PDA

View Full Version : iBook sleep and shut down

stoneage
Jul 31, 2004, 08:15 AM
A quick newbie iBook user?. If I sleep the iBook instead of shutting it down, how long is the battery good for? I have been turning it off, but then I don't like waiting for the restart cycle if I have to turn it on again 10-15 minutes later. Is it OK to transport it in Sleep mode? I have been losing some stratup items on reboot, even though they are in the log in items, so I don't like firing them up again either. Any help would be appreciated.

ftaok
Jul 31, 2004, 09:16 AM
A quick newbie iBook user?. If I sleep the iBook instead of shutting it down, how long is the battery good for? I have been turning it off, but then I don't like waiting for the restart cycle if I have to turn it on again 10-15 minutes later. Is it OK to transport it in Sleep mode? I have been losing some stratup items on reboot, even though they are in the log in items, so I don't like firing them up again either. Any help would be appreciated.Most Apple laptop users (around this forum anyways) sleep their Macs rather than shutdown/startup. Typically, you lose a little battery juice while sleeping. On my iBook G3/500mhz with 10.2.8, I lose about 1% per hour while sleeping. With earlier versions of OS X, I lost more power while sleeping.

As far as travelling while sleeping, I think it's perfectly OK. Especially if you're flying and the security people ask you to turn it on. Just open the lid and it'll wake up in seconds, rather than taking 2 minutes to boot up.

varmit
Jul 31, 2004, 09:42 AM
I sleep my iBook everywhere I go with it. Then I open it up and bam, I'm ready to go. Sleep mode is like having the computer off, just that its waiting to be opened again and it displays what was being done last. So it is safe to transport in sleep mode.

I think my iBook, with its bad battery due to leaving it on the plug for too long and not discharging the battery, I can get a good 2-3 days in sleep mode.

I have put my iBook though secruity at the airport too, the x-ray machines don't seem to hurt it since its basically off. Then once through, I can sit down, open it up, get some work done, close it, get on the plane, open it up again, work some more. All the time, having it boot right to OS X with no waiting.