camera as a cf reader? i want to get the .wav files off of this cf card of my band.

or do i need to get a cf reader? if so, i'll just wait 'til they guy who is recording mixes it down, i just wanted to mess w/it.

When you plug your camera in to OSX is should recognise it as a sotrage devive that you can access through the finder in the way you would a cd or an extranal hard drive

letterbox
Jul 30, 2004, 03:24 PM
hmm..it doesnt' do this

i have a canon a80, and i can pull photos off it thru iphoto just fine and access it via image capture, but it's not mounted or anything as a storage device.

jxyama
Jul 30, 2004, 03:42 PM
i've never seen the actual camera mount. if image capture can't see it, then it may not be accessible. (i do know that under XP, some cameras do mount...)

one thing you can try is use the Terminal and see if the camera is mounted as a hidden drive... open Terminal and type "ls -a /Volume"

otherwise, CF readers work well. i have one and since then, i haven't bothered using the USB cable to connect the camera at all...

jxyama
Jul 30, 2004, 03:56 PM

krimson
Jul 30, 2004, 03:59 PM
depends on the camera.

my nikon mounts (i never use iPhoto) the card on the desktop, so i can open it like a drive.

AssassinOfGates
Jul 30, 2004, 04:07 PM
My HP Photosmart 435 will mount either as a normal camera or a storage device, it's all in the setup menu. About the only good feature on the camera I'm afraid.

jacobj
Jul 30, 2004, 04:26 PM
hmm..it doesnt' do this

i have a canon a80, and i can pull photos off it thru iphoto just fine and access it via image capture, but it's not mounted or anything as a storage device.

Because I'm a nice bloke, I looked at the Canon website for you and found that you are pretty much screwed.

Canon used to support USB mounting for Mac, but don't now because "USB Mounter is not compatible with Mac OS X in Native or Classic Mode and will not be updated due to Mac OS X's Image Capture drivers and PTP Mode support that include most of the same functions".

In other words, Canon think that it's not worth the effort. What a nice bunch!

Go here for details: http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=OSCompatibilitySupportAct&keycode=macdr&fcategoryid=221&modelid=9449