PDA

View Full Version : How do you... quote?

King Cobra
Jul 30, 2004, 10:42 PM
All right. It's late at night, and I'm bored, but not tired. So here's the scoop: When quoting posts, how do you do it? Do you quote part/all of a person's post and then respond below the quoted text? If not, then do you place the quoted text after your response? If so, then why do you use that format? Also, when you quote one person at a time for multiple quotes and respond to each section of quoted text, do you do it all in one post or in multiple posts? Additionally, do you use the quote tags or your own customized quoting system (or a combination)?

I'm sure I'm leaving out a bunch of possibilities... oh, I got one. When quoting, do you tend to quote a page and a half of text (or a person's entire post if it's that long) just to respond to a couple of lines in his/her post, and then respond to the huge quoted text with a one or two line response? If so, why do you do that?

This should be an interesting thread. :D

EDIT: All right, here are two nice questions: When faced with the decision to reply or quote, and you aren't sure which option "feels right," which do you decide, and, to you, what determines that decision?

themadchemist
Jul 30, 2004, 10:45 PM
It depends on how I'm responding to a post, really. Generally, I'll quote a larger sampling if I'm addressing the main idea or if I'm using that main idea to launch into something else. Also, I tend to quote an entire post more often when the post is short.

However, if I'm trying to address specific points, or, more frequently, cut a person's arguments down to size, then I'll quote bits and address each part.

vniow
Jul 30, 2004, 10:49 PM
I can see this thread soon in its place on the mantle by the fireplace with all the other threads that deal with such wonderfully useless psychoanalysis subjects such as this.

I quote how I damn well please.

themadchemist
Jul 30, 2004, 10:52 PM
I can see this thread soon in its place on the mantle by the fireplace with all the other threads that deal with such wonderfully useless psychoanalysis subjects such as this.

I quote how I damn well please.

you're no fun ;)

blackfox
Jul 30, 2004, 10:54 PM
OK, although your post made my head spin for some reason, I will try to answer...
To respond to a specific poster comment, I quote their whole post and usually trim it down to the appropriate segment relevant to my response. I also try to insert a "...snip" when I trim a post for the benefit of fellow members for an attempt at proper context.

For responding to multiple posts, I use tabs, and manually copy-paste and tag for each poster, often using the method listed above. It is time-consumng, but I haven't figured out a better way of doing it. I find that a separate post for each quote you wish to respond to is poor etiquette as readers of the thread will have to trudge through it all...if I posted more in the regular forums (as opposed to the Political Forums, where I spend most of my time), I might be tempted to post for each response to increase my post count...but it doesn't matter for me...I will not get a avatar till 2010, probably, even though I have been here a while and including Political posts would probably be a 68020 or whatever by now...(end pity party)

So there you go...

*edit* for the edit...when faced between "reply" and "quote", I usually go for the latter due to the fact that other posts may slip in between the time I am writing an posting...it is just less confusing that way...if I know it is a slow time for posting, I will usually use "reply"...

flyfish29
Jul 30, 2004, 11:04 PM
When quoting posts, how do you do it?

Like this! :D

sorry, couldn't resist. My head is spinning both from my research design class project I am working on and your post about this topic.

Basically I tend to only quote the part of the original post that I am replying to or is relavant to the reply I am forming.

I tend to quote a single poster in a single post...then use a second post for another poster/quote. Probably me being lazy, but easier and makes for a clearer post on my end.

by the way, get some sleep...or at least a hobby other than electronic quoting. :eek:

Sun Baked
Jul 30, 2004, 11:04 PM
...I quote... useless psychoanalysis subjects such as this...So do I. ;)
Cut and paste is fine as long as you don't intentionally misquote the subject. http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2622

But in the political section you are bound to see some creative uses of quotes.

Nermal
Jul 30, 2004, 11:28 PM
If I'm replying to the last post in a thread, then I just use the 'Reply' button and don't bother with quoting, since it logically flows anyway. I also sometimes use this technique when replying to the first post, if it will be obvious that I am doing so.

If I'm replying to a previous post, or attempting to avoid confusion, I quote the whole post if it's short, or just the appropriate parts if it's long. I place the quote above my reply.

Happy? :rolleyes:

blackfox
Jul 31, 2004, 12:52 AM
So do I. ;)
Cut and paste is fine as long as you don't intentionally misquote the subject. http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2622

But in the political section you are bound to see some creative uses of quotes.
*ahem*...don't start w/ that now...we are mostly well-behaved and ethical, thankyou very much...