Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlegend

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
DC
I found some stores should be selling 500 GB WD Passport (2.5") drives on Black Friday for $60. Could I remove the hard drive from the WD and install it on my macbook? And would I then be able to take my current hard drive and put it back in the WD case for more storage?

dlegend

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
DC
awesome! Any tips on how to take it apart? I think I'm going to buy 2 so I can have one in my mac and another as a clone.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
You should look around on this for the newer models because I think WD was the brand that changed the way their external drives are setup inside the case. The change made it so you can't easily disconnect the SATA connection from the USB connection; instead making it into a single non-removable piece.

Dee908

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2008
awesome! Any tips on how to take it apart? I think I'm going to buy 2 so I can have one in my mac and another as a clone.

there are loads of videos on Youtube showing how easy it is to do this, my question is however, if i do this will the data on it be lost when I do a clean installation of snow leopard?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
there are loads of videos on Youtube showing how easy it is to do this, my question is however, if i do this will the data on it be lost when I do a clean installation of snow leopard?

That's what happens when you do a clean installation yes… all the data on it is erased.

thomas998

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
You should look around on this for the newer models because I think WD was the brand that changed the way their external drives are setup inside the case. The change made it so you can't easily disconnect the SATA connection from the USB connection; instead making it into a single non-removable piece.

I don't think it was WD that did this... I've done it for two different computers both using a WD pocket drive as the hard drive donor. The only difference I saw from the two drives was the difficulting in taken the two drives apart. The older ones were easier to take apart the newer ones are harder and if you aren't careful will break off parts of the case to the point that you can't put them back together for a good fit later... but in neither case were the drives hard wired to anything inside.

sfreehill

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009
Fyi..

FYI.. I just purchased the new passport 1TB drive in hopes I could remove it and use as an internal but no dice.. The drive no longer has the removable USB adapter. It is a specialized drive for external only with a USB port hard wired to the circuit board instead of the typical power connector... No more mixing /matching ;(

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
FYI.. I just purchased the new passport 1TB drive in hopes I could remove it and use as an internal but no dice.. The drive no longer has the removable USB adapter. It is a specialized drive for external only with a USB port hard wired to the circuit board instead of the typical power connector... No more mixing /matching ;(

I knew I wasn't imagining things!

Thanks/Sorry for finding that out for everyone else.. :(

Cave Man

macrumors 604

Just one more reason to not buy Western Digital. It's about the sh!++!est company out there. Their "customer service" also sucks.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
I've had four WD desktop drives and three failed within 3 years. The one that pi$$ed me off the most failed at 11 months. Their tech support had me reinitialize the drive and it worked for 2 more months then failed for good. Since the warranty was only 12 months, they would not replace it.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I've had four WD desktop drives and three failed within 3 years. The one that pi$$ed me off the most failed at 11 months. Their tech support had me reinitialize the drive and it worked for 2 more months then failed for good. Since the warranty was only 12 months, they would not replace it.
LOL! I would have been pissed off too. I can see why you think so little of them. Its reasons like this that I have decided to go for separate drives and enclosures from now on as the drives often come with 3-5 year warranties whereas the pre-built ones are only one.

HellDiverUK

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
Belfast, UK

WD are without a doubt the best drive makers out there. We rarely have failures with WD drives at work, and I support a huge number of machines.

If you're seeing that many failures there's two possibilities:

1. Where you got the drives mishandled them.
2. You mishandled the drives.

I've still got machines out on the floor that are 5+ years old, running the original WD 80GB units, and they run 24/7.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
WD are without a doubt the best drive makers out there. We rarely have failures with WD drives at work, and I support a huge number of machines. If you're seeing that many failures there's two possibilities:

1. Where you got the drives mishandled them.

They came from different places - NewEgg, PCConnection and Office Depot.

2. You mishandled the drives.

So, I've mishandled 3 of 4 WD drives, but none of 8 Samsungs, 6 Seagates or 3 Hitachis? Can you give me a p value and confidence interval, too? :rolleyes:

You left out possibility 3:

3. Western Digital drives suck almost as bad as their customer service.

That's the one I'll take. ;)

Skippy440

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2009
I've used exclusively WD external drives and haven't had any issues with any of them.
Currently using a 1TB WD My essential book and love it so far.
I would recommend that you invest in an external drive that is AC adapter powered rather than just USB powered. Seem more reliable.

I guess it depends on what day of the week it's made.......:D

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Not if you first clone your internal drive to the external drive. Then, after you swap the two drives, you have your complete installation back. That is, if you haven't put any crucial files on other partitions than your boot partition.

Dee908

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2008
Not if you first clone your internal drive to the external drive. Then, after you swap the two drives, you have your complete installation back. That is, if you haven't put any crucial files on other partitions than your boot partition.

I have no internal hard drive right now, dropped my Macbook and it crashed, so currently I have a 250GB WD Passport and a 1.5TB WD Elements, I have some data, maybe 100GB+ of information on my 250GB Passport which I'd like to remove from it's shell and install into my Macbook to replace the failed internal hard drive. I asked because I've been having trouble moving data from the WD Passport onto the bigger WD Elements, copying and pasting only results in multiple CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) Errors, so I was hoping I could just install Snow Leopard without losing my data

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
I know you can choose the archive and install option when installing Mac OS X over an older installation. But I have to admit that I don't know if you can do the same without deleting your non-OS data that's already on the disk.

Anyone?

Not to make fun of you – I feel your pain – but your situation is exactly why I make regular clone backups of my MacBook's internal hard drive on both a 2,5" external drive and a 3,5" external drive. Especially the former is relevant here, as that allows me to be back up and running by simply replacing my MacBook's drive with the drive inside the 2,5" enclosure in case of drive failure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.