Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ihra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Hello,

I am sysadmin who has small end-of-life server at home (Centos) that handles currently:

Local:
- file sharing
- music library sharing
- music video sharing
- user data sharing
- network sharing (firewall, small-time QoS)

Net:
- 3 (very)low-traffic hobby sites that use s9y / Joomla with bulletin board
(apache, php, mysql, some own programs)
- scp/ssh upload/download for the hobby pictures/videos
(and processing)
- mail server with 5-10 low-volume users

My local network is Apple only (few Snow Leopards, Tiger and iPhone etc), occasional visitors might have windows.

Now what I am studying is can Mac Mini server handle all the above (and more... I am starting to code for OS X) and occasional video watching (I use xbox media center currently)??

My current load for 1.6 Ghz mobile Pentium-M server with 512 Mb is neglible thus I know Mac Mini can handle that but as I sometimes need to watch filmed material (hobby-related) I think server could also do that if hooked to TV (Plex).

In my case I'd like to get rid of my old (noisy) server that is reaching its end of lifetime, my xbox that is also 5 years old and can't view more than 720p and also to supply address / iCal info and support iPhones. Centralized Time Machine is a plus.

Also I am ITCHING to start fiddling with Mac OS X Server (if you need to ask why, you are not understanding...) and as in 1-2 years, I am might also need to support it at work (with others of course).

I know it is not good practise to use server as a home theater but... few hours a week... otherwise I need another Mini just to watch TV (or some hardware media player but they don't handle the raw camera formats that xbmc/plex handles easily). Benefits for the size and electricity are pretty obvious.

Eric M

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2009
UK
Yes you CAN

That is exactly what I do on my MacMini - running server tasks and watching movies...make sure you invest in some extra RAM though (2GB minimum)

ihra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
That is exactly what I do on my MacMini - running server tasks and watching movies...make sure you invest in some extra RAM though (2GB minimum)

Server version includes already 4 gigabytes (along the 2x500 gb hard drives).
(and it is 2,53 Gigahertz processor)

How much processor load does movie (like 720p) take on Plex in Mini? Mail etc. running fine along?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.