PDA

View Full Version : I'm not a criminal but...

Penman
Jul 30, 2004, 05:00 PM
I'm not a criminal but I need to find a font (or the font) that's used on credit cards for the embossed type. I'm designing a fake credit card for a website design and can't seem to find it via google. If it's not the right font the whole thing looks wrong. Any idea what it's called and/or where I might buy it?

Thanks in advance.

themadchemist
Jul 30, 2004, 05:04 PM
I'm afraid I can't offer much help, but I think it's safe to say that your "I'm not a criminal but..." title is sure to catch a lot of people's attention.

Vector
Jul 30, 2004, 05:30 PM
Try to find MICR and OCRA. Both fonts are made by adobe. The MICR font looks like the MICR numbers on the bottom of a check, but OCRA is probably a bit closer to what you need.

Or you could just search for some typewriter type fonts.

wdlove
Jul 30, 2004, 09:17 PM
I'm afraid I can't offer much help, but I think it's safe to say that your "I'm not a criminal but..." title is sure to catch a lot of people's attention.

That's what caught my attention. Was wondering what the but would be about. Also knowing that I'm not a criminal.

kaylie_kipe
Jul 31, 2004, 10:24 PM
When I saw the "but..." part I wanted to see what you were doing that maybe you shouldn't be doing. But now that I know you're not doing anything bad I'm sorry to tell you that I cannot help. Sorry.

rainman::|:|
Jul 31, 2004, 11:07 PM
Interestingly enough the most recent MacWorld includes an article about a designer that did the American Express ads, showing how he rendered them in 3D... but alas, it does not mention the font used. The designer is Rob Magiera of Noumena Digital ( http://www.studionoumena.com ). You might try contacting him, and picking up a copy of the MacWorld for tips on creating the card...

paul

Counterfit
Aug 1, 2004, 12:43 AM
But now that I know you're not doing anything bad I'm sorry to tell you that I cannot help. Are you saying that if he was trying to do something illegal you'd help him? ;) :D

broken_keyboard
Aug 1, 2004, 03:18 AM
I'm not a criminal but...does anyone know how to remove fingerprints from a 9mm Beretta? Thanks. :eek:

virividox
Aug 1, 2004, 03:25 AM
I'm not a criminal but...does anyone know how to remove fingerprints from a 9mm Beretta? Thanks. :eek:

just change the grip thats fingerprint resistant :)

Savage Henry
Aug 1, 2004, 03:38 AM
For what it's worth I very much doubt you'll be able to get one because the 'V's in Visa cards are deliberately skewed to make the first line vertical rather than the traditional symetric representation as a deliberate design act against fraud. I'm not a criminal myself but I thought you might like to know that.

broken_keyboard
Aug 1, 2004, 03:49 AM
just change the grip thats fingerprint resistant :)

Ah...great thanks. I don't suppose you also know how to remove all traces of DNA from an area? Thanks. :)

themadchemist
Aug 1, 2004, 10:37 AM
For what it's worth I very much doubt you'll be able to get one because the 'V's in Visa cards are deliberately skewed to make the first line vertical rather than the traditional symetric representation as a deliberate design act against fraud. I'm not a criminal myself but I thought you might like to know that.

In that case, could he scan a couple of his own credit cards in, extract the letters, and jumble them up for his purposes?

pooky
Aug 1, 2004, 11:33 AM
Ah...great thanks. I don't suppose you also know how to remove all traces of DNA from an area? Thanks. :)

Napalm.

themadchemist
Aug 1, 2004, 01:54 PM
Napalm.

Actually, a heavy sprinkling of DNase might be a little more effective. I'm sure chemical companies sell them.

homerjward
Aug 1, 2004, 02:37 PM
umm...not a criminal (of course) but does anyone know where you can get those lock picks that explode in the lock? those are awesome...

homerjward
Aug 1, 2004, 02:37 PM
just kidding

iMeowbot
Aug 1, 2004, 02:57 PM
Any idea what it's called and/or where I might buy it?
You want Farrington 7B. It's sometimes also called OCR 7B. It's really not the same as OCR-A, major differences are in the 1 and 8.

If the font is hard to find, you can snarf decent representations from the PDF available from http://www.recoscript.com/english/srs-classi.htm

kaylie_kipe
Aug 1, 2004, 03:00 PM

Some ammonia or windex should work fine. ;) DNA though? I have no clue. Good luck with that one!

jared_kipe
Aug 1, 2004, 03:04 PM
Some ammonia or windex should work fine.

I agree.

As for exploding lockpicks, we call that small amount of plastic explosive. Of course most locks don't open that way, you either have to blow it completely off or cut the locking ring. If you damage the middle but don't sever it, it won't open.

Penman
Aug 2, 2004, 06:41 AM
Try to find MICR and OCRA. Both fonts are made by adobe. The MICR font looks like the MICR numbers on the bottom of a check, but OCRA is probably a bit closer to what you need.

Or you could just search for some typewriter type fonts.

Thanks for all the help and the comedy too. I'm close enough now. The numbers in OCR-A look good and the differences don't destroy the effect. cheers.