PDA

View Full Version : anyone seen my startup sound?

[CoRdOvA]
Jul 30, 2004, 11:07 PM
Hi,
i know a lot of people dont actually like the startup sound, or want to get rid of it, but.....

for about a week now, my start up sound has decided to just disappear! every time i turn the computer on, there is no sound.

-yes, i have my volume up.
-i have checked it starting up with internal and external speakers - no luck.

i'm just concerned that maybe there is something going wrong and things are going to get worse... or maybe i just accidently changed an option or something??

if anyone has any ideas how to get it back, it would be greatly appreciated. I dont really mind that much that it has gone, but it makes me think that things arent running to their best.
Thanks!

ScotRobson
Jul 31, 2004, 06:07 PM
']Hi,
i know a lot of people dont actually like the startup sound, or want to get rid of it, but.....

for about a week now, my start up sound has decided to just disappear! every time i turn the computer on, there is no sound.

i'm just concerned that maybe there is something going wrong and things are going to get worse... or maybe i just accidently changed an option or something??

if anyone has any ideas how to get it back, it would be greatly appreciated. I dont really mind that much that it has gone, but it makes me think that things arent running to their best.
Thanks!

Sorry, I havn't seen it anywhere! lol Not much of a help but thought you deserved at least one reply! Come on guys someone must know? I was always under the impression that when you restarted and you heard the noise it meant that it had restarted properly - if the sound is not there does it not mean something is wrong? I dunno

Logik
Jul 31, 2004, 06:54 PM
my powerbook only plays the sound when i don't have it muted or turned down.

for example. if i shutdown with the volume down i won't hear it. if i shut it down so that i can hear other sounds in os x then i hear the startup sound before i get the grey startup screen.

but you said your volume was up.. i don' tknow what to tell ya

DVDSP
Jul 31, 2004, 06:58 PM
This won't be any help to you but the same thing happened to me about 2 months ago, the chime just didn't happen. 2 weeks ago it came back with no action on my part that I could tell. I haven't had any other troubles.

Dunepilot
Jul 31, 2004, 07:13 PM
']Hi,

Thanks!

I'm sorry that I can't offer you any specific advice to help, but just thought that I would add that I absolutely love the startup sound - it's one of the most reassuring sounds to my ears. Sounds bizarre, but the startup sound tells me I'm dealing with a Mac, and just makes me damned happy. Just my 2c, and a bit mad, but I do love my macs

quagmire
Jul 31, 2004, 08:11 PM
I also love the sound. Normally the sound means all systems are go. I don't think XP has that kind of system or does it? The sound is cool. Even though I have taking a liking to my old Powermac 6100 sound. But, the dong is better. Heck I love all the sounds of the macs from 94-present.

Back on topic, does anything else sound instead of the chime? Or is there no noise and justs starts up? When did you get the pbook? Did it chime before?

tech4all
Jul 31, 2004, 08:31 PM
I don't think XP has that kind of system or does it?

I know PCs use that "BEEP" to tell you about the system. Like if its one short beep, all systems are go. But if you get like 3 beeps or long one or something alongs those lines...."Housten, we have a problem".... :D

(course I'm not an expert on that, so I could be wrong)

Macmaniac
Jul 31, 2004, 09:25 PM
The only thing I can think that you have done is that you have turned down the sound before shutting down, when the computer starts up it uses the sound level from the last shutdown with the chime. Also if you have headphones plugged in you will not hear the startup sound unless you have them on.

broken_keyboard
Jul 31, 2004, 09:47 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong - you get a broken glass sound if there's something wrong I believe. There was something on the Apple support I read the other day about the startup sound disappearing if you have USB speakers plugged in through the hub in your cinema display.

lisius_kent
Jul 31, 2004, 10:28 PM
This happened on my B&W G3 and I reseted the P-RAM and it worked fine.

Nermal
Aug 1, 2004, 01:12 AM
Heck I love all the sounds of the macs from 94-present.

