Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
OK, so I get back home from visiting a friend and there is some creepy guy in my apartment stealing my stuff! Running past me and my friend we chase after him but couldn't find him. We get back to my apartment and my 3 week old powerbook is gone. :mad: It's been 2 weeks now and the police haven't found him.

The question is...

my dad ordered me a new powerbook from http://macfanaticshop.com/ and I was wondering if anyone has ordered from here before. Couple of days after ordering it, they site is temporarily down. We got no conformation for the order. Does anyone know if this is a legit online store?

ebook

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2004
Sprint Car Capital of the World
I'm not one 100% sure, but I think that this is the site that I have heard about on here that is a scam. You might try searching the forums for more info on that place by looking for "macfanatic" or something.

Sorry for possibly being the bearer of bad news.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Better check on the payment method. :eek:

MacFanaticShop is a fraud! Website to prove
If the buyer wires the payment, MacFanaticShop will employ delay tactics, claiming the buyer's emails were not received, the customer database had been hacked, the product is backordered, etc. and eventually simply stop returning calls or emails. The buyer will not receive the products purchased.

manosira

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2004
SOMA - S.F. - Cali
I assume your father paid by credit card, if so I would suggest him to put the payment on hold or have his credit card company stop payment, or as a last resort report it stolen. Then you can figure out if that sight is legit or not. :(

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Well, my dad called the credit card company and they said that it hasn't been charged yet. He's going to call back tomorrow once everythings is open, and have them stop the transfer if they decide to try to pull the money out. This totally sucks, first my precious powerbook gets brutally stolen from my desk... and now possible money loss. All I wanted was my computer back! with the dents and all... :(

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
im very sorry to hear this, that completely sucks. but once you get a new one, id suggest investing in a kensington slim microsaver lock (you can get them at the apple store online) its only $40 and it will prevent someone from just snatching your precious PB. i always use one when im in an apt (or freshman year when i was in a dorm)

Maxx Power

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2003
dorqiekat said:
OK, so I get back home from visiting a friend and there is some creepy guy in my apartment stealing my stuff! Running past me and my friend we chase after him but couldn't find him. We get back to my apartment and my 3 week old powerbook is gone. :mad: It's been 2 weeks now and the police haven't found him.

The question is...

my dad ordered me a new powerbook from http://macfanaticshop.com/ and I was wondering if anyone has ordered from here before. Couple of days after ordering it, they site is temporarily down. We got no conformation for the order. Does anyone know if this is a legit online store?

Where do you live ? just out of curiosity to avoid that location...

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
wPod said:
im very sorry to hear this, that completely sucks. but once you get a new one, id suggest investing in a kensington slim microsaver lock (you can get them at the apple store online) its only $40 and it will prevent someone from just snatching your precious PB. i always use one when im in an apt (or freshman year when i was in a dorm)

The good news is, my dad isn't completely pissed at me for emailing the web site asking him to buy. I'm a second year college student and the the bookstore on campus has a mini-apple store. So, the better news is, I'll be getting a powerbook there and the kensington lock.. only $20 at school. I'm going to chain my powerbook to my bed and desk. Annoying for me, but more annoying for the next law breaker that climbs into my bedroom window!

Maxx Power said:
Where do you live ? just out of curiosity to avoid that location...

Funny this question. I'm in Riverside, CA. I live across the street from the police department. Odd.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Across from a Police station? Sorry dude, hope everything gets better. :) (they can't get any worse!!)

And when your PB was stolen, did your father have to pay for a second PB for you, or was it covered under home or laptop insurance? I'm just asking because normally, there has to be proof that someone broke in for insurance to kick in, so if the thief actually broke the window to get in, I'm guessing that it's covered under insurance. If there's no proof of forced entry, then you're ucked.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
I don't have laptop insurance nor home insurance... I had just moved into my apartment 6 weeks ago. All the lights in the apartment was on, the doors were locked, but the window was unlocked (but closed). The police came for finger prints and such.. Yes, dad will be paying for the next powerbook. I put in some money for the first one, so I'm bone dry for this one. THe police arrived quickly... no question. But when we were chasing after the robber, we were screaming at the top of our lungs. We live in an apartment complex.. someone had to have heard. Can we say... bystander effect?? There was this guy in my class that heard us screaming, he said that he tried to get out but his sliding door was stuck. We believe he was trying to get out to the patio to watch. He lives on the second floor, and instead of going out the front door, he tries to get to the patio? hello? :confused:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Hope things start to go right soon. At least, they were too busy (or in jail and unable) to get money. Hope they find the robber. My apartment was one of 200 separate apartments/homes which were robbed years ago. They caught him and put him away for a while. I even got one piece of electronic equipment back, though other things were long gone, up his nose.

I wonder if MacFanaticShop is part of the Infinity circle of imaginary dealers--they don't sell computers and cameras. It's unfortunate there are so many scumbags in this world. :(

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
are you under 25? just wondering because i was wondering if i should get renters insurance for my place when i moved in, so naturally i asked my parents, they called their insurance agent about it, and as it turns out anything i rent under the age of 25, and as long as i am dependent on them, then i am covered by their home owners insurance, we have State Farm, so you might want to check into that so you dont have to pay for another powerbook

good luck and i hope things get better

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.