My brother's 5260 makes a rather humourous sound when there's no memory installed. Hard to explain a sound, of course, but it's like an ominous DUM-DUM-DUMMMM, followed by drums and a cymbal. :eek: :D

krimson
Aug 1, 2004, 02:45 AM
kinda OT, but i always wanted to change it to the THX speaker test.

titaniumducky
Aug 1, 2004, 05:09 AM
Repair permissions to see if it helps.

mojohanna
Aug 1, 2004, 06:56 AM
This is probably far fetched b ut in the last edition of Macworld someone asked how to change it. MW responded it could not be done bc it was part of the system hardware. However, they did come out with a way to turn it on/off via f keys. It doesnt sound like that is your problem, but they do mention that slooking at the "free StartupSound.prefPane (find.macworld.com/0030) and application that lets you set the volume of the startup sound, anwhere from muted to really, really loud"
The full article is on page 80 of the MW september 2004 issue under the Mac OSX hints.

7on
Aug 1, 2004, 04:13 PM
All that prefpane does is when you shutdown your Mac it mutes the volume. And when you start it up, it unmutes it (or lower/raise the volume of course). The Boot sound is located on the logic board I believe and is there to diagnose a problem. If you're booting up fine, then there's no problem. But I'd call AppleCare or take it to an AppleStore to have them check on it as in the future you might have difficulty pinpointing a problem.

Like if you hear a bong and the computer doesn't startup, it's hdd failure. And if you don't hear the bong and there's no bootup, it's usually logicboard related.

NusuniAdmin
Aug 1, 2004, 05:30 PM
have u tried resetting hte pram?

startup holding command + option + p + r

MacsRgr8
Aug 2, 2004, 02:42 PM
Are you by any chance a non-Admin user?

I think I've seen this at work. The "Admin" user has the sound muted, and thus no sound at startup, even if the "normal" user of that machine does have to volume turned up.
Not too sure if that was exactly the case... but could be food for thought. :rolleyes:

If the Mac is your own... then forget this post (you probably are an Admin user) :D

Anyway... try resetting PRAM as stated above.

io89
Aug 2, 2004, 05:05 PM
I have lost the startup sound several times. Each time I was able to restore it by resetting the PRAM: hold down the command, option, P, and R keys when starting up. hold until you hear the starup sound a second time.
I know it is difficult to hold down 4 keys at once, but that is the price we pay...

[CoRdOvA]
Aug 2, 2004, 08:30 PM
I have lost the startup sound several times. Each time I was able to restore it by resetting the PRAM: hold down the command, option, P, and R keys when starting up. hold until you hear the starup sound a second time.
I know it is difficult to hold down 4 keys at once, but that is the price we pay...

Firstly, thanks everyone for your input...

io89 and NusuniAdmin, i tried resetting the PRAM, but no luck. Well,, i think i held the keys down for long enough... i couldnt hear the first or second startup sound so i wasnt sure :P

I will check out a few of the other suggestions.. not looking good so far.
Thanks everyone!

King Cobra
Aug 2, 2004, 08:51 PM
Hold down the keys for at least two chimes (five times to be sure). If you're still not sure how long that is, then hold them down for a little over a minute, then release.

NusuniAdmin
Aug 2, 2004, 10:24 PM
Hold down the keys for at least two chimes (five times to be sure). If you're still not sure how long that is, then hold them down for a little over a minute, then release.

please read, he can not hear the chimes at ALL.

The screen should flicker after a few seconds after booting while holding the keys....let the screen do this a couple of time. If the school does not flash on then off quickly then ah well.

siliconjones
Aug 2, 2004, 10:58 PM
You could try and hit the CUDA button.

[CoRdOvA]
Aug 2, 2004, 11:33 PM

The screen should flicker after a few seconds after booting while holding the keys....let the screen do this a couple of time. If the school does not flash on then off quickly then ah well.

he is actually a she by the way :o

Tried to do the PRAM thing for longer (more than a minute) but still nothing.... Also, during this process, the screen is just black.. no flickering either... although sometimes i can hear some crackle noises from my speakers... this is probably a bad wire or something.. so dont know if it is anything to note. the speakers work perfectly once started up.

think this is where i just accept that my startup chime has gone on holiday and may not return.

siliconjones, what and where is the CUDA button?? :confused:

thanks everyone for your help :)

Duff-Man
Aug 2, 2004, 11:50 PM
']siliconjones, what and where is the CUDA button??Duff-Man says...it is a small button on the motherboard, usually very close to where the battery is located...I didn't see where you said exactly what hardware you have so I can't be more direct (it's late so maybe a read over that....). If you unplug the power (always a good idea if you are opening the case) and hold the button once for a good 5 count....that ought to do it....oh yeah!

[CoRdOvA]
Aug 2, 2004, 11:55 PM
Duff-Man says...it is a small button on the motherboard, usually very close to where the battery is located...I didn't see where you said exactly what hardware you have so I can't be more direct (it's late so maybe a read over that....). If you unplug the power (always a good idea if you are opening the case) and hold the button once for a good 5 count....that ought to do it....oh yeah!

ohhh... that sounds kinda scary... :(

i have a 15" al powerbook... and what does this button actually do?? reset something? as you can tell, i'm really up with the technical lingo.... ;)

Makosuke
Aug 3, 2004, 06:37 AM
Sounds like you've checked the obvious--reset PRAM, make sure the volume isn't turned all the way down at shutdown, make sure the speakers actually work, etc. The popping sounds you hear while doing a PRAM reset are normal, assuming they're coming from your internal PowerBook speakers--that's the audio circuitry being powered up, which produces a bit of static. The same happens when most speakers/amplifiers first get turned on.

Here's two additional suggestions, assuming your PowerBook has up-to-date firmware (Software Update would tell you if you didn't--try running it if you don't usually), and you don't want to reinstall the OS (which I'm not so sure would help anyway, since the chime should be lower level than the OS):

One, if you REALLY want to reset everything, boot into the rather scary Open Firmware (Command-Option-O-F at startup; you'll get a white screen with a command line prompt), then type "reset-all" (with the hyphen, no quotes). I think the computer will restart immediately at that point, but you might have to type "shutdown" or "reboot" afterwards (or just hold down the power button to turn the computer off).

Two, you can do a disk check (which is always a good idea once in a while) by starting up from the CD that came with your computer or a Panther CD, selecting "Disk Utility" from the menu, and using it to check your hard drive. Probalby nothing wrong, but worth a shot if you don't do it occasionally as maintenance.

Three, the only time that I've seen a Mac not produce an audible startup chime when the volume was on was when there's something plugged into the headphone jack--it routes sound through the headphones automatically. Perhaps something has gone physically wrong with your jack, causing the Mac to incorrectly assume that's where the sound should be going, although if that were the case I'd expect you'd have no sound after startup, either.

Not much helpful here, but good luck.

Makosuke
Aug 3, 2004, 06:41 AM
Almost forgot; if you want to try the CUDA switch (more accurately called the Power Management Unit (PMU) reset button), here's an Apple Knowledgebase article that explains the process:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

(The instructions for your computer are down near the bottom, and it looks like yours probably doesn't even require opening up the keyboard--just holding down Shift-Control-Option-Power. But check that article to make sure.)

Bedawyn
Aug 3, 2004, 07:18 AM
*blink* Thank you so much for starting this thread! My startup sound has also vanished in the last week. I've always thought it was too loud -- but I also use it as an alarm clock in the morning, so I want it back!

My sound isn't muted, and the only thing I can think of I've done in the right time frame that might be remotely related is removing the volume control from the menu bar. Have to try the suggestions here when I get home from work.

EGT
Aug 3, 2004, 07:26 AM
My brother had the same problem with his powerbook. Resetting the power management unit did the trick, although i still think he had the volume turned off :rolleyes:

I love the start up sound. Gives me tingles down my spine!

King Cobra
Aug 3, 2004, 08:28 AM
I did read. He said that his computer doesn't make a startup sound. (I've been following the thread since it had 8 posts, so don't think I haven't read it.) That's why I included the "a little over a minute" comment. Besides, I said both the number of chimes and the time parts so that others would become familiar with how the PRAM reset works.

siliconjones
Aug 3, 2004, 09:06 AM
Thanks for answering about the CUDA button Duff-Man. Yep cordova, It's the equivalent of pulling the cmos battery for a few minutes